Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    on another player note, under MLS rules, a team can buy out 1 player/year

if it is any player on the Cap roster, it has to be efrain juarez-- but it will cost the Caps $$$$$$$$$ - 2018 salary = Efrain Juarez $525,000 (salary cap hit bought down with TAM)

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT:

A club may buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract (including a DP) during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club’s expense.

A club may not free up room in the salary budget with a buyout of a player’s contract during the season. In the case a team buys out a player’s contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club’s salary budget.

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the kind of signing where if it doesn't work, he is gone at end of year. If he looks good, they can pick up 2 option years. The only kind of players you are going to get now are pretty much those who are out of contract. He had enough quality at one time to make appearances in Premier League (promoted club) but is now 30. We'll see if he has the physical ability and desire to make an impact. ​

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    To quote Bob McCown, he's just another guy. Might fit the underpromise, overdeliver mantra.

5. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Please please pretty please with sugar and maple syrup on top :)

I thought LAFC would keep him but if he is ambitious and wants a head coaching job GET HIM!!!!! Look at his results in Brazil with U17 & U15 teams, in D2 and now with LAFC. I didn't think he'd be available but to be honest I rate him ahead of Zambrano and Kries.

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Don't worry. He is about to get "Bair-ied" :)

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/players/theo-bair

I'm thinking now that Davies will have moved on that Theo will become Kamara's new understudy. Hey it worked once.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Robo's decision to acquire kamara stands out as one of his few best decisions, and again its a MLS player- as we all agree, its the signing of non-MLS players that has haunted carl and it very well could lead to his downfall as head coach for 2019- millions of MLS money with little return has been the recipe for mediocrity and supporter frustration

anyone thinking of releasing/selling kamara and replacing him with blondell is not very acute at discerning soccer talent- kei should be resigned- his mentoring of younger players and his ability to score +12 goals can not be denied (a 1 year with an option for another year should be on the table come post-season)

what the club does with a slow- in every regard- blondell is unknown except to say his contract goes until December 31, 2020- he is glued to the bench and perhaps a loan for 2019 would be in everyone's best interest

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    He actually hasn't played since December. Even more time off ! Might be injured too!

The funny thing is now some supporters get dreamy about his nationality( TOTAL FOOTBALL!) or that he played EPL(MUST BE BETTER THAN OUR MLS STRIKER). From what I can figure out with quick review is he made less than 30 appearances in the Premier League. He also only had one year where he scored a significant amount of goals and that was nearly a decade ago.

If he were to be here for a full season, he would bag us 1 - 3 goals while occupying a warm spot on the bench much of the year. Why waste our time with players like this when we can make a "what the hell, it's cheap" flyer on an academy player or GASP give Eric Hurtado more playing time.

This is where it is unhealthy. Carl brings this guy in when there are players here, that are equal or better, or young players that "need a look", who won't get played because Carl keeps taking these international signings.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    how about putting your dog nose to the ground and sniff out any connection Emnes' agent company has with david baldwin- this smells like a robo-baldwin special

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt says agent/agency is PW Soccer Consultancy. No Whitecaps or familiar names on their list of players.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Emnes agency (PW Soccer) was incorporated the same week as Avid by a former employee of Base. So, we can plausibly say that Baldwin is involved in this somehow (both agencies came from Base employees and started the same week), even as a recommendation.

All roads lead through this man for Carl getting players outside of MLS

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1388 OldFan2015, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    I did and have posted the results. Baldwin used to work with Emnes agent, they both quit Base and opened their own agencies and incorporated in the same week in 2018 (PW Soccer and Avid) . SO yeah, they know each other and i would be pretty confident in saying Baldwin gave this connection to Carl (or found a guy a job as a favor). NRC should have been a good one but his personal life issues messed that up, I don't blame Rennie for that.

Whether this Carl/Baldwin relationship is good or bad for the club is open for interpretation. My feelings have been made clear already. The house needs to be cleaned.

14. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Kenny Miller was a great DP signing for this club. His salary was reasonable, he produced when he was healthy, and was a good leader. It was disappointing to see things flame out the way they did and get gets on a plane right after a game in the middle of the season. It was great to see him have a nice finish to his career over at Rangers.

Martin Rennie was not the greatest, but he did make some really good signings in relation to the league quality and club budget at that time. Miller, Ousted, YP Lee, O Brien; his Railhawk alumni squad were not MLS quality but they all worked their asses off and were honest players.

15. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^I added my NRC/ Rennie comment to the wrong post :)

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    after the latest debacle of signing marvin emnes, i have concluded the Club- my Club of over 40 years- has no integrity and honor

this is not meant as a personal swipe at emnes as he needs a paycheque and has found one in Vancouver, at least for 4 months- but he is a player who has done very little for the past 4.5 years and really is not MLS calibre- at the age of 31, his best days are long gone- with 5 games to go in the season, how is this signing really going to help?? how the hell did this happen?

BUT its about a club that continues to give us supporters the middle finger when it comes to building a winner- this is not the way to build towards success and belief

unfortunately we have owners that dont give a shite, a FO that doesnt hold itself or its coaching staff accountable for the wise use of MLS player money, and a coaching staff that continuously lacks discernment in the signing of non-MLS players and has wasted millions of MLS money- as i have reserached and said before, its 59 players that have come and gone since 2014

are we to be named the reclamation team- juarez, mutch, felipe, reyna, franklin and henry all fit into that category- reyna seems like he is getting the full picture back and henry somewhat

and anyone that thinks this signing is a positive move lacks any degree of soccer intelligence

it doesnt make sense unless there are hidden reasons as to why it happened

17. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Phone Rings at the CR household

CR - hello

DB - hey Carl, how are things mate

CR - great, but its hard. The boys work so hard, but those MLS refs have it out for us. We would be in 2nd place were it not for all the blown calls. The boys worked hard. We have had a phenomenal 5 years here.

