WHITE OUT - RSL v Chicago Fire. 8/4/18. 8pm MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Aug 3, 2018.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Schweinsteiger and the Chicago manager were giving Stott abusive hell in the tunnel after the game.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the moment of the match.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stott would have been justified had he given it. I’m still surprised to be honest.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And apparently, Bastian Schwensteiger thought so, too.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't sure since Schweinsteiger appeared to have "hunched" lower than normal and Kyle caught him trying to "swim" past. But I didn't like the angles I saw to be able to weigh in definitively.

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was unconvinced that it was a red card. Fact is, Beckerman has always been the master of the casual elbow and other dings on opponents. And, it may well have been intentional. But, it wasn't an obvious error on the part of the CR, IMO.

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Enjoyed the game.

I get a little weary when the RSL back line try’s to get creative. It has almost bit them in the butt a couple times. Glad hasn’t been his stellar self much this year. Maybe give Besler a game to get Glad a little better focused.

I thought the attack looked better but RSL still needs a finisher up top.

Thank you Damir. You deserved a hat trick.

Looking at the schedule to finish the season I will be amazed if RSL makes the playoffs.

RSLer repped this.
  8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I'd be amazed, but they do need to beat the odds. SportsClubStats have RSL at less than 50% chance even though we sit in a playoff spot right now. The reason must be the way the rest of the schedule unfolds in terms of strength of opponents and road games combined with horrid road record.

I agree that we don't 'feel' like a playoff team. Though, we are a more solid team than last year by a good bit. As this crew of players mature and if we can replace Beckerman with someone so that he's a late sub rather than regular starter, we may become a solid playoff team next year.

I tend to disagree with the assessment that we need a better offensive force. IMO, we gain a lot of value from several good scorers on the team. Lots of options for other teams to track.

IMO, our overwhelmingly biggest need is a franchise quality d-mid. Beckerman is no longer that guy.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are these several good scorers to which you refer?

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plata, Rusnak, Kreilach, Savarino, Baird, Silva, Saucedo... none of them are 'the go to guy', but in a way that's good. How does a defense keep track of everyone? A problem for a team that has the go to guy is everyone in the stadium knows the ball is going through him and the team becomes overly reliant on him, forcing the ball to him at the expense of other opportunities.

11. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched a movie instead of watching the game. Looks like I missed a good one.

Pigherder with a fancy strike, eh?

Isle of Dogs is excellent.

12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I’m guessing that it will take 48+ points to make the playoffs this year. 46 was the cut off last season an the West is tougher this season.

That’s 15 points in the last 11 games for RSL. If they win all their home games that will get them to 48.

They have Montreal, LAG, Minn., Portland, and NE to finish out the season at home. I don’t see them winning them all which means they have to pick up points on the road.

Road games to end season are LAFC, Houston and Colorado all in a row then ATL, KC and Portland to finish.

Looking at the teams and RSL’s road ability I think 4 points might be tough and a stretch.

Not a lot of room for error.

Will they be able to pick up enough points on the road to cover dropped points at home?

I don’t know.

Also I think besides a DM a seasoned quality striker up top is a necessity in my mind.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that none of them are good scorers. Plata comes close. He’s above average anyway. Kreilach is good considering his position I guess. Other than those 2 the rest are average to below average.

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to argue with. Our table position in both goals scored and goals conceded is roughly the same. I'm personally of the belief that defense is most important to get right. Before you can win, you gotta stop losing. Defense obtains draws. And, good defense starts offensive opportunities.

goobx1 repped this.
  15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked a little more at our trends and I'm going out on a limb and say that we will just barely make it into the playoffs. Our trends are as follows, and all are fairly steady trends looked at both from a 4-game form and 6-game form: Improving goal differential over the course of the season. Improving goals scored/game over the course of the season. Improving goals allowed/game over the course of the season.

Caveat: The most recent 3 games compared to the previous 4 games on all three metrics is just a bit of a dip. Same for the most recent 6 games compared to the previous 6 games. So, it may be we reached the peak with this team about 8 games back.

Biggest take home point: A lot of RSL's statistics are weighed down by two very poor games early in the season, both 4 goal losses.

goobx1 repped this.
  16. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna be bold and say that our opponent's defenses are not overly concerned about Corey Baird. Having a true striker that defenses did have to keep a close eye on would only open up more space and chances for the guys you listed.

TheBiff, RSLer, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he means he should have been screaming at them, Hererra was marking his own man at the back post and doing just fine. Rimando could have yelled at Silva and Glad too for that matter.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I loathe firework crowds. Look, don't get me wrong, they're a great potential tool to bring in new fans. Or at least they were in the early days. Now? if you haven't heard of RSL you aren't going to suddenly stumble on them at a fireworks game. Instead you're just getting the large family that is there to consume more food than they need, spill more drink than they should have got, and take more space than they bought. All while not giving a shit about the game. I agree with the Chicago announcers comments - the crowd was quiet despite the numbers. that was why
    2. Justen Glad is having a rough go lately. There were multiple moments in this game where me made a mistake, and then in his haste to make up for it made an additional mistake. That it didn't cost us a goal is amazing to me. I think he'll get a red card in the coming few games unless he changes things.
    3. Why the hell is Herrera starting over Acosta? Herrera was getting absolutely abused for most of the first half and a lot of the second half. He made number 7 for Chicago look like a ********ing all star. Speaking of that player, why the hell did Chicago take him off?!
    4. Kreilach's goal stretch lately is exactly why we brought him in. We all begged for an additional runner from the midfield to be dangerous on the offensive end of the pitch. He seems to have found the timing on secondary and third runs into the box. it's fun to watch
    5. What is not fun to watch, though, is the way this team (doesn't) utilize Rusnak. This has been the most maddening change of late 2017 RSL to 2018 RSL. We play through the wings and the forwards at the expense of the midfield. I can understand why we are hesitant to go through KB and Kreilach (another bullet point to come) but to not use Rusnak is just ********ing stupid. He is our most important offensive piece and it feels like his touches are dwindling.
    6. To be fair, though, the wingers were pretty damn special in this game. Savarino, in particular, was having himself a night. His dribbling run on the second goal was top level stuff. To be able to keep the ball in that kind of traffic, in that location on the pitch, is just amazing.
    7. Plata also was on his game. His assist was sublime. My seats in 14 made it so I could watch the run by Kreilach develop and the space for Plata open up. It was amazing. As Plata hit the ball he was already celebrating.
    8. I wish Baird could get all the experience of this year and maybe next right now, too. People want him to be developed but don't want to give him the time to develop. I don't think he's going to be a top level forward, but he's growing in each and every game. Until we can splash on a forward that someone other than Waibel bought, I'm fine with him up there.
    9. Why the hell did Petke take so long to make a sub? Sunny and Besler should have been added on sooner, IMO, to help settle the game in. A better team (or a more focused Schweinsteiger) find an equalizer with how Petke managed the end of that one.
    10. Speaking of Schwieinsteiger, wtf man? You got caught on a tackle accidentally. Move on. To then lose your mind over a foul that was so routine was just... what the ********?
    11. To that point, how the hell was he not sent off? KB would have been given 5 red cards by the time Stott finally put Schweiny in the book.
    12. This game was more enjoyable in person than many of the other recent games I've been to. not sure if that was the same for others, but there was a bit more energy, especially in the second half.
    13. This team isn't winning their remaining home schedule, I'll guarantee you that. SO unless they find some secret formula, the playoffs are a pipe dream. I think "best case" scenario is we finish 5th or 6th which, as I've stated before, is honestly a waste for this team.
    14. KB and Kreilach midfield duo is bad. Please stop starting it. Kreilach has to be on the pitch, rotate KB. If Petke is as "hard nosed" of a manager as people make out to be (benching Henry) then he should have no problem doing this, regardless of if it's coming from "up top" to start KB.
    15. Transfer window closes Wednesday. I doubt anything changes with this team

RoyalNonesuch, RSLer, Allez RSL and 3 others repped this.
  19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would agree that the Fireworks games are getting a little old but I still enjoy them for the most part.

We sit in section 25 8 rows up and it gets annoying when the row fills up with people, not from section 25, waiting to be allowed access to the field to watch the fireworks show.

It's annoying because we like to go sit outside of the stadium to watch the fireworks. Why? Because its a better show out there, but don't tell anyone. We spent many games on the field, which is fun in it's own way and will probably do again at some point, but for now we enjoy getting the better view out side the stadium.

Also, I do like Baird a lot and think he will be a good and maybe great pro but RSL would benefit greatly with a striker up top that teams actually feared or had to think twice about.

if RSL doesn't pull the trigger on a player during this window I think that might be the end of Waibel. If he couldn't come up with an option for Dear Leader to pull the trigger on maybe his time is up. I know I wouldn't be too upset if RSL found a new GM.

There's got to be better choices out there to take RSL into MLS 3-4-5.0.

Who knows, maybe there is a surprise in the works. Spenno did say after the game that there were targets but whether or not anything happens remains to be scene.

20. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Firework shows:

Seen one, seen 'em all.

21. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The LAG will be crucial win opportunity. LAG is currently 5th RSl 6th. 538 sports forecast RSL making the playoffs at 47% and finishing 7th with Seattle and LAG getting last two spots.

22. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    A friend of mine met up at Bar Named Sue in Sandy to watch. For a place that hosts the pregame radio show and has a shuttle to the game, they were really hesitant to turn one TV to the RSL game while 50 others showed UFC 13433.

Anyway. I thought RSL played okay overall but I agree with the Damir, KB duo. That needs to stop. I think we all wanted a target striker during this transfer window, but I'd be happy with a solid defensive mid.

I don't see a game that isn't winnable coming up but I still wouldn't be surprised to miss the playoffs. I had making the playoffs as my bar for the season so if we miss out, then something needs to change.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They subbed out #7 so that he would be able to play in their USOC game on Wednesday.

Savarino has really turned things around the last few weeks. I’m just waiting for his shooting form to come around.

You are correct about Kreilach. They brought him in to improve the attack, and he’s now doing it.

I always enjoyed the fireworks games because it allowed me to quickly get to my car and beat the traffic after the game.

24. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really like some of 15's points. There are few LBs as athletic and talented as Acosta. I'm befuddled. I also love the extra attacker that Kreilach becomes. He draws an off defender or is pretty unmarked.

Granted, Chicago's D was shit-tastic at best.

25. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while I am also confused about the benching of Acosta I think Harrera has done a decent job and I would like to see Acosta at DM. He played there a bunch in his academy days and maybe could be the new KB.

RSLer repped this.