Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Zac & Max for keepers. We now have 4 keepers so I think we are set there.
    Victor Giro at LB from Orlando. So Levi, deJong & Giro to cover the left side.

Looks like we have decent competition and depth at two positions. Now for the other 9 :)

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    getting mcmath for mezquida is a very good trade- and with crepeau also being acquired from montreal, MDS has upgraded the goalie situation IMO

apparently, the Club is trying to buy-out juarez (hallelujah), trying to trade hurtado (a move would be good for eric) and deciding whether to take a flyer on techera whose contract ends december 31 (dont know why as i hoped the Bug was gone); we can assume that kamara is gone as MDS and the Club wont payout anywhere near $1mill and rumor has it that kei was somewhat of a shit disturber in the locker room (he had that problem in columbus, but not sure how true it was in vancouver... but his on-field enthusiasm for davies was one special memory for a wasted 2018)

MDS is laying his foundation and our basic structure is improving- he has got rid of a lot of fringe players and building from the goal outwards- next must be CBs and dealing with kendall waston

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The BUG rumor on Glass City-- Techera’s signing with a team outside of MLS, but the Caps will make a bonafide offer to retain his rights.

.. and then sell him for money to the team he wants to go to - makes sense to me as long as he isnt wearing a Cap jersey again

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unprotected list:
    Unprotected Players:
    1. Jose Aja (CB) 1
    2. Myer Bevan (FW) 1
    3. Marcel de Jong (LB)
    4. Roberto Dominguez (CB) 1
    5. Marvin Emnes (W) 1
    6. Sean Franklin (RB) 2
    7. Aly Ghazal (CM) 1
    8. Efraín Juárez (CM)
    9. Kei Kamara (FW) 2
    10. Stefan Marinovic (GK) 1
    11. Aaron Maund (CB) 1
    12. Jordon Mutch (CM) 1
    13. Brian Rowe (GK) 2
    14. Brek Shea (W) 1

No big surprises.

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I don't see them getting a player selected but you never know.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Kamara. I can see him getting selected. I would in a heartbeat. His hold up and scrambler style is excellent.

7. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I don't see him getting selected in Stage 1 of re-entry, but you never know. Possibly Stage 2, where he might be signed to a cap friendlier deal.

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the stink is washing away. I love the house cleaning so far! Go MDS!

MLS Champs in 2020 :)

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now the hard work begins.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    not sad about it at all- after his in-season comments and especially being the captain, kendall needed to go- and while i agree that a person's faith should be respected and honored, i dont believe in kendall's pregame gestures- God has more important things than a soccer game

getting $750 000 in MLS money for kendall and an international spot plus saving over $604 000 in salary is a winner for the Club

the Club is also saving over $1 mill in kamara's salary, $700 000 for ghazal, mutch at $284 000, aja at $240 000 shea at $745 000, maund at $189 000, marinovic at $162 500, rowe at $135 000, mezquida at $130 000; and we can assume the Bug is gone along with his salary of $412 000; they also get MLS money of $750 000 for the selling of davies

i wait for the news that juarez has been bought out- a saving of $621 00- and blondell to be loaned out or traded for a $295 000 saving

with the moves so far, MDS has over $6.9 mill USD to play with-- and then the owners money from the davies transfer will also kick in and i reckon that to be in the $4-5 mill range

MDS is spot-on with all the moves done so far and staying true to his plan- his words are believable and that goes a longgggg way in my book- he is cleaning house and building the core and we can anticipate 3 DP signings arriving no later than July, 2019 to make the difference...but we all need to be patient and the 2019 playoffs will be hit or miss... BUT we will see progress, stability, vision and most of all HOPE and PRIDE

i see 2020 as a a strong vindication of his plan and 2021 as a serious MLS Cup contender

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    my belief and excitement are returning

13. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
  14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They need to get a really good CB leader in the back line.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    AT THIS POINT:

FC Cincinnati has a better roster potential than the whitecaps- 2 solid defenders in waston and garza, and 2 reasonable strikers in adi and mattocks

we are better in goal and the MFs are nearly a draw with the Caps having a slight edge because of reyna

i expect to see at least 2 significant DPs signed by FCC who are aiming to be the next Atlanta- hopefully their stadium will be built for a minimum 30 000

THE BROOM-- YUP- aside from the young academy players, it will leave only 5 players from the robo signings- henry, martins, levis, nerwinski, and reyna (possibly de jong)

SHAKE AND BAKE by MDS- signing and selling techera; buying out juarez; unloading/loaning out blondell; trading hurtado- with at least $7 mill in available MLS money and the davies transfer fee hopefully in the $4-5 mill range, MDS has money to use in upgrading the team

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^MDS has millions to play with now and a ton of international spots. To compare rosters now is silly.

This has been the house cleaning phase, not the building phase. Give him time.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

you need to take Reading 101- see the Shake and Bake comments above

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    after reading Victor Giro's bio, i dont see much to get excited about- he will be a depth player

19. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    reading your posts often leads me to skip over a few lines so I don't fall asleep :)

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    old age will make you do that- make sure you wear a drool towel

now do you have anything intelligent to say ??

21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Now now children, let's play nice. :)
    Or failing that I'll get the popcorn out. Intelligent stuff to say? On a soccer forum? By anyone? LMAO. Okay I guess it could happen but that's not the way to bet.

22. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^That is a lot or return for Eric, I am quite impressed with that trade. No, it does not give immediate effects but two more young players will be coming later so it is a nice move. I think Eric needs a fresh start as it is. He has not moved beyond his means for several seasons now.

If Marc is shipping out so many players, he must have a lot of plans! He is literally starting from scratch like an expansion team but without the expansion draft.

Just dispose the club of Juarez, Blondell, and Techera and the cleaning is about done in my opinion.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Eric had to know that his days of being a Whitecap were done when he became a half-time mascot running around the field with dozens of kids chasing the ball - gotta say, i felt sorry for him

he deserves a fresh chance and i think that SKC is a good result