DB - awesome to hear. Look, I have an opportunity for you

CR - I am listening

DB - well, a former associate of mine also left the company and formed his own agency like I did. They are still getting their feet wet and have this player who has been out of contract since April. It's really beneficial for a new agency to be able to get it's players work so they can build their reputation.

CR - Ah, I don't know , we only have a few games left and not much cap room

DB - Hey, I got Ibini off your books with a deal in the middle east, I know exactly how much room you have left

CR - Ah yes, but you sent us this youngster from El Salvador

DB - you still have enough room to get this player ,and you have an international slot

CR- not many games left though , i can't commit to him for next year

DB - this guy will come for a hand ful of games, at a price you can make, and you only have to option him for next year. Think of it is a training camp trial but during the stretch for the playoffs

CR - well, tell me about him

DB - He is Dutch, played for their youth national team

CR - Dutch! Total Football! He must have had a good career

DB - He scored 18 goals for Boro once! Played a couple dozen games in the EPL for Swansea

CR - cool, striker then?

DB - yes

CR - whats his nam

DB - ah you might not have heard of him, let me text you a youtube link of a goal he scored

{2 minute pause}

CR - wow that was some goal, did he get that this season?

DB - well, not exactly, but he is ready go to.

CR - who did he last play for

DB - he wanted a super adventure so he went to play in Turkey! Last played in December

CR - are you sure this is a good move?

DB - you can bank on it. The fans will see Dutch, that goal, and that he is cheap, and won't care about him taking up anyone else's playing time. Try to get him at least 30 minutes the rest of the season and you are golden

CR - ok, send me the paperwork

DB - it's not me, I am just a facilitator! I will have PW Sports send you a call

CR - Thanks mate! Talk to you soon!

DB - we have a great off season for you! Remember that Sri Lankan we sent for trail when you did a camp in Wales a few years back ? Well, he is tearing up their first division, he is mLS ready and will play for a salary similar to Ibini

CR - great mate! I may have to get new assistant coaches, but as long as we make the Conference Semi Finals I will be back! Good night!

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    :whistling: you outdid all your other postings, Old Fan!!! hilarious, but sadly to say, it has a ring of authenticity

19. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A pleasure that one person in this world understands and enjoys my humor :)

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, we have butted heads a few times, but i always find your writings entertaining and, more often than not, very insightful and straight to the point

you should be a writer for some newspaper that actually encourages positive AND negative critiques of a sports team, much like we have with the Canucks- instead, we are usually given pablum that a 13 year old could write as its usually almost a straight copy from a Whitecaps FO blurb, such as what we got from the emnes' signing (nothing to do with him personally)

if the Canucks had have signed a player the quality and recent background of emnes, there would have been a howl, ranging from - this is ridiculous, to what the hell are they thinking!! instead, we get nothing from the newspaper writings- afraid to be critical in fear of loosing their special privileges at the BC Stadium games ??

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1396 OldFan2015, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    ^I think a lot of the lack of deep research by our media is just that their bosses don't allocate the time or money to it. They have not gone out and found someone with 20 years covering the sport and hiring them full time, having them travel with the team, giving them resources to research stories (like say go to Peru for the Reyna issue), etc. The Province took a guy with no history in the game (Weber) and put him as their full time guy. Now they have employees of the papers write, but that is not their full time job , its a side gig. So they read the news and write articles about it.

In the NASL days we had guys like James Lawton , Jeff Cross, Jim Taylor with his commentaries and columns, etc. That is a hall of fame lineup. Great media build knowledgeable fans. We don't have that kind of media here to educate and deeply invest newer fans into the Whitecaps.

The vast majority of those in the stadium are there for a good experience and are not rolling around salary caps, trades, drafts, tactics, in their heads 7 days a week like a core supporter is. Very different from what the Canucks face when people go bananas because they signed a fringe veteran to a 4 year deal instead of 3 and the fans are looking at the term, dollars, cap, and thinking it all through. The raw numbers of people in our market who have those talks about the Canucks during their social time is huge, whereas you will not hear people talk too much about that with the Caps unless you are with a group of hardcore supporters or long time fans.

Aquilini, for all his faults, is a far superior owner to Kerfoot. Yet he gets ripped regularly by fans and media, and nothing more than a mouse fart is said about Kerfoot in the media.

The media coverage is reflective of what the market wants and accepts. A fun place to go watch games, secondary interest in the results, and so forth.

An Emnes style signing on the Canucks would lead with fans and media going nuts about how any minutes he plays takes away from a young player developing or one of their capable bottom 9 getting icetime. That kind of thinking is not applied to the Caps by most people.

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newspapers have little money for any kind of original journalism entailing research, rspecially sports. Not like the old days.

BearcatSA repped this.
  23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Oh he had some great ones on the Southsiders' board including some that got him punted :)

24. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    That was a great write up, OldFan2015!

Emmes is another spaghetti chuck in that if he pans out in some shape or form it will be viewed as an astute signing as opposed to being a BC Lotteries Keno ticket with which they got lucky.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    they wont get lucky