Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Hey guys, my club Sporting CP just mutually terminated with Montero and the rumour is he already has a deal to join you guys, what do you think?

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been expected for some weeks and, "Welcome back, Fredy!"

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    while it hasnt been officially announced, we are READY FOR FREDY to do his stuff- amazingly, its a free transfer so Sporting Lisbon wanted to get rid of his salary-- just my guess- hopefully, he is on his way over to LA for training and preseason games

14 goals in 36 appearances in 2017 for a robo tactic game of loft and cross is pretty good results- lets hope he can do at least the same- he certainly fills in a huge hole as a striker

but i wouldnt be surprised to see another significant striker coming in July's transfer window

4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    With Montero on board, I think that the last piece they need to start off the first half of the season (until the summer transfer window) is LB depth/competition. After that, I expect some more moves in the summer. Time for the whole team to build some chemistry but stay healthy in the process.

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    YUP- and the best part is that MDS has kept his word - no spin-doctoring, but straight, well-planned prep for the 2019 season- probably will do some tinkering in july, depending on how the team is performing which might be ragged for the first several months

lets all be patient

Element 7ero repped this.
  6. Goaler

Goaler Member

Bristol City, Slavia Prague, Pacific FC, AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Vancouver Whitecaps, Philadelphia Union
    England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Montero looks to be not a bad signing, hopefully he still has some goals left, WCaps are lacking firepower right now, need to sign more offense.

7. Element 7ero

Element 7ero Member

Nov 7, 2018
    I'm excited by Montero's return and the Caps roster overhaul as a whole.

There will be growing pains along the way and signings that don't pan out, but as long as they show gradual improvement and are mostly fun to watch I'll be fine with it.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    according to GlassCity and the Mole, MDS has significant money through TAM and the owners to add up to 3 significant signings- i can see MDS adding 1 more before the season starts and waiting to see how the first 3 months go before the July transfer window

9. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They need to shore up the LB depth right now, so that's one area where they can spend but make sure not to overpay. You can probably get a serviceable type from within the league in a trade for Garber bucks (iirc, that's how Justin Morrow came to TFC).

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'm glad Freddie's back. He isn't the fastest forward but fast enough and quick on the direction change. Not the biggest but can hold the ball up with great control & smart fakes as good as anyone. Not the tallest but great in the air with his headers. He uses his smarts to compensate for any shortcomings and is a very effective forward. At 31 he still has a couple of years and we've got 2 very promising young players.

It's weird but I get a sense that things will work out this year. I know there will be problems and it won't be smooth sailing the whole way but I just get a sense of confidence that we:

A) Have a plan for more than 6 months
    B) Have the right level of experience at head coach
    C) Despite (perhaps because of) a complete purge we now have the players to execute

Element 7ero repped this.
  11. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    This Montero re-signing is a good one. It'll be good for Reyna, too, who played his best working alongside him. He'll likely be a better fit for what MDS is trying to do here.

12. Goaler

Goaler Member

Bristol City, Slavia Prague, Pacific FC, AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Vancouver Whitecaps, Philadelphia Union
    England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Montero wasn't even on the bench today. Not much time left in preseason to get him bedded in and going.

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Neither were Érik Godoy, Inbeom Hwang, and Jasser Khmiri all of whom have been signed before Freddy so I wouldn't read much into it.

14. Goaler

Goaler Member

England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yes but still just 2 matches left to get these players in, not much time to get them acclimated, WCaps could start the season very slow, which would not be good.

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it is a multi-season project!

16. Goaler

Goaler Member

England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Surely the goal is to make playoffs, even if it is multi season don't want to bring players in late to preseason.

17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, just s little humor. Playoffs definitely must be a goal.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you forgot the biggest change-- an owner- jeff mallett, very wealthy and a victoria-born guy- that brings his presence and ambition to take the Club to a much higher level- he's a proven leader in sports and was probably tired with majority owner, greg kerfoot, being The Shadow- lets all hope jeff becomes the majority owner

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

it takes TIME to make a new team... which it basically is- panic in july if we are near the bottom

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    we are happy to have fredy back- he got 14goals in 2017, playing for a naive head coach who believed in long kicks up the field to a 5'9" striker- we are Ready For Fredy- new head coach, new tactics and hopefully better supporting players

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    PRE-SEASON PROJECT- completed

NEXT PROJECT- june-july-
    reckon 2-3 additions

BIGGEST QUESTIONS HEADING INTO THE SEASON-

1. who will be the team captain?
    2. who will be the starting goalie?
    3. what will be the effect of montero, hwang and godoy to the starting lineup?
    4. who will be the starting LB if MDS starts with a 4 player defense?
    5. how long will the fans be supportive with the major overhaul that will take time to jell as a TEAM?
    6. how much quality time will the young canadians be given?
    7. how much additional money has been set aside for the july transfer window and will it be 1 significant known/unknown DP?

22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I hope it's Crepeau. He's a solid keeper who deserves a shot at this level. I think he'd do well.

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m interested to see if Hwang In-beom can handle the physicality of the league.

BearcatSA repped this.
  24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    another starting canadian would be great- the bottom line is a competitive MLS team needs a reliable goalie that can get even better with more time; and he has to be a goalie that the defense has confidence in and that he can communicate effectively with; and he has to be able to dominate inside the box area and distribute the ball for the counter

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i am confident that retired Cap player, YP Lee, has had a lot of say on this file and that hwang will adapt to the rigors of MLS- the physicality, the speed, the skill and the travel

i think hwang will be a terrific AMF- he has his eye on the euro prize and will be motivated to do well here for 2 years (almiron footprint)