Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    If Marinovic proves to the real deal as Ousted's replacement, then they will be in the playoff hunt. If he isn't or gets injured long term then this team will be taking a big deuce (and I don't mean Clint Dempsey). Kamara is the best available known commodity fit for this team up top but if he's not getting service and then not scoring, you have to wonder how long his shiny, happy people attitude will continue. As you have said, depth is an issue in some positions.

Besides Mollo, does anyone know if any other trialists got cut?

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    davide chuimiento was training with the Caps- i havent heard of any others- dont know what ever happened to the player that came in from england- he's never been in a pregame

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Waston resigned for 2019-20 so we are good at the back. He was on $370k so probably a raise but enough to keep him under DP status.

It will be interesting to see if/how Edgar & Henry fit in.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i would be wary of putting henry in th CB spot- so prone to BIG mistakes and rash challenges-- edgar is a smart player, not quick, but reads the game well and isnt prone to big mistakes... but i am not sure the Caps will offer him a contract, but maybe he can be help to young players with the fresno USL affiliate as he has expressed an interest in coaching

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Besides Mollo, I see that Bloom is now gone.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i said that this was a flawed player coming in to preseason training- whatever happened to the Caps big finding
    Crystal Palace midfielder Jordon Mutch ?

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Not mutch, I guess.

I watched the Vegas game tonight and had a good laugh listening to their announcing crew big up the Whitecaps as if they were the Barcelona of MLS.

Watching the ejected LV coach sitting in the stands and casually having a smoke made me expect to see the ghosts of Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr joining him there.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    squeezing out a win vs a new USL team is not very convincing- even the rat pack would agree

seeing davis run at defenders is worth the price of admission, but if any coach can stifle his energy and attack it will be robo- LET THE HOUND LOOSE

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    4-4 vs LAFC and Reyna played the full 90, scored 2 and assisted on 1 more.

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Nice to see Kamara getting in the face of the Vegas player who elbowed Davies in the face. He made a straight line for him after the elbow.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    he was scintillating for 2 months in 2017- if he can perform at or near that level over the 2018 season, then he is our #10 that we have longed for

hope he stays

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a shame to give up Parker but it isn't easy to get the players you need in MLS. Parker deserves to make more money and maybe he would get to play RCB which is more natural for him than LCB.. His family would be thrilled as RBNY would be close to his hometown.
    I saw the Caps as rock solid as far as starting back four and goalie. If this move goes through, would add the CM the Caps need. Will have to see if is is without losing a beat defensively.
    http://theprovince.com/sports/socce...s-whitecaps-in-trade-talks-with-red-bulls/amp

13. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Let's see, the guys behind Parker are an American journeyman, two Canadians coming off of serious knee injury issues (one of whom tweaked a hamstring in the first quarter of the last exhibition match), and then perhaps another American journeyman utility defender (Franklin). Taking Parker away turns this from a position of strength to a big question mark.

What would be really funny is the Caps trading Parker and then spending big money on an international CB as a replacement.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you do realize that if tim parker is gone, waston on WC play, the Caps must play edgar, maund and/or henry in the CB role- kendall will be dreading the loss of tim as the other 3 are slow-footed, prone to injury and/or BIG mistakes

unless the Caps are making a DP signing of a MF general, they will loose more than they gain- felipe is a decent MF, but does he really have an upside like parker has? i think not

and felipe- a goal every 10 games- earned $305 000- is the reason?? i think not- it must be about money, as it always is with the whitecap owners

shit- even the USL-quality player, ibini, is making $175 000 USD and tim is under $100 000- no wonder he is pissed!!

thinking it will be a significant MF DP general in the $1-2 mill USD range is like thinking ibini will score 10 goals this year- DREAMLAND

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    that wont happen- its going to be a nightmare when waston goes on WC play or gets injured- YIKES!!!

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I meant to say that I saw Whitecaps as rock solid defensively with Parker back there. I definitely don't feel the same if he leaves and would hate to see him go. Agree on CB depth concerns.

Felipe is a guy who links defense and attack for RBNY. He played just about every minute of every game for them so is a durable player.Kljestan was the 10 for RBNY. I guess you could play a central midfield of Felipe, Tchani and Ghazal, but I wouldn't be crazy about it. A central midfield of Ghazal, Reyna, Felipe would be more exciting but probably a little lightweight.

MLS salaries are tough on young domestic players. They sign when unproven to a low salary and the club usually has two option years to extend. That is how Parker winds up at a measly $100k for a number of years. I hope for him he is able to get a decent payday soon.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    RE: tim parker

it could be that parker has asked to be traded and NY is close to his roots; and of course, the bigger salary at least 2x what he earned in 2017 (+$200 000 range for 2018)- if he stays with the Caps in 2018, he will be a free agent when the season ends- he must be pissed when he sees fringe players like ibini making almost double, brek shea at almost $700 000 and aaron maund at $175 000

trading for felipe at $305 000 just doesnt make sense

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't doubt that Whitecaps have tried to get Parker to sign a new contract but they probably aren't offering enough to make it worth his while. For what it costs to live in Vancouver, he could live in NYC area (cheaper in NJ) and be close to home. Caps probably see writing on the wall and are trying to get value while they can.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    so its all about money as i said before- IT ALWAYS WILL BE WITH THIS OWNERSHIP GROUP- if they dont want to pay parker more, say in the $200 000 range, why would they trade for felipe whose salary is $305 000 which adds another $100 000 to their salary budget ? i think it has to with money accumulation TAM, GAM, Allocation- who the hell knows which pot??

very strange behavior from the Caps IMO

20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Below is a few days old but from Steven Goff, a guy who usually gets pretty good information. He thinks aa Parke deal would mostly be for allocation $.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GOOD DISCUSSION ON ALLOCATION MONEY- There are two types of allocation money, General Allocation Money (GAM) and Targeted Allocation Money (TAM)- this is always about MLS' drive to be smoke and mirrors and is very confusing to most of us

What is Targeted and General Allocation Money?

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2016/12/8/13882570/mls-101-allocation-money

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/7/3/5868997/mls-allocation-order-usmnt-players

if the Caps picked up MF felipe and allocation money which seems to start at
    $75 000, they can buy down his contract; or they can use the allocation money to buy down a player's contract (such as the ridiculous DP contract of brek shea)

the only thing i do know is that it is all about saving the Caps money and they have done lots of this in the off-season in the neighbrhood of millions- montero, laba, harvey, ousted, williams, jacobson (retirement), nosa, seiler, adekugbe, bolanos, bustos, rosales, richy, froese

and picked up cheaper players- kamara, blondell, juarez, henry, bevan, norman jr, rowe, possibly resigning edgar

anyone hoping for a significant DP signing just isnt reading the tea leaves

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    a steady professional that comes as a free agent, so only costs his salary- 2017= $283,756- no way they are paying anywhere that!! and yet they wont pay tim parker + $200 000 - go figure!!

24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Parker may have turned down offers from the Caps. His agent might tell him that he's worth Waston type money (400k) so don't settle for 200k. He might want to move back east or try Europe. His is big, good in the box and very fast for any position much less CB. He knows he only has a year left on his contract and then he can cash in so he might be waiting it out knowing he will get lots of playing time.

There are always 2 sides and while the Caps are notoriously frugal it is probably a bit of both in this case.

ChrisSSBB repped this.