Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Quote- Roberto Dominguez will play the remainder of the season in Vancouver after his current team, Salvadorian side Santa Tecla, agreed to let him go as a free player and will not ask for any compensation in return.

its the usual pattern of trying to acquire quality players with little to no investment made beyond the MLS salary pots

any supporter expecting the Whitecaps to invest the +$13 million davis transfer money in acquiring high quality players for 2019 is living in la la land- the club will continue their pattern of living within the MLS structure, so expect to see more of the mutch-juarez-blondell-ibini-ghazal mold- if 1 or more of these players are gone, then their salary will be used to get the same quality

NOTHING CHANGES- the transfer money will be filtered around to a host of programs and/or repayment of past expenses such as the failed USL team- accounting 101 measures-- now you see it, now you dont

PS apparently, the Caps are designating some of the transfer money back to the Edmonton clubs that helped develop alphonso... and that is an honorable thing to do if it has significant dollars behind it in the 6 figure range

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    anyone know what transpired at the SouthSiders meeting re: the kendall waston fiasco ?

talk about the kettle calling the pot black- the board are saying that kendall is intolerant towards same-sex marriages, and so they discredit him for having non-harmful personal views- and then begin to write intolerant biased/slanted writing against kendall ........ WHO REALLY IS BEING INTOLERANT

tm13 repped this.
  3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    why should you care????? its a free transfer/loan... and thats in the Caps price range

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Those are the rules nowadays as I understand them, and that's definitely a good thing.

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    That brings up up 2 5 CBs .... Waston, Henry, Aja, Maud & New Guy (I don't include Aly as a CB).

Now if one of them could play like Laba I'm willing to bet we'd stop leaking so many goals. Call me crazy but if we are to pick players up maybe we should focus where we need them? Crazy talk, I know, just plain nuts. It's best to let Carl make the player recruitment decisions even though I'd prefer you to be doing it.

7. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1358 OldFan2015, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    They had a meeting last night and I can assume are planning a measured response in a few days. They either will be retracting it , or coming out with further evidence in support of their condemnation. I hope it's the former so we can just put it behind us. My views on conservative Christians opposing equal marriage rights are well known and I will rip Kendall or anyone else for it, but I see no need for an organized group to run a player out of town based on these views. Any player of faith could potentially be in the "no gay marriage" camp (mostly through dogma and a lifetime of ingrained teachings, not due to malice), so we have to be careful about these types of group attacks. And, make no mistake, that statement could have run him out of town if the media decided to run with it.

And supporting equality movements should never be "you must support us OUR way or else". People still have to be true to themselves even if they believe in denying equal rights. As long as they are not actively denying those rights, it's only an opinion which they are welcome to have. "I oppose gay marriage" or "i don't want to fly LGBT banners " is not hate speech.

Based on the responses already, I would think they will stand by their statement. Look, the statement was ignored by the media, so most of Vancouver is not aware of it. So, at most they have pissed off members, and some may cancel memberships. But like anything political, memories are often short and come January, most of the angry ones will likely renew. But hey, if the retract it, or wiggle out of it some how, that is possible. I think at the end of the day,while they are 5 elected volunteers, they still want to keep their positions. People get territorial about power roles and don't like to have them end in disgrace.

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A fine pickup for their model. A young player worth a shot. Not sure what level he will be. The league in El Salvador is not that great and most good players would have been recruited out of there before 21. He may be another Blondell type of impact. But, he could be a good depth player if he is able to make it in MLS.

yes, free transfer. Let's make no mistake, not much of the davies fee is going to go into first team player transfers or DP salaries above what the Caps can write down with their various league monies.

They were able to book the training center costs on their expenses over many years (accounting work to spread it out). That will eat up half of the Davies fee already. (so technically it will be on the books as "new spending" but it is to recoup money from a past project in reality). They will use as much of it as they can to offset past things ( with creative accounting so MLS can approve it as new investment), and things that were already planned. Don't expect some big time announcement of a completely new project due to this money. The biggest "new project" they may do is invest a share in a USL club or something. Which actually would be something they should do. They still have a terrible cliff after their young players hit 18 and 19. The FC2s were a failure due to location and were a money loser due to horrible attendance. But, they should get a USL club they have some influence over as a minority shareholder. The Fresno deal seems to be useless for the most part. CPL investment is a No GO, CSA won't accept being a "farm team" for MLS (although if they want to survive long term, they will need affiliations with the big 3 ).

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    EXACTLY. A simple "no thank you" to here's a scarf and you get lambasted for it? WTF type of world is that? I'm not at all intolerant but that makes me want to burn a rainbow scarf in protest.

Think about the precedent that this would set. You have to do everything the way the EVERY group (not just gays) with a chip on their shoulder say or you are out? That's no way to run a civilization much less a mere soccer club.

Skin so thin that they can't tolerate an opinion if it differs from theirs. Making a mountain out of this molehill distracts from the real problems faced by gays.

