Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i think $475 000 for felipe is WAY over-priced and i am not sure how the Caps mitigate all or some of that salary- perhaps a loan and the Caps pick up part of the cost; i dont see another MLS trading for him at that cost- he is a mediocre MF and NYRB were smart to get tim parker for him, plus the $500 000 which went to buy down juarez's salary ... RIDICULOUS, HUH!!!

its shocking that a player like felipe wasnt a regular impact player during the last 4-5 weeks of the season- he wasnt a happy camper and not sure if MDS would want to keep him-- an unhappy player is not a good team player

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    does anyone think the Caps should take a flyer on canadian Toisant ricketts whose option was not picked up by TFC? IMO, he is a better sub than hurtado

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    No.

I realize it's not an either or proposition, but since the Caps are clearly in a rebuilding mode with commensurate expectations, why not see what you have with a young guy like Bair coming off the bench? Ricketts may be able to help in certain situations now, but he's not the future.

tm13 repped this.
  4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Only half surprised by Marinovic being not picked up. Richey a bit more surprised given his perf in Cincinnati .

Mostly journeymen except Reyna & Henry but all teams need players like those.

After the numbers he put up? The mentoring of Davies? The scrambling hold up play? Damn you're cold man, real cold. I say he gets a well deserved raise!

Nobody is "GIVEN" time. They TAKE it by being the best option the coach has. They will be given an opportunity or two but they need to kill it when they get the chance and keep killing it every time they are on the field.

Dude he's gone. In fact he's been gone a while now. Take a deep breath and quit looking in the rear view mirror :)

5. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1505 tm13, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    On second thought. Maybe. At 200k he is not expensive and while at 31 not young not too old either. Would he accept a wing role. He is fast and could be a replacement for Davies. For forwards we should resign Kei and have Theo. Use Hurtado on the other wing in place of Techera.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    OUCH!!!! sometimes the truth hurts

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    gotta say, that 1 year ago, i was hoping that the Caps would give reyna the axe

but he showed enough in 2018 for me to want him back and now his option has been picked up

MY ERROR- i said that felipe's salary is $475 000-- its actually $425 000- not worth the money IMO, but 2019 is the final year of his contract- maybe MDS will get more out of him to validate his contract

8. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Hurtado's an Iain Hume type of player: an aggressive, physical, high energy sh*t disturber. I don't see him at all as a wing player.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, DC is not extending Darren Mattocks' contract so he is available. :D

As to Tosaint, he is versatile as a forward and wing so could fill in as a squad player although at $190k and 31 yrs old, I don't think it is worth it.

BearcatSA repped this.
  10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    He is also very fast. He has played there for us with mixed results so yea we need another true wing player.

11. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I agree that they need another flank player.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    bringing david ousted back to vancouver-- NADA

eric hurtado as a wide/winger player-- NADA!

bringing darren mattocks back to vancouver-- NADA !!

we need fresh blood in order to re-boot the Caps in this city

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Parker is out of contract at end of year. I guess he wants to try his luck overseas. I like Tim and he had a good year, but times I watched him with NYRB I would see mistakes that might get in the way of serious European interest. Will be interesting to see how it turns out for him. No player likes to be out of contract as you have to worry about injury. Wish him the best. Could turn out that the Whitecaps offer wasn’t that bad.

14. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Chris, please don't buy into the planted story. Tim did not leave due to rejecting some Caps contract offer. They traded him because they needed the TAM to buy down contracts so ownership's financial commitment over and above the MLS money was as close to zero as they could get. (their mandate for 2018). The contract rejection was a plant and was confirmed as such. Just like the Nosa "business class" story (he was moved to make room for Juarez as Carl/Baldwin really wanted him here), and the one with Adekube complaining for playing time.

Our defense went from solid to a shit show. I think it is reasonable to say that had a lot to do with Parker leaving so he was a good player for us and good partner for Kendall.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Old Fan has it nailed- he has a conspiracy fetish- but on this item, his fetish is 100% right-on

16. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well not roster but coaching staff are appearing:
    https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2018/12/06/first-team-coaching-staff

Some stuff I found interesting is the languages they are capable of.

Vanni Sartini (assistant): fluent in English, Italian, and Spanish, and can also read and understand German

Phillip Dos Santos (assistant): English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish (same as MDS).

Youssef Dahha (keeper coach): 13 years with Montreal & last year with Ottawa.

17. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Seems like a solid group of coaches. I do like all the languages available!

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

i like the experience and rapport that the coaches will bring to the Caps; i think we can assume that with the languages they bring corporately that there is a strong likelihood that there wont be any national asian- japan, south korea, for example- player coming to the Club- south and central america are going to be the prime areas and perhaps a trade within MLS

and its obvious- regardless of what i had hoped for- that kei kamara is NOT in MDS' plans for 2019- i do think we will see 3 significant players coming in, and hopefully 1 of them will be what- pointedly- Don Garber says, an EXCITING PLAYER - my guesses are- a dominant, solid passing CB, a proven striker capable of scoring in the + 14 range and an outside type of wing player with significant pace and crossing skill ( and i predict that anthony blondell will be loaned out and i hope that efrain juarez will not be anywhere near BC Place Stadium); i wonder how kendall waston's mandarin is going ?? i dont see anyway that he comes back for 2019 with what he said over the last 2 months of the season

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Pretty good bet that Crepeau is coming here in a trade with the Impact (plus, his keeper coach with the Fury is now on MDS's staff). He's still a young guy for a keeper (turns 25 at the start of next year), has had a strong year in USL and, unlike Marinovic, doesn't take up an international spot. I think it'll be a good acquisition. They probably will adhere to what MDS suggested in an earlier presser that the club will be going with domestics in that position. I wonder if they will grab another veteran American to be a mentor/back up.

Like hot potato says, I don't see Waston returning so, with that, the club needs to get a big time CB organizer in here during this postseason or it could get ugly back there, regardless of the high press and possession-oriented tactical approach. I don't want a repeat of Aron Winter's first year at TFC where the TSN apologists raved about how vastly improved the club's possession had become while downplaying how Stefan Frei was getting shelled by quality chances game in and game out.

Garber's passive/aggressive zingers directed towards the Caps' FO at yesterday's League Final, state-of-the-union presser might loosen the purse strings more in getting some game-changing acquisitions to replace Davies.

20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor is that NYRB has offered Tim a multi-year contract that would be above league max requiring TAM to buy it down. That would make it over $504k/yr. Good luck, Tim.

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GLASSCITY put out a few "rumors" today. One was Bobby being moved to another position in some sort of restructuring.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    as i said should happen months ago- his name has cachet in the market and with the media, plus a longgggg history with the Club- but moving him to a PR type of role is best for the Club and himself-

whether greg anderson should be the new President, as he was and is part of the problems we have had, only time can tell- i would have preferred a fresh face with MLS experience (and the head of recruitment should also be gone after the fiasco with terrible non- MLS player signings over the past 2-3 years, especially 2018)

23. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I think some of those player rumours may have legs. Rapids keeper MacMath and Atlanta LB Garza seem like logical moves.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MacMath was a decent keeper for the Union but is stuck behind Howard at Colorado. He could do a job and wouldn't cost much. Sounds like it might involve a trade with Mezquida? Garza would be a strong starter at LB if it occurs. Supposedly Caps had a meeting with Juninho, former LAG midfielder but he has been without a club since January 2018. (All Glasscity rumors).

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States