Which US bubble players should be name to the WC roster?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Feb 23, 2006.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Which US "bubble players" should be named to the WC roster?

2. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    where's my name? :(

:D

3. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Option #16. "other".

:D

4. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    heh. :p

5. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I picked Twellman, Pope, Dunivant, Spector and Other (because Clint Dempsey wasn't on the list.

6. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Pretty much the same for me:
    Twellman, Spector, Pope, Zavagnin, Olsen and Dunivant

I didn't vote for him but Quaranta might have an outside shot.

7. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen shouldn't even be on that list...

8. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put Freddy Adu not because I think he should be playing but if we are to groom him in the future of United States soccer, he should experience the World Cup without the pressures of being a starter.

I refer to Ronaldo 1994 when I say this.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Spector - Because of versatility

Pope (or Conrad depending on April form) - I chose Pope for leadership

Adu - This all depends on his April but I would love to have something explosive on our bench because the thought of bringing in Josh Wolff for instant offense doesn't make me overly confident

Olsen - A tireless worker and a guy that will improve the team chemistry even if he sits on the bech the entire tourney.

Twellman - Is he even a bubble player at this point?

Those were my picks.

10. ManUSA

ManUSA New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I picked Chris Rolfe. Hes just got so much pace.

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    No fair! The poll didn't tell me I could pick more than one. Boo!!

12. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

players is plural. not to be a dick...

spector, pope, twellman, other(Dempsey), dunivant, an KZ

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, anyone using the Internet needs to learn that when you're filling out a form, if the "boxes" are round, you can only choose one. If the boxes are square, multiple choices are possible.

14. SumRoy

SumRoy Member

Jan 22, 2000
    Chicago, IL USA
    Where are Dempsey and Noonan on this list?

I really hope at this point that Twellman is assured a spot on the roster, barring injury.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'm thinking she's counting dempsey as pretty well in, and my homeboy noonan just picked up a hamstring injury that will probably hamper his shot to make the team

16. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't clever enough to notice the multiple option, so I voted for one: Conrad. Not only am I forced to admit, based on his performace at the Gold Cup last Summer, that he is a solid defender, but he seems like the player whose absence would most harm a team other than mine. ;)

17. jankballs

jankballs New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Seattle
    Voted for Dunivant, Twellman, and Pope. Dunivant has been exceptional at crossing it to players feet or heads in the box - not just crossing it to nobody (my one problem with noonan), Twellman has been scoring and getting dimes, and I think a fit Pope is invaluable to defense even if he just comes off the bench.

18. JugglinNCWest7

JugglinNCWest7 New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Since Pope is basically assured of starting because of the leadership he brings to the team and the fact that he can still play I really don't think he is a bubble player. Also, I really don't think Wolff, Twellman, Conrad, or Dempsey are bubble players either. I think they all have all but earned a spot on the team as can be seen by the roster for the Poland game. I've never seen Dunivant play but from what I've heard, Spector is a much more versatile player as he can play basically anywhere on the left side and while young, has picked up a lot of experience starting the most of (if not the entire) season for Charlton Athletic. I definitely think Olsen deserves a shot and I think either he or Zavagnin will be taken if there is any doubt that O'Brien or Reyna will not be able to play. For this reason I voted for:

Pope, Wolff, Twellman, Conrad, Spector, and Zavagnin

19. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can at this point twellman be a bubble but not dempsey? Also i really hope that noonan is healthy for the wc i think he adds great versitility to our team.

20. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    I second the notion - and I still think although Twellman is doing great, he is being outperformed by Dempsey. Put both of em on, though.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree that Pope isn't a bubble player, I think he's pretty much in. But whether or not he starts is very much a question. A healthy gibbs would mean gibbs and Gooch, and even if gibbs isn't in, Boca has been playing very well, and a gooch- boca pairing is quite possible. that said, I think the re-emergence of Pope makes Conrad very definitely a bubble player, and one who's going to have a hard time making this squad, esp if Gibbs is in form (I'm thinking 4, not 5, cds, though, and five might be more likely if we're going to play any 3-5-2).
    I agree with the earlier poster that it's worthwhile to have Adu on the bench to soak it in. Don't think it will happen.
    Based on BA's comments, KZ will be on the squad. I would count him as a bubble player only because of the uncertainty about JOB. And Spector hasn't started most of Charlton's game, he's started a handful. to me he looks like a player who will be a lock for 2010, but isn't quite ready for 06, but that's me. I think he'd have been a solid yes if the cup had been 07, because