Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    agree with all you say- never thought i would ever want a loosing season ending, but i do- its the only way the team owners and FO will get the message that we are not building a solid path to success- if we were, we would be better off than in 2014 when the present coaching staff was hired- anyone who tries and spin it to a positive after 2 years is living in la-la-land- 2014- winning %= 36; 2016 winning %= 38-- how is this building success?? if you cant do better in MLS after 2 years, you are doing a poor job of recruiting players- the budget has been adequate, the new players usually have not

just because a player is doing well in some SA or CA country, doesnt mean he will do well in MLS- its been a fool's paradise to believe that you can find a hidden gem in one of these countries- MLS is a lot better than most of those leagues where we have got players from, including kudo from japan

my concern is we will continue down the same path- and it is founded on the basis that FO Pres, bob lenarduzzi, has stated that the club will continue to look to and recruit from CA and SA, looking for cheap and talented players- hasnt worked out well- the expensive and failed list includes, morales, techera, rodriquez, rivero, flores, and smith; minor successes have been waston, bolanos, perez and mezquida, none of which are gems

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the latest new re pedro morales

http://theprovince.com/sports/socce...ps/pedro-morales-on-2017-maybe-you-never-know

i do appreciate that he tries 100% to contribute, unlike the other over-rated, expensive player, techera- pedro is a decent guy and probably a good teammate

but like myself and a few others have said over the past 1 1/2 years, he is just not DP worth, especially when your coach admits he doesnt know where to play him!! - he gets most of his goals from PKs and now is getting more and more injured and basically evaporates on the field when playing, especially road games- his long exquisite passes are becoming few and far between- IMO his professional soccer days are coming to an end and that is what his body is telling him- it wont get any better in 2017- he tried to come back fitter this season and it just didnt happen

truth be told, the Caps have wasted a lot of time and huge money trying to find hidden gems in CA and SA- rivero- $900 000 US (now traded- 2 goals), techera- $430 000 US (1 run-of-play MLS goal after bragging he was going to get 15!!), morales- $1 300 000 US (1 run-of-play goal this year and the last goal was in early May), mattocks- $300 000 US (now traded- scored 1 goal), jordan smith- $ 122 000 US, bolanos- $253 000 US (5 goals and hasnt scored in months) and perez- $215 000 US (2 goals); we also have the japanese player brought in to score goals- he has 2 goals!!- at $314 000 US

is it little wonder that the Caps suck at scoring and havent scored in over 500 minutes on 6 road games over the past 2 months!!!!!!

it comes to almost $4 000 000 US for this group of largely ineffective players- if contracts have expired- its time for the Caps to cut bait (the only player i would keep is bolanos who i think would thrive with a better team) and get a true and expensive #10 and goal scorer players which we so desperately need in order to improve for 2017- encourage morales and perez to move on and buy out techera's contract if it hasnt expired- he is a cancer on the team with his sulking and poor fitness

the only other way that things will improve for 2017 is a new coaching staff- simply put, they have been very poor at using the owners money for player acquisitions (mid-table in MLS for spending)- our winning % has made little improvement since they took over in mid-2014- under 40% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, no better than the fired previous coach- thats just not good enough for MLS or the Whitecaps

3. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    If a coach gets 3 years to implement his vision, and the result is you have to dismiss a significant portion of the roster and start from scratch (which is basically what they have to do and it started with shipping out Rivero); then it is madness to bring him back.

It's almost like Carl is back to year one this off season; rebuilding a prior regime's mess.

So, if he comes back next season, it will say A LOT about the Caps as an organization.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    agree- i fear the owners will keep them all if they get 8/21 points in the last 7 games- its a record that has not got better over the 2 1/2 years- it was better in 2015 simply because they had a great march and april and mid-summer burst; they were basically a weak team for most of the season

caps record under: martin rennie- 36% in wins; carl robinson- it will definitely be below 40%- is this really progress?? cut bait now or suffer the same results in 2017- the coach and his staff dont know what the hell they are doing with evaluating and recruiting players

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Quote from marc weber in the newspaper on the upcoming game vs NYRB:

'A striker is obviously on the shopping list, along with a No. 10, which you could argue is actually the more
    urgent acquisition.

