Which will happen first? MLS wins CCL or Liga MX wins Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Beavis Stiffler, Feb 13, 2013.

?

Which one would you like to see happen first?

1. MLS team winning CONCACAF Champions League

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Liga MX team winning Copa Libertadores

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I can see the MLS win the CONCACAF Champions League and Liga MX can win the Copa Libertadores in the near future or maybe in the same year.

2. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A mexican team will definitely win Libertadores first!!!!!!!!!

As long as it aint chivas or pumas

3. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wouldn`t that be funny though..........Can an MLS team really claim to be the best team in Concacaf when they win the CCL?.......when a mexican team is at the same time lifting the Libertadores.

;)

4. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That will be hilarious!
    But can you claim to be the best team in Concacaf by just winning the Concacaf Champions League? Isn't harder to win a LigaMX tittle, than a Concachampions? In the previous oncachampions Monterrey only had three real opponents to lift the trophy, and I remember Monterrey was not considered the best Mexican team in 2012 in Mexico, not even close. For a Mexican team, winning the Concachampions is an obligation.

Now, for an MLS team to win a Concachampions league, :rolleyes: there would need to be some type of celestial alignment, meteorites falling in Russia, no Pope in the Vatican, and "Atlas" in a winning streak... :p
    Oh, wait...:cautious:
    Na, Tigres takes this one.

5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yes thats true.

Monterrey and Santos were the 2 best teams in Mexico.......Thats why they reached both the mexican and CCL final!

6. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Liga MX team winning Copa Libertadores of course. The MLS is a joke, the CCL title is always decided between Mexican clubs now.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  7. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Isn't that a shame?
    Won't you like to have a very competitive regional competition like Libertadores or UEFA Champions League in Concacaf, where any top team from several federations could win the title? That would be very exiting to watch.
    Because right now, we all know which teams are favorites to win the title, and if a mexican team doesn't win it, it would be a miracle... It would need to be several of those type of games like when Monterrey was beaten by Seattle in Monterrey, where Monterrey had like 20 clear chances and they miraculously missed all of them, plus 70 percent of possession while Sounders had one and scored, and played with 11 in defense, or that final when Barcelona lost against Mourinho's Inter. That shït only happens once in a blue moon.

8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Probably MLS winning.

9. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Libertadores seems to be a brazil only party these days

With mexican teams being Conmebol`s last hope ;)

10. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes, there's a clear dominance of Brazilian teams In Libertadores, from the last 7 semifinals, there was 8 Brazilian of 14 teams in total.
    8 Brazilian teams in semifinals. 4 Titles
    3 Argentinian teams in semifinals. 2 Titles
    1 Ecuadorian team in semifinals. 1 Title
    1 Mexican team in semifinals.
    1 Uruguayan team in semifinals.

But there's no comparison with "the only party" in Concachampions, out of the 14 semifinalists; 12 were Mexican teams. Winning "ALL" the titles...

That's sad... if we consider Liga MX as a mediocre league... what can we say about the rest of Concacaf? I remember when a Costa Rican team was invited to Copa Sudamericana in 2005 and got embarrassed by Colo Colo 11 - 2 in aggregate, yes ELEVEN - TWO (wasn't baseball)... :eek: even I felt ashamed of Concacaf.

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

its not. its a good league.

I didn`t, I LMAO at malajualense

12. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good thing Concacaf was revindicated by the Mexican teams, specially Pumas UNAM! In the same tournament they beat Conrinthians (current world champions) 4 - 2 aggregate in QF, and then the Argentinian giant Velez Sarfield 4 - 0 aggregate in SF. Then falling to Boca Juniors 2 - 2 (3 -2) in penalty shootouts in a controversial final. (That we all know what happened)

13. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Of course I'd like more competition but as of right now Liga MX is too good for the rest of the region.

14. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pumas reached the final in 05. Malajualense got their butts handed to them in 06, The year Toluca reached the semi`s and when Pachuca won it.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

a Guatemalan team and a Jamaican team knocked out a crappy mexican team!

16. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Makes sense, it was a shitty team. :p

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, 2013-2014 is my team's first shot at the CCL. Doubtful they'll win it all unless they add ridiculous, unusual talent in the next year... but at least it's a change of pace. I'd love to see, if nothing else, MLS become significantly more competitive in the tournament. I think everyone would, even if MX fans still want all the trophies.

Really, though, all things considered, a stronger MLS only means a more distinctly bifurcated tree. Heck, this year we have 3 MX and 3 MLS sides in the quarters, giving us just two from all the other potential areas. And that's largely because the other two teams were in groups with the silly Guadalajara and the goal-droughting RSL. I'd like to see some Central America threat up there, too.

The jump is weird for MLS teams. We have the group stage against, more or less, minnows, and then after our preseason the next year, we jump up ten levels and face the toughest teams any MLS side has to deal with.

B2TO repped this.
  18. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agree, we all want better competition in the region.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  19. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, it's apples and oranges to compare it to winning the league. The CCL is a 2-year process. You can't forget what it takes to just qualify for the CCL. You can say that the qualifying is the hardest part.

So, I think it's fair to call the CCL champs the best in CONCACAF over that 2-year process. Of course, if a Mex team wins the Lib Cup, then there is an argument. However, the CCL teams are disqualified from Lib simply because they were too good in the league. They shouldn't be punished for being successful.

Inca Roads repped this.
  20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Careful what you wish for.

I'd rather have Mex teams continue to dominate. I don't want any more Xelaju-situations happening.

21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just curious, but why? I understand having that point of pride and that greater likelihood that the club you root for can win it, but wouldn't you rather the competition, you know, mean something more? If the UCL didn't have numerous different leagues vying for top spots every year, it would matter much less, if you ask me.

I suppose there's a difference of perspective, too. Just like MX teams in Copa Lib, we've got the perpetual underdogs in the CCL compared to you. So any ground MLS gains in that tournament is cause for celebration here--and possibly cause for worry in Mexico. Is it that MLS is improving or that MX is weakening? That kind of question. If you ask me, both leagues are pretty solidly on the up, which is why Mexico is looking stronger in the Lib and MLS is hardly gaining any new ground in the CCL.

I watch a lot of both MLS and MX. Both are very enjoyable leagues with significantly different flavors. And it's that difference that makes Champions League action always exciting. I would like to see a mix of the two taking home trophies--and, to be honest, a few other, even more underdoggy teams like Xelaju, sneaking one every now and then. Because if watching European soccer has taught me one thing, it's that monopolies get very dull.

deejay, ImaPuppy, itcheyness and 2 others repped this.
  22. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :thumbsup:

ImaPuppy repped this.
  23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    There's your answer.

The MX League has been chasing 2 international Cups for years now: Liberators and Club World. Losing this tourney would be backtracking towards that goal. A regression. B2TO may want a bigger challenge for his team, but it's not like the challenge won't be there from fellow Mex clubs and the Club World Cup competitors. It's already extremely difficult to win 1 of those 2 Cups, Mexico doesn't need it to be more difficult.

24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How would a more difficult CCL make a more difficult road to the Lib or CWC? I thought winning the Lib got you into the CWC--and into a later round.

25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    1)The CCL is the road to the CWC. A more difficult CCL=more difficult road to CWC. As far as Lib goes, well it wouldn't affect the Mex teams in Lib. But it's still a distraction for fans. I'd rather breathe easy over CCL so I can focus on Lib better.

2)Not for Mex teams. They can only get to the CWC thru the CCL.