Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Reasonable point here, for sure.

With the keeping, I'm looking forward to seeing how much Crepeau has improved. He is still young for a keeper but tbh when he first came on the radar with the Impact and Canada, I wasn't that impressed by him. Now that he has a few more years under his belt and a very strong most recent USL season on his c.v., I'm looking forward to seeing what he now brings to the table.

The central defence situation is key. The highest profile signing is coming back from meniscus surgery. There are a lot of people on the Argentine's bandwagon right now but I am hoping he doesn't have any glaring negatives that suddenly come to the fore where we are left saying, "Now I see why his club loaned him out." Someone from that quartet (or qunitet, if you include the keeper) needs to step up and be the leader of the defence.

Come the summer window, even though it will only be a half season into his tenure, MDS will get a couple of clear answers and will probably be making some more moves (not just guys coming in, but guys getting shipped out in return). Some are going to deliver on their promise, some will surprise and over-deliver, and we'll see flops. Hopefully none or maybe one, but someone's going to disappoint.

But in the end, I'm hoping to see good product on the field and a team that's tough to beat. And when you're tough to beat, good things happen.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    1) Don't care. It is ceremonial. 2) Max. 3) Possession! 4) Levis 5) They will do fine. 6) This will be the hardest lineup for Canadians to crack in our MLS era. 7) No idea.

PS. # 6) As I've said for years now, playing time is NOT given, it is TAKEN. Taken by the player most able to help his coach keep his job. Taken by players who are the best option their coach has.

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    After this most recent Levis injury setback in the final preseason match, I would not be surprised at all to see some Garber bucks used to get an LB from elsewhere in the league.

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'm kind of thinking they are kicking themselves for letting Marcel go right about now. Levis needs to stay healthy. So far his career has been one injury after another. I hope he can stay healthy when he returns or others will pass him by.

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I think the Glass City rumour in the very early off season about the Caps going after former Atlanta FC (now current FC Cincinnati) LB/LWB Greg Garza definitely had some legs but they couldn't pull it off. My hunch is that they opted to go with Levis and PC until the summer window where more guy would be available from abroad. Plan B looks to involve trading for someone in MLS. It may end up costing many more Garber bucks then they had originally had hoped.

6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    With De Jong, I honestly think his form at the end of last season looked like someone who had lost too much tread from tires. I think he is done at this level as well as with the NT but I he can provide leadership and cred to the new CPL.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its not the time to bring in a new LB- PC has to be given the opportunity

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    PC Giro will be the starting LB in the home opener and that is the way it should be until he proves he cant do the job

personally, i dont think that at this stage of his career that levis is MLS quality and a new LB will have to be found later in the season- brett needs seasoning in the USL or some other 2nd tier league- he isnt a solid passer to create the counter, makes crucial mistakes and is prone to watching the ball and falls asleep at the back post crosses

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PC played LB at Orlando but didn't get many minutes in last couple of years. One of Orlando's strongest players was their starting LB so this will be a chance for PC to show what he can do. He should certainly be better technically than Levis who is more a depth player, imo.

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    agree but i wouldnt be surprised that MDS upgrades at LB by the summer unless some player really grabs the ring- its hard for me to see either PC or levis being the answer- cornelius uses a left foot and teibert has been there before- as yet, no player really looks like the quality needed at LB and opposing teams will be sure to go at the LB flank

11. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They went with Cornelius. He looked like a CB out of position.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yup-- and all 3 goals came down nerwinski's flank- MDS has 2 positions to address and upgrade- we can expect all opponents to use the same strategy as minnie- DOWN OUR FLANKS

13. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The first goal happened because Minnesota had the freedom of the pitch to attack down Cornelius's side without any defensive support from midfield or the winger on that side (on that specific play, Lass).

The Korean is going to take awhile to get up to speed but I think he will become a dangerous attacking presence out of midfield. Erice seems to be a good midfield distribution hub and defensive reader of the game but he's looks to be best as a deep lying guy. Felipe's on the bubble: doesn't have the range to support the back line and that was really lacking in defensive transitions last night. MDS needs to address this. Perhaps he thinks Rose or a healthy Rusty can provide more stamina and defensive presence in that midfield position. If not, that's where the next bigger money signing's going to happen in the summer. I'm sure they're bringing in another bona fide LB but I don't think they'll be breaking the bank with that acquisition.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's be fair. Obviously, Nerwinski gave up a PK. On the second goal, that was all on Reyna coughing it up at center circle and then great execution by Minnesota to counter and score. Nerwinski was pushed up the flank as he should have been in a position to get ball from Reyna who had no business turning it over. The goal had nothing to do with Nerwinski although he tried to recover and help out CB's. Third goal was the Caps trying to playing it out of the back off a goal kick. Nerwinski is pushed up flank as is typical on a goal kick. Godoy passes it short to Erice in middle who turns it over right at top of box and that results in goal. Nothing to do with Nerwinski. Not saying the Caps couldn't do better than Nerwinski but I do believe it is simplistic to pin the problems on him.