What about all the Catholic, Muslim & other religious players? Is it a uniform? If yes then you have to wear it or sit the game out. If no then they have a choice.

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    100% spot-on

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Great news for Marcos. I hope he gets a lot of playing time there and can recover his lost career. Getting any young Canadian away from Carl is a benefit; sad but true.

14. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    You can't blame Carl for Bustos' lack of running ability. Come on man. Bustos and all the other former Canadian Caps had plenty of chances to show what they could do in USL, V's Cup and MLS (mostly as subs) and they just didn't cut it. I'll give Robo grief where he deserves it but to lay this at his feet is just plain wrong.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you are right- you cant teach speed- but you can give opportunities for young players to show their stuff- a few minutes on the field every 10 games just doesnt cut it- bustos should have left 3 years ago- it was obvious that robo had no confidence in his ability to play at the MLS level, and yet he had confidence in the likes of debyi flores which was bewildering, to say the least.. now he is gone also, and rightfully so

carl's stubbornness to face the fact that his player signings have been quite poor will be his undoing as a head coach- a yearly turnover of 12-13 players builds inconsistency and supporter frustration at the lost money

16. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    #1367 BearcatSA, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    You know that; I know that; other regular contributors here know that. The upper management and ownership don't seem to know that. They are as addicted to the magic bullet quick fix just like Robbo
    It's like roulette with them. I'm surprised they haven't forged a shirt sponsorship with BC Lotteries. It would be fitting.

tm13 repped this.
  17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

thats funny!! the Caps are run by a bunch of ostriches

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    no disrespect to ostriches

tm13 repped this.
  19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GAME VS SAN JOSE

over $2 mill USD glued to the sidelines- juarez, blondell, shea, felipe, mutch- all additions under robo's tenure- its 25% of the salary allotment

20. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1371 OldFan2015, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Win a couple of games and most people stop criticizing Carl and go back to singing his praises. The Baldwin stuff is already forgotten.

Its a very different knowledge base and emotional investment versus the Canucks. They can trade for a player on draft day and get torched for days for not getting some marginal at best 3rd round draft pick. 95+% of people who attend Whitecaps games are there for a good time to watch a sport; they don't analyze, talk, dig, etc like people would do with hockey. They have never heard of Baldwin, don't have any knowledge that the SS condemned Kendall Waston, don't think about the salaries and the cap spending by Carl. They also have no idea that the club has been caught red handed two times planting false information about a player they shipped out to bring in a Baldwin contact. And a third time on a young Canadian player who was loaned and wouldn't come back. Most will think "oh the owners don't spend much" but that is about it. So, the smelly side of this club gets it relatively easy outside of a small group of hardcores on forums. And even the hardcores phase in and out of being critical based on whether there was a win that week or not. Right now, Carl is getting a pass as they just won a game. If we lose to Seattle ,he will get torched again and having his head called for. Back and forth.

If they make the playoffs, that will ensure they should get their 19000+ average next season and minimal media scrutiny.

The ownership goal is to hit that attendance number and to host a playoff game once a year. Carl is delivering that in a market that is not demanding more (only a small hardcore fan base are really putting him under scrutiny). Ownership is delighted they can sell "Hey, we made the semi finals in our small market!" (not noting that the conference semi finals are essentially the first round of the playoffs). It works here in Vancouver. They kept those tarps down until the demand lowered back down, which is what they want to do; keep it in that range.

He gives them a level they can accept, so unless something ugly comes out with proof, emails, etc.. he has a chance of coming back.

I hope I am wrong, he really does need to go. There are rumors they already have MDS ready to go and Carl is working on a move elsewhere so he can save face and not be fired. (and no, that is not because our dear Marc Weber tweeted it pretending to have sources beyond The Handbags, its been out there already).

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    wager you a beer that robo wont be back

and if no more info is coming from the people who hinted at carl's interactions, conflict-of-interest with the player agent company under david baldwin, then i think they are a disgrace for smudgng him with inuendo

either put out the incriminating evidence or issue an apology to robo- no person's reputation or job should be tarnished by unsubstantiated inuendo or puffs of smoke that- at the most- point to player-signing incompetence- we all can agree that carl's non-MLS signings have usually been poor

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caps sign Dutch striker Marvin Ennes. Last played in Turkish super Liga.

23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1374 OldFan2015, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Replacement for the Ibini spot. No idea what we will get. Free transfer, didn't get much playing time last season in Turkey. Looks like he has less than 10 goals in the last 6 years; so well past his goal scoring prime. He had one career year with 18 goals way back in 2011-2012 and has had minimal goals before and after. This man will not be a goal scorer for the team at this point other than one here and there at most.

For a striker, his goal scoring outside of that one season, is abysmal.

A depth player; however, highly likely he is an upgrade on Ibini so that is a small win :)

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GOOD GRIEF!! how can the Caps make this kind of signing and think the supporters will be impressed ???

i wonder what blondell and hurtado think of this news!! i dont even see Emnes as an upgrade from the departed bernie ibini

ITS EMBARRASSING!