Caps’ president Bobby Lenarduzzi has repeatedly answered questions about spending by saying the Caps aren’t in the
    market for $6-million types, but they’re open to spending more, somewhere in the $2-million range on the right
    player, he’s hinted.'

i have no hope that, if the coaching group and the FO have input into looking for a significant- and costly- goal scorer, #10 for 2017 and other positional players, they will get it right-- the wasted money- $4 000 000 USD- over the past 3 seasons has led us to this point of having a pop-gun offence and a very mediocre MF by MLS standards- the list of failures is huge- rivero, morales, kudo, flores, techera, mattocks, smith; mediocre signings have been aird, perez, edgar, de jong, bolanos and jacobson- it truly has been a revolving door and its why we are where we are- a weak team

continuing down the same path with the same people is a recipe for continuing poor results, poor use of the owners' money, increasing moans and groans from its great supporters and a decrease in attendance

they need to hire a person who has an astute and proven record of finding and recruiting these 2 players (plus a few others) that are so desperately needed for 2017-

6. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I was just flabbergasted that Carl put Pedro in the #10 role in his famous 4-2-3-1 after all the evidence showing you this does not work. Pedro can barely move now his body is so run down and his knees are riddled with tendonitis. I know Robbo has his "Must start pedro" mentality, then put him back with Laba... I just can't believe he went back to that again..

Mesquida would have done 900 times better. Morales was an absolute non factor today; he may have touched the ball less than 10 times perhaps.. it was sad and he had to pull himself out.

Kudo..... crucial home game, season dying, desperate for goals.. and you put your healthy 400k striker on the bench and go with a one striker formation. What does this say about Kudo?

Carl got his martyr moment today when he got tossed by the ref. That will probably be the justification to ownership that this game was not his fault.. blah blah blah

Honestly he is basically middle fingering everyone by saying he is going to stick with players and formations that are proven to fail just so he can say nobody told him what to do.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GAME ANALYSIS VS NYRB- 1-0 LOSS

1.The sadness of it all-
    gotta to feel badly for eric hurtado who had 8 great opportunities to score and missed the net on ALL of them- i couldnt believe that the RBulls were so bad on defence- they should have lost the game by at least 3 goals- hurtado tries so hard, gives 100%, but has the soccer 'sickness' of having brain freezes when given any golden opportunity to score- if only techera had 50% of eric's passion and committment!! sorry to say, but eric is a division 2 player

2. Completely gone- watching pedro morales struggling with his oft-injured body- IMO his body is done as a professional footballer- only a foolish whitecap FO and coach want him back... and that is entirely possible with this bunch of soccer illiterates who cant seem to rightly gauge the ability and perfomance of players from SA and CA third tier leagues

3. Go figure- he sits out a high-priced kudo who is supposed to be able to score goals (only has 2 this year and the Caps have 0 goals in the last 7 games)- truth be told- and now it is even becoming noticeable to most supporters and reporters- he is just not good enough for MLS- hopefully he is released back to japan where he would probably be happier anyways

4. Intimate moments- the referee just couldnt stop wanting to pull players to himself and having intimate talks with the players- why else would he do it so continuously? he must love being close to athletes!

5. The quotable quote that makes me look like a soccer genius- i turned to my son and said watch out for phillips, a true goal scorer (17 goals in his last 20 games... and at 1/2 the cost of morales)- 1 minute later, he scored the winning goal!!