Most of the passing by Loons went down left flank of Caps. I don't fault Cornelius so much for that as I thought he did surprisingly well for the situation he was put in. However, there was little help by the midfield in front of the outside backs and that is going to cause trouble for any outside back. I wouldn't expect much defensive help when it comes to this from Reyna and Lass.

It's early days but Caps were playing against a team that was weaker than them last year did a similar rebuild. They certainly played hard. We'll see how it goes and what kind of players are added.

BearcatSA repped this.
  15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    MDS needs to find his version of LAFC's Mark-Anthony Kaye, a big engine, big range presence who can provide the fullbacks the defensive support they need out of this 4-3-3. Felipe's not that guy, imo, and you're not going to get that Davies-like defensive wing support from Reyna or Bangoura (though the latter showed much more giddy-up backtracking in the second half).

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you can only have so many on the pitch that tend toward lightweight defensively before it impacts the entirety of the team, even if they are decent attackers. Davies was a rare player in that he was practically an endline to endline winger who would get stuck in defensively along with his attacking prowess. That is huge cover for the outside back. MDS will be doing some juggling to find the right balance with these players. Will be interesting to see who is added to the roster down the road. Someone like you suggest would be a big help.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    after watching a replay of the game goals, i understand your point about the entire blame for the goals was not all on jake-- aside from his foolish high kick on the PK, the other 2 goals were cause partly by Cap give-aways- having said that, MDS and jake should have made adjustments to make sure he wouldnt be caught so far upfield as minnie had a field day on both flanks in the first half-- and it may be more on MDS than jake - the first goal of defenders is to DEFEND

i would expect adjustments to be made vs RSL who will surely try the same stratgey

further, GC is reporting that the Caps will be announcing a new LB this week- levis, cornelius and PC are obviously not the answer IMO

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you noticed, but the Minnesota outside backs were galloping up and down both flanks. It is a question of when you go and how you cover. Heck, their LB scored their second goal, won the PK off of Nerwinski and also rocketed a shot off the cross bar. If Caps are somehow able to land Garza, that would be a big addition to LB but still, the midfield and wings are going to have to provide cover at times if you are going to use the outside backs effectively.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i believe that greg garza (Atlanta in 2018) was a serious trade possibility, but cincy came in and scooped him up- how the Caps would get him now is a mystery, although cincy needs allocation money to get better players- bit i really dont see cincy selling him-- i think a LB outside MLS is the direction the Caps will go and GC is saying its going to be announced soon

i still think that MDS should have adjusted the team strategy at half-time so jake wouldnt have been so overloaded-it was obvious that minnie was going to continue to outflank us- i dont think that MDS wil make the same mistake vs RSL this coming week-- the bigger question is-- who gets the starting LB position until the new player comes in ?

20. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/20...-homegrown-goalkeeper-thomas-hasal-mls-roster

We have our 4th string keeper. We do seem to develop (and sign) a fair number of these young keepers but none really break through to the MLS level (with us or anyone else). I know keepers mature later so I'm glad we have a steady stream coming through our system, I just wish one would break through to the MLS level (at least).

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    absolutely right-- if zac mcmath moves on because he wants another crack at being #1 (not sure where unless it is USL) and 1 of the canadians becomes the backup for crepeau, then we can see something positive for the young academy players - at least crepeau is a canadian and i thought he showed well in the home opener loss, regardless of the 3 goals, none of which was his fault

if McMath leaves, the Caps have 3 young goalies and i doubt MDS will have that happen-- i can see that happening in 2020

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    THIS JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE ::

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...s-sign-iraqi-left-back-ali-adnan-loan-udinese

signing a player on a 4 month loan-- WTF-- i would have thought a loan with an option on the part of the player and Caps to sign a lt contract

unless the Caps have a july player coming in on a already-done contract, this just doesnt make sense- if there is, then 1 of sutter, PC or levis is gone or loaned out

23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^probably just coverage until the summer transfer window. Cant see them buying him and spending 2 - 5 million transfer fee on a defensive player.

24. Element 7ero

Element 7ero Member

Nov 7, 2018
    Usually MLS loan contracts all include an option to buy btw.

I'm ok with this.

The Caps need help at LB now and don't want to rush a longer term solution, whether that's externally or internally = good roster management IMO.

25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Welcome to our discussion forum!!!