Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Sad to say, but there are still enough problems to call MLS bush.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    read and shake your head at the salaries that the Caps (TAM, GAM and MLS) are paying for our plumbers:

mlsplayers.org

can u imagine that ghazal and juarez are making MORE than waston??

Aly Ghazal Vancouver Whitecaps M $575,000.04 $700,566.71

Efrain Juarez Vancouver Whitecaps D-M $525,000.00 $619,833.33

Kendall Waston Vancouver Whitecaps D $574,999.92 $604,166.52

others:

Bernie Ibini Vancouver Whitecaps F $265,008.00 $304,008.00

Cristian Techera Vancouver Whitecaps M $387,000.00 $412,000.00

Felipe Martins Vancouver Whitecaps M $425,000.04 $425,000.04

Jordon Mutch Vancouver Whitecaps M $156,000.00 $284,166.67

the owners probably only have 1 player that they actually have to pay for out of their own pockets- Kei Kamara- about $500 000 out of a $1 mill salary, unless he has been bought down also which wouldnt surprise me

3. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Ghazal - 700 K
    Juarez - 620 K

Dp level salaries bought down with MLS funny money.

So yeah, even though Kerfoot wont spend on DPs the problem is more than that... they are pissing away a lot of cap room with salaries like this.

If you look at everyone who has total compensation over 250k.... I would argue the only two that are performing to the level of their salary are Waston and Kamara (and he won't be able to give us a full season so that is even debatable). They are fortunate a lot of Mutch's salary is paid by CP so they are on the hook for a more manageable amount for a player who is a complete bust.

Horrible salary cap management Carl. Five years at the helm and this is the best you have done?

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Kendall Waston $574k - Good value for a quality player
    Felipe Martins $425k - Good value for a quality player
    Jordon Mutch $284k - Great value if he can stay healthy. Quality seems to be there but fragility is bad.

All the others are over paid IMHO.

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Mutch has a history of these mysterious leg injuries and is also not in the best of shape. He was damaged goods that shouldn't be with a turf based team, Carl did not do his research (even reading their supporters forum would have given a reason to stay away). I consider him a bust. Quality doesn't mean a lot of the guy can't play.

Before we run Kerfoot out of town for an owner who will buy DP's we sure as heck need a guy who can recruit and manage his salary cap values first. Christ, look at Carl's history of under performing international signings; it is abysmal.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, the Caps have gone from being in the top 10 spending teams to being in the bottom half- so thats 1 problem- we are not keeping up with the better MLS teams

of course the other BIG problem is that the head coach is going after weak players who dont perform according to their salary and then are lopped off in a year or 2- robo is changing 13-14 players every season which speaks to a head coach- and FO that doesnt hold him accountable- who isnt using the financial resources wisely

giving carl more money doesnt guarantee better players will be coming- in fact, i am coming to the conclusion that carl is a poor discerner of talent, pace, creativity and skill- he only has 1 player- kendall waston- in 4 years that is a starter that he signed

his teams every year are like a house of cards

but the disengaged owners dont give a crap about that stunning record of ineptitude

i dont expect this team to be anymore than what it is- a mediocre team- at best- with a lot of plumbers in MF who dont have the soccer intelligence, pace, skill and creativity at a quickly improving MLS

7. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    as long as 20 thousand tickets are sold on average per game, I dont see change in how they run the club.. .they may sack carl, but would bring in another over his head guy and rinse and repeat

the fans need to stop showing up in large enough numbers (say paid attendance drops to 14k) before Kerfoot would hit the red alert.... supporters groups putting F words in their song sheets is not going to be what sparks change

8. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Shall we start the OZ for Caps Coach campaign? OZ = Octavio Zambrano :)
    His sev pak from the CSA should be done by the fall. I loved the way he had the CMNT playing.

Just saying.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MLS has a team salary cap of $4.035 million but teams are allowed three designated-players exemptions. In addition, each team can use up to $4 million in allocation money provided by the league to pay down the salaries of other players, effectively doubling the cap.

we shouldnt be surprised that the Caps salary total equals what MLS pays- $8.2 mill- the owners are committed to living within that budget and we shouldnt expect any DP/upgrades signing that will cost them money out of their own pockets

and of course, robo would be selecting the players- out of his signings over 4 years, only 1 is a starter and is an impact player- waston; lots of reasons why more money would be pissed in the wind

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The team is good enough defensively, in this particular league, to maintain enough "up" performances to offset the "down" stretches and get into the playoffs. Maybe they win the Multi-level Marketing Cup this year or surprise and get to the final four of the playoffs. The only way a major coaching and front office shake up occurs is if the team takes a big nose dive in the standings. I just can't see that happening, even if Waston is gone for a month. The club does just enough to keep the fans coming out.

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well, it's sad that our proud history is being turned into this. Like we should be happy for the table scraps we get and stop asking for a proper meal.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ITS CALLED LIVING ON GRUEL

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yordy reyna is playing significantly better over the past 3 games, almost at the level he was in the summer, 2017- he is making an impact

its critical for the Caps success for him to play at a high level- keeping him motivated and healthy is a trick that every coach he has had has tried and none have succeeded- and there have been lots of them- it will be no easy task for the coaching staff with vancouver

1 thing we know of reyna-- he is a not a long-term effective player and that worries me- his huge, narcisstic ego is his problem

14. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    The academy season has wrapped up. Both the U16/17 & U18/19 teams got second place in their divisions and are in the playoffs. The U15 team took first in their division but I guess the U15s don't have playoffs.

Montreal took first in their division for U15, U16/17 & U18/19.

No TFC teams I can see playing in USSF Development Academy league.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the last 2 home games have been highly entertaining with lots of goals- 13 in total and the caps have 8 of them- simply an amazing turn-around from a month ago when we could snore through the games outside of some dash and swivel from the Phonse

so whats been the ticket ?? IMO, it all has to do with yordy reyna playing like he did last summer- when he is focused and inspired, he makes the Caps a much more versatile and creative team

how long he maintains his recent style of play remains to be seen, but i am always one to be a doubter- his pattern over the past 4-5 years has been erratic

when he's hot, he's HOT; when he's COLD, he's cold

can he remain HOT ?? lets hope so- coupled with davies and techera, its fun to go to the games

PS we still need to find a CB partner for waston- loosing parker has been a huge loss and none of the Cap CBs are up to that level, but i do hope for doneil henry since he is a canadian and has always shown terrific athleticism and potential, but mistake-prone at crucial moments

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Carl finally doing a two striker system and keeping it around for a few games in a row should not be over looked. his one striker system has always been a choking mechanism for the players on this club.

17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pluses and minuses to two forwards. Much depends on opponent and own personnel. Unless you have enough talent to dictate the game no matter what.

18. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    While we are giving up some serious lack of focus and concentration very bad judgement goals we are firing on the offence. I like the 4-4-2 because it transitions to the 3-4-3 so quickly with just one wingback jumping up and a full on 3-4-4 assault when we push both up. This is exciting football. The wings have been very good in getting back to prevent counters.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i wonder why robo took sooooooooo long to come to his senses about the 1 striker formation- it killed rivero (the pain and frustration in his eyes said it all) and now he has been sold to a mexican club for more than the whitecaps had to pay- i hope octavio gets his love of the game back and does well

as for me, i hope we never see a 1 striker formation again

20. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    we likely will see it the moment Carl takes a loss. He seems to revert to his old self out of fear of failure.

But for now, it is a fun ride. Happy to see the change. He consistently has had players that suit this a lot better than his old 4-2-3-1 (4-5-1 if you see it that way). Rivero would have done a lot better with a 2 striker deal than the shit show he was put through.

21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I just realised I had the goalie pulled in my earlier formation "and a full on 3-4-4 assault when we push both up." it should read "2-4-4". I'll take an extra player if the other team doesn't notice.

1) You are probably correct but god I hope not.
    2) Yep
    3) True and when you are out possessed 60-40 or worse the 4-2-3-1 is 4-5-1 as that is what it collapses back to when the other team has possession. So we were spending two thirds of our time in it.

22. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
  23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^Yes, good article. We also can't underestimate the loss of Parker. It took a year to recover from the loss of Beita, this seems to be similar.

If there is anything significant in the transfer window, I would prefer a legit CB.

Also saddened to see Hurtado not even making the bench these days. They should probably trade him out if he is not in their plans

24. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    "There’s a number of factors, internally more important than externally,” he said. “As it stands at the moment, we’ve got our roster, we’ll probably need to move someone out to bring someone in. But it also depends on if we’re moving someone out to bring the same type of player, a different type of player or a more high-profile player. As it probably stands at the moment, we’re probably looking at a one in, one out scenario, probably with the same resources that we have now. So, for example, if we moved a $100,000 player, we’re replacing him with a $100,000 player.”

He says so much, and yet so little, at the same.

The Union are really a weak team. Even on the road I expect the Caps to win this by two goals.

25. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Yep. So we move a non-performing player or player with several people ahead of him to bring in another "roll of the dice" player to see if they can contribute. Sigh. I'll say it now. Hurtado is gone.