6. This positive- watching fraser aird in mf just might be his best position- he barely escaped a red card for a 2-footed slide tackle- but i like his tenacity, his work rate and his crossing of balls is terrific

7. Gone and hopefully forgotten in 6 more games- watching techera go through the motions on the field is an embarrassment- his ego matches the departed omar salgado who now is languishing in the colombian 2nd or 3rd division- one trick ponies with a massive egos have no place in wearing a whitecap jersey- i would like to see davies as a starter and let him get more experience before 2017- he is ready for it, regardless of his age

8. The cutback- if i see morales, techera and the coaching staff back for 2017, i will cut back on attending games- why let their sad performances ruin my day? i have no hope for 2017 if i see them all back

9. The biggest mystery- why do the supporters, FO and owners not see the poor quality from the coaching staff who have wasted $5 000 000 CD on numerous ineffective players?? with that kind of money, we could have had a significant goal scorer and #10 player

10. Will they?- will there be a significant drop in STHs for 2017?? i am barely holding on- see #9- it might be the only way that the disengaged owners get the message and fire the coaching staff, move Bob Lenarduzzi to a PR type of job and get the proper people running the club with coaching and recruiting expertise

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    11. The Mr. Bean comical kick- techera- our 1 trick pony with only a left foot- had a great shot at net from about 6 yards out, but... it was on his right foot- he tried to hit the awkward ball with his left foot and it dribbled weakly to the side of the net- i laughed and cried at the same time- its soccer 101- a professional footballer needs to be able to comfortably hit the ball with both feet- its 1 reason why he will never make it as a professional player in any bigger capacity than USL Pro/NASL level

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    3 quotes from reporter marc weber:

... there are no signs that Robinson is thinking about dropping Morales from the lineup.

Instead, he’s given every indication that he’ll live and die with his captain down the stretch. He’ll let Morales’s play dictate his future, however he has to get him on the field.

MY TAKE- robinson has made his own sword to fall on- it was a naive and foolish move to have pedro on the field in saturday's game- it was apparent to most- obviously not all- that morales could barely run and kick a ball; his injuries are significant; it glaringly shows that the head coach is incapable of making sound decisions and adjust his style of play- stubborn and naive IMO- poor qualities for a young head coach

... If Pedro’s outstanding, then we’re a better team,” said Robinson, who one suspects might want Morales back at a reduced salary next season, depending how this stretch run goes.

MY TAKE- having pedro back for any sum of money is a waste of the owners' money, draining to the team who will watch this miserably unfold as it has this year and leave the supporters frustrated and angry that the coach is doing this- its not morales' fault- most players hate to admit that their professional playing days are over

... Regardless, the Caps have to sign an impact playmaker and a quality forward or two in January. That’s been made abundantly clear this season, which remains on life support after a run of seven MLS games without a win.

MY TAKE- i said this in the latter part of 2015, all through 2016- if the same people doing the evaluating and recruiting of new players continue to run this 'ship of fools', then i can assume the same results will happen- more overpriced players from 3rd tier leagues in CA and SA (or asia) that have little to no impact on building success for the whitecaps

this season is lost and i hope it continues to go badly- i have never wanted this before, but it might result in the coaching staff being fired for incompetence, and the FO being shaken up- FO Pres, bob lenarduzzi, should always stay a whitecap, but not in the lead role- he has given far too much leeway to the coaching staff in its recruiting and signing of new players, a wasteland of $5 000 000 CD and with a under 40% winning record, no better than the previous fired coach

MY QUESTION- will the owners come to the realization that their money has been wasted on poor/weak signings and more will have to be spent to get us out of this mess? will they do anything about it- their silence, inaction and invisibility is part of the reason we are where we are- are you prepared to loose more money?? piss off your great supporters? loose this great market if 2017 is the same?

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Morales suffers from tendonitis in his knee, he needs to get out of Vancouver and minimize the amount of time he plays on turf. They can talk about how great the turf is, but it is still relative and not a great thing for joints and knees.

I was just in LA and went to the Galaxy the game the other night. They weren't playing their big DP's but I couldn't get over how much more dynamic they appeared as a team than when I go to watch the Whitecaps.

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #811 OldFan2015, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    You are correct on Pedro. For his own sake, he needs to get out of here. Whether it is the physical less skill oriented nature of the league, the turf, or both; we have almost 3 years of evidence to tell us his body just can not handle being a consistent and regular player. In 2014 he had to actually pull himself out of the playoff game, in 2015 he was in very rough shape the 2nd half of the year, and this season he is even worse now that the season has worn him down.

I want to be clear, I am not ripping Pedro. I am ripping Carl for extended him last year when it was already clear his body was not suitable, and for continuing to start him in key positions in spite of his body and limitations for the role Carl keeps giving him.

I really felt sad for Pedro at the game on Saturday . He could do almost nothing, and seeing him walk off was painful to see. I can't imagine how hard this is on him emotionally because he does seem like a man who truly wants to help the club.

He needs to get to a less physical league, surrounded by more skilled players, on grass, and play as a sub and spot starter. If they bring him back next year he may end up having to retire as the body will just have had enough.

As for OUR turf.... when it is new, it is better than other turfs. However, it is still overlayed on concrete and can not replicate playing on grass that is set over dirt. And, the turf will be shit by the end of next year after 2 years of Lions, Caps, and being flatted under flooring for shows and events. The first turf was garbage after about 18 months. This new one they put in had some adjustments, so it may last a bit longer. However, it is already showing it's wear after only a year and a bit. I know they need the events to make BC Place at least remotely viable financially (it still loses a ton of money on operating losses every year), so we are stuck with it.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    http://theprovince.com/sports/socce...e-atiba-hutchinson-has-hit-full-time#comments

IMO, atiba is the best player canada has ever produced- crafty, slick, great shielder and distributor of the ball, a MF commander- the whitecaps should have signed him- along with the available will johnson- for 2016- we would have had a very solid MF, not the mish-mash we now have

(the 2nd is les wilson, but he never did play for canada)

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    of course, craig forest and jason devos would be 2nd and 3rd- les grew up and played the game until the age of 18 when he went over to wolverhampton in 1965- wolves were in the the top english tier- a great accomplishment for a young talent from vancouver
    http://www.prostamerika.com/2015/01/09/les-wilson-a-north-american-soccer-pioneer/107958

if you saw his resume, you would love to see him as the FO head- we wouldnt be seeing the circus we now have with so many poor recruitments and a lot of wasted money- he lives in the metro vancouver area, now 70, but he would get the club up to the high standard we all expect- if the owners dont make significant changes for 2017, we can expect a lot more of the same and morales, techera, kudo and robinson will all be back- GOOD GRIEF!!

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GAME ANALYSIS IN COLUMBUS, SEPT. 10: 3-1 WIN:

1. The Game Hilite-
    the players surrounding eric hurtado who finally scored- eric plays with such passion, work ethic and just pure honesty that it will be 1 of the few memories i have of this season of disappointment

2. The Heroes- the players who came to play- not the most talented or the most expensive- but it isnt about money... its about committment- and this group of players- techera aside who played with little committment and passion and was probably the most expensive Cap on the field- deserved the win

3. Did You Notice- without their most expensive Cap player on the field- morales- they came up with 2 run-of-play goals and a win- knowing the stubborn head coach, he will go back to the well of scoring disappointment and start morales who- at best- should be a 30 minute sub

4. Simply the Best- goalie ousted's second half save that- if let in- would have tied the game at 2-2

5. The Luck- we played one of the weakest teams in the league IMO

6. Taste it- savor the taste of a win because tougher, more determined teams fighting for a playoff spot are coming

15. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #815 OldFan2015, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    In a vacuum, a pretty decent road display for most of the game.

However, jesus Carl, why are you starting Pedro. HIS BODY CAN NOT HANDLE IT AT THIS STAGE.

One of few ways Pedro can impact a game is his free kicks from 20 - 35 yards out. He has scored a goal or two from there. Well, he is so broken down that he can't even take them in this game. Why would you start a player who is so worn out that he can't even do the things he specializes in. He has no power to lay off any of his long passes. So, as per usual, he was a non factor today. I don't get why you start this guy at this stage. He literally is having a hard time running more than 60% of his capacity and can't kick a ball hard enough to get it very far. Just baffling. he should be nothing more than a sub right now. You are basically playing with 10 men when he is starting.

There is no reason to keep Smith on the club. His lack of awareness of his positioning is a rare skill. Why not put Teibert back there if you refuse to play Aird? Russell has played that position before and he works hard, knows his position, and won't be beat nearly as much as Smith.

Lone strikers don't work with Hurtado, Barnes, or Kudo. What does Carl have to lose going with 2 the rest of the way. The results can't get any worse (not scoring), so why?

Kudo can't even make it in as a sub these days. A quality man, however, even Carl seems to see he needs to leave. He won't play him much.

Techera is who he is. A non factor most of the season. I still love how he has one decent game agains KC B team, and Weber shouts on the front page of the Province 'THE BUG IS BACK". I hope he is smart enough to realize what a silly headline that was.

I have no problem with losses, I love watching the Caps. What I have a problem with (and thus the negativity), is a coach who keeps doing the same failed thing over and over and over again. His blind commitment to all his Central and South American recruits in spite of their appalling results is a true sight to behold. His complete ignorance of Pedro's physical health just to keep him starting is almost like dogma at this stage. Carl says "We are better when Pedro plays well".. sure... however, the things he is good at he can't do right now due to his body! And, being a road game he is by default usually going to be invisible. I am done with this coach and it will be a long season next year watching him recruit more under performing players and predictable tactics then sticking with them until he falls on his sword.

Bobby has coached; I just can't fathom how he can look at this and think Carl should be back for another year. What really is going to happen? Carl cleans up his messes and brings in more new players who again turn into messes? Is the plan, recruitment, development, and tactics that failed for three years going to magically work in year four?

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morales and Smith were not the problems in this match, imo. Although it was interesting that Morales was playing on the right side and had to hit most of his long passes with his lesser right leg. Maybe due to his health? Bolanos was awful, Mezquido and Techera were very meh, and while I love Hurtado's effort, he doesn't have the quality to help the team score. I don't like Waston playing at LCB as he has no left foot. Not sure benching Parker in order to play Edgar is worth it. I would rather see Waston at RCB where he is more comfortable and just put Parker at LCB if Edgar isn't comfortable there.

Oh yeah, Laba isn't worth a DP slot. His tackle success numbers are less than 40% this year which is way too low for a player that only basically closes down and tries to win the ball.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the answer- NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #818 OldFan2015, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Well, in a vacuum you can say they were not the problem in this particular game. I bring them up more because they are a serious indicator of the lack of capability of our coach. That is what is distressing about the whole matter. Starting Pedro who literally can not do the things he is good at because of his body , and staying loyal to Smith ,and staying with the failed lone striker, is what gets me fired up. I don't want another year of this. The Caps can go 0-34 and I will still enjoy watching the games if the coach is going somewhere. Carl has stuck to a plan for 3 years, it has failed, and somehow year 4 will better? My rant for the week .

I am happy with the Edgar signing although i would prefer him as a depth guy as Parker needs playing time. Parker has been messed around a bit this year with having to play RB (not ready for it), or when Smith is on the field having to cover that guy's ass too much.

Great point on Waston. I don't know what to make of him, he has really had a difficult year. However, he is on a reasonable wage so he certainly should be back. However, if Carl does not solve RB the back will be a mess again next year.

Bolanos has so much talent; he just is not thriving with this system and teammates. Sad to see because he has so much more to offer, we have seen it.

As for Eric..... maybe he can do better in a 2 striker role.... however, when you get down to it... he can't seem to score in the MLS in spite of looking good at everything else. He has mind boggling numbers of chances, creates many of his own, and looks damn good out there right up until he has to put a ball into the net. As such, next year may be his last in MLS before he has to consider dropping to 2nd division (which I think he would thrive at). I don't recall off hand what he makes, however, it is likely around what Tom Heinnemann makes in NASL (150k per year), so he certainly can still make a living playing the game. Unless something miraculous happens next year, I just can't see him sticking in MLS as anything more than a fringe. If Carl had better options Eric would have been buried a while back; you can't start that many games and put up zeroes and keep your spot. I think he is great, there just is something missing at the end.

PS PS PS.... ChrissSSBB

Thanks for posting here. There are only 2 or three of us and it is nice to see some more action. The supporters forum is getting really toxic these days (personal attacks and so on), I hope a few more people will join us here on Big Soccer Vancouver!

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    SLIPPING INTO THE DARK ABYSS

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...28-toronto-fc-red-bulls-fc-dallas-sporting-kc

we are ranked last in the power ranking which is very accurate BTW

the biggest concerns for me as the team heads into the last part of the schedule and into planning for 2017:

1. a disengaged ownership group unwilling to hold anyone accountable- FO and coaching staff- for the waste of $4-5 million CD dollars on weak players- CA, SA, Asia- who are unable to make an impact in MLS

2. a coaching staff and FO that will continue to scour 3rd tier leagues, especially in CA and SA, regardless of the terrible results over the past 2 years

3. unwilling to admit that they got it wrong- see #2- they- the FO and coaching staff- have stated that they will continue to build mainly from CA and SA; and they foolishly traded steven beitashour which had a ripple effect across the defence- which i also predicted in february that this would happen

4. still perpetuating the myth- and some media reporters foolishly buy into it- that morales can lead this team to glory- its not his soccer DNA and his body is running out of freedom from injuries- which i stated would happen prior to 2016- bringing him back for 2017 will be an even worse season

5. lacking the ambition and vision to increase and solidify the whitecaps in a great market by signing a significant #10 and goal scorer- they should use much of the money from #1 and the $1 million they got for selling rivero back to colo colo (he cost them $2-3 million and scored a goal every 9-10 games!!)

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...ives+with+four+games+left/12218657/story.html

the ultimate spin doctor- head coach, carl robinson:

And Robinson plans on being ruthless in his assessment when it comes to who stays and who goes.

"Individually, they're playing for their lives," the Welshman said this week. "We've not reached targets that we wanted to this year. If you're not consistent enough, if you don't put the ball in the back of the net consistently enough and you don't keep it out of your goal, things like this will happen. I've got to address that, I will address that.

"There will be players going out and players coming in. It's as simple as that."

i might have given carl some leeway in 2015, but after the disaster this year due to very poor recruiting, poor decision-making and the consistent flogging of team formations and starting lineups that were a mess and had poor results, i am not of the same persuasion

not only should some players (mostly the expensive ones), be expedited out of vancouver, but so should the coaching staff who are ultimately responsible for what happens- they did the recruiting, they chose the team, they chose the team formation and game strategy- and the FO also needs to be shaken up for supporting this mess

alas, the disengaged owners are soccer turnips when it comes to developing and holding accountable the final product on the field- carl and his staff should be the first ones going out- far too stubborn, too reliant on unproven players from 3rd tier leagues, wasting $4-5 million CD on weak players, trading RB beitashour causing us to the the poorest defensive team in MLS, and staying with players who never did, never would and never will take us to being even a middling team

2017 offers no hope for a significant change with these people- owners, FO, coaching staff- running this smoke and mirror show-too much spin doctoring- the whitecaps could have taken their imprint in the city to a new and better level- alas, the impact has flattened and if 2017 starts the same way it has ended, then there will be a decline

EXPECT MORE, BE MORE

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd RC of the season for Waston. Dumb. There comes a point where you have to wonder when is enough, enough.

Bringing in Parker and Jacobson doesn't sound like the best way to get 2 goals a man down but it worked. They are two players who have not played much lately and I have to wonder if results have suffered because of it.

Bolanos can piss off the way he slowly walked off the field when subbed out while his team is down a goal and trying to fight back.

I thought Hurtado was going to be left with another header off the crossbar at the end of the match but he finally got that little bit of luck to get a goal. Only a point in a disappointing season but the team could have given up in this one but instead fought hard until the end.

22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Best part of the game for me was Eric getting a goal. He has worked so hard this year and he needs to add to that total to keep relevant in MLS.

Waston... I really don't want him around the club. He just is reckless, a hypocrite, and just not someone I don't think we should be proud to have on the team. He has not only been mediocre this year, he is also doing just absolutely stupid stuff to get red carded. Every red card he got this year was justified no matter how much he or Robbo want to blame the ref to help themselves feel better.

Yeah, Bolanos... what a talent when he is on... I think he has checked out on the coach and that may be affecting him in ways you just mentioned.

Carl is just awful with young players. He keeps burying them (Parker has been the latest victim) and ends up ruining them or having to loan them out. He played Manneh out of position due to his love of lone strikers, Adekube is almost ready to be LB last year, got buried, and now they have to loan him out. Bustos has no hope here and neither does Froese. Do people actually think Carl will be good for Davies? By the middle of next year Carl will have buried him and he will be off course. And let's not go on about Teibert.

So here we are; legitimately half of the gameday 18 needs to be shipped out and Carl somehow thinks it is the players fault? A manager of anything is responsible for whom he/she hires. Carl was wrong on a lot of the players he brought in, it is not their fault.. it is his for being poor at assessing players before signing them. And it isn't just our current roster, there is a long list of players Carl has signed that already have been shipped out due to not being good enough

And, Pedro is Pedro. Useless for the game as per usual. Yes, he got a goal... just in the right place at the right time to tap it in. No impact anywhere else. Carl won't bench him so I can just hope somehow, some way, they don't pick up his option or Pedro wants to move elsewhere.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    spin doctors are never able to admit they are getting it wrong... so we can assume that the whitecaps FO and coaches will continue to flog these 3rd tier soccer leagues for cheap players in such places as CA and SA, looking for the proverbial golden gem that no other team in the world has found - and in the process, they will loose countless amounts of money- which i have written about previously- and encouraging/coaching players not good enough for the tier 2 league of MLS

some people are very stubborn and often naive to this folly and us- the supporters- watch in anguish and despair

the only player from CA i would keep is bolanos IF he wants to be here and IF he is a good locker room/training professional- i think he could blossom with a better team, but the MF is weak and the strikers anemic

and i agree with you- waston is just costing too much to the team and he isnt fast enough to cover speedy strikers, so his only recourse is to be physical against them as we wait for the yellow and red cards to fly out of the refs' pockets

24. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Hah.. so Weber thinks we should bring back Camilo.... I am not sure he understand these points:

1 - two ACL/knee surgeries that kept him out for 2 years
    2 - bad blood from before (although that can be repaired, I grant Weber that)
    3 - The Caps DO NOT own his MLS rights, he would have to go through the system where teams are in an order and can pick him. The Caps would have to trade money and/or a good player to get to the top of this list.
    4 - based on him having two serious knees and 2 years off, paying him anything more than a non DP wage would be an absurd risk and advocating giving him a DP spot now is unreal

ALl of this because Weber saw him score a good goal on the internet. Hey ,he has talent.... I doubt his knees will allow him to play full time anymore.

What a bunk of an article today. I need some birds so I know what to line the cage with.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the reporters are mynah birds and can only speak the lingo that they are fed by the spin doctors representing the Whitecaps- whatever became of insightful, questioning, critical reporting that we see with the canucks, for example- instead we get reporters repeating the company line-

if the canucks had a head coach who has a winning % the same as the last fired coach at under 40% 2 1/2 years ago, the media would be all over it in a critical way- instead we get pablum reporting

why isnt there critical reporting about the poor recruiting in CA, SA and asia over the past 2 years?? - the list is extensive and i fear the team will continue the same pattern- i would only keep 2 players from those areas- laba and, if he is a good teammate, bolanos- be willing to pay the money to get proven quality who have played in quality leagues- not unproven prospects- in the #10 and 9 position, something i have been calling for since 2015, get a quality proven RB and 2017 becomes a more hopeful season (maybe we can get beitashour back!!)