Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its interesting that yordy reyna has not played in either in the 2 preseason games in hawaii- he's either not in good shape or ???

2. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I find that very interesting, as well. Short of an injury, he should be seeing the field. I also see that Levis has yet to play a minute so far.

3. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    If he came in out of shape, in addition to his off field issues, this is a major problem.

4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    It is rumored that he has suffered a knock. Don't know for sure because only the club is providing info about the camp. I don't think there are any Vancouver media outlets represented there, not even supposedly well connected insiders Peter Schaad or Marc Weber

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^Hate to break it to you, but Mr Weber is not an insider. He left the business when the Province sacked him, and even when he was on the beat he didn't cultivate deep inside relationships within the league, the game, the club, etc. As for Schaad, I have had a lot of mixed feelings on him over the years. He has some positives and I know he loves the club deeply, but he shills sometimes that is extremely biased and his gossip column style smear of OZ really ended my interest in him. I also was uncomfortable with him using his podcast to compare football players going to Europe with Canadian soldiers putting their lives on the line in WW1 and 2.

And yeah, our local media are just surface now. They won't be sending people on the road or to practices. I can assume someone will attend home games, but none of their staff are providing primary material they sourced themselves anymore. I would assume Schaad goes to some out of preperation for his play by play season, but he isn't going to divulge anything the club won't want him to. My dad regularly reminds me of the great guys they had on the beat in the 70s and 80s.

6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I was trying to make my post tongue-in-cheek about the insiders. The only guy providing info is the media rep for the Caps via his Twitter feed. The media coverage will only happen the day before the first regular season game. Until then, it will be a big "meh."

7. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    ^I was trying to make my post a tongue-in-cheek effort. The Vancouver MSM will take interest only a day or two before the opening game vs the Impact at BC Place. Right now, there is a lot of meh, at best, going on.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    agree with what you, bear cat and old fan are saying about the lack of serious media attention- but the Whitecaps have created that by being a team that refuses/lacks imagination/ambition on how to capture the city's attention- its not the medias' fault

there was a definite buzz in the city and a crowd of over 28 000 for the game vs seattle in november- what did the coach decide to do? play defensive; the result- not 1 shot on goal

THE OPPORTUNITY WENT OFF INTO SOCCER SPACE and some newer fans were left with- IS THAT ALL THERE IS??!! and then the return game in seattle where we had 1 soft shot on goal

maybe our majority owner, greg kerfoot, wants the product to be watered down so he doesnt have be seen- higher team profile means he will have to have a higher profile- i just wish he would take his well-earned profit and sell to an ambitious owner who recognizes the prime opportunity to make the club a talking point in the lower mainland

BTW- please no tongue, at least in my cheek- LOL

BearcatSA repped this.
  9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Old Fan quote- My dad regularly reminds me of the great guys they had on the beat in the 70s and 80s.

writers were james lawton, jeff cross, mike tytherleigh to name 3 - they didnt hesitate to give their opinions- good or bad about the Caps- much like the media do for the canucks
    the whitecap writers/commentators today lack original research and critical opinions/insights- its mostly all 'pablum' writing/comment

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Lawton has continued to be a big time football journo and author in England and the only one of the three you mentioned still with us. I respected the other two writers very much, as well. What we get nowadays, with Post Media cost cutting, is just guys getting the same info from the club's twitter feed that you or I could probably get. I'm sure the Province's interview with Henry was done over the phone. That's the way it's going to be.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: Yohan Mollo

2012–2013
    Nancy 38 (6)
    2013–2016 Saint-Étienne 59 (9)
    2015–2016Krylia Sovetov (loan) 23 (0)
    2016–2017 Krylia Sovetov 12 (5)
    2017 Zenit Saint Petersburg 7 (1)
    2017Zenit-2 Saint Petersburg 4 (0)
    2017–2018 Fulham 6 (0)

anyone with any soccer knowledge and who did any trolling on the Net would have seen that he was another of the Whitecap free agents that was meant to create interest when in reality he would be a never would be- its a typical lots of teams in a short period of time which tells you a whole

the circus continues in whitecap land where even the most naive and enthusiastic supporter is getting the message that only players that come on a free loan or free agent will be added- hoping for a significant DP signing ($2-3 mill USD) just wont happen

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: Yohan Mollo- sent packing

2012–2013
    Nancy 38 (6)
    2013–2016 Saint-Étienne 59 (9)
    2015–2016Krylia Sovetov (loan) 23 (0)
    2016–2017 Krylia Sovetov 12 (5)
    2017 Zenit Saint Petersburg 7 (1)
    2017Zenit-2 Saint Petersburg 4 (0)
    2017–2018 Fulham 6 (0)

anyone with any soccer knowledge and who did any trolling on the Net would have seen that he was another of the Whitecap free agents that was meant to create interest when in reality he would be a never would be- its a typical- 'lots of teams in a short period of time'- which tells you a whole lot- nothing personal against him, but, if i were a regular player on the team, i would be scratching my head

the circus continues in whitecap land where even the most naive and enthusiastic supporter is getting the message that only players that come on a free loan, equal salary/or less trade or free agent will be added- hoping for a significant DP signing ($2-3 mill USD) just wont happen- its all about using the MLS and TAM and GAM money as long as very little comes out of the owners' pockets

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is how it works for 80% of MLS clubs. You take fliers at players that have shown some ability of playing at higher levels than MLS, are willing to play in Vancouver and at MLS wages. If player has a really great pedigree, they aren't looking at MLS unless there are very special circumstances. You give them a try and if it works, great. Plenty of times nothing comes of it. Th I s isn't unique to Caps.

tm13 repped this.
  14. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It is unique when that is their only action plan; trials are normal, but when that is all we got and no new DP's (Kamara is an aging guy from a trade), it magnifies the nonsense.

Our DPs are going to be Brek Shea (bench player paid down so nothing out of Kerfoot's wallet) and Kamara (aging player who should do ok, not sure if he is paid down or will have some salary paid by Greg).

That's it folks! So, trials like Mollo are literally their action plan. Not good!

PS - I like Kamara and he will help, should get 8 - 10 goals. Point being, if that is our DP action plan, it is not on the level this club should be at. This isn't a small owner barely making the payments, we have 5+ billion in wealth on our ownership team. Rachel can pump her fists for saving money on office supplies all she wants, at some point, the market response and ticket sales will reflect the Caps approach. Their window to catch fire is getting short. The Canucks should be good in a couple of years and the Lions are going to be growing again with the fresh management and approach.

15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    And what do the other 20% do, who are they, and how do they fair, year in and year out?

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that they need to make something happen with DP situation. But, worst thing they can do is sign someone as a DP just for the sake of signing someone. It might nit be until summer
    I agree that they need to sign DP's and that trials are not how you identify a DP. I also think that it is important not to sign a DP just for the sake of signing someone as the consequences can last a long time. Maybe I am wrong, but I think they will sign a DP but maybe not until summer. We'll see. The team doesn't look bad at the moment, but certainly a dynamic CM would go a long way.

I also agree that signs of Kamara look encouraging. Seems like he is in excellent condition and has a positive attitude. Will be good to have a legitimate target for crosses into the box.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Rumor- YORDY REYNA

charges might be filed against yordy reyna- is he even in the whitecap training as he hasnt played in any preseason games ? no word of him from are ill-informed, pablum media who really dont want to do any serious digging into this sad affair

i think there is growing public pressure on peru officials to not try and scrub reyna's hands of any direct or indirect participation in the girl's unfortunate death- an athletic 16 year old dies of a heart attack sounds like a far fetch of a story- somethings wrong

does any1 have any info re: this rumor which could very well be true ?

18. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    or it could be very well untrue
    sheesh

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    It would be nice to get a really thorough report about the comings and goings of the camp. When do they start getting rid of trialists. Who is injured?

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    right, but isnt it interesting that in 3 weeks of preseason, there has not be any report on reyna, nor has he been involved in any game? strange, very strange

he's either injured- but there has been no report about it- or came in out-of-shape- no report about that; or is dealing with the Peru issue which has had some reporting in that the peru police are encouraging charges being brought against yordy for lying

take your pick- but dont expect the media types to do any serious digging- it leaves it open to speculation

IMO reyna is an immature guy who is pissing away his soccer career

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i guess i had it wrong about his not playing :(

at this point, are you picking the Caps to be a playoff-bound team?

23. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Especially with Post Media papers like the Sun and the Province. They're bleeding money. The guy blogging got his info from the Caps media guy's Twitter feed.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If things go right, they can make the playoffs. I think there is a decent starting line-up there but they are thin at spots so injuries could really affect them. Not much quality depth behind Nerwinski and De Jong, for instance. I guess Juarez could fill in at RB and Shea at LB in a pinch. Kamara needs to stay healthy. So, my pick for the Caps as playoff bound is a big "maybe" ;)

tm13 repped this.
  25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i will go to the proverbial corner with my face stuck to the wall- reyna did play 45 minutes in the Caps 3rd preseason game on february 10

poor research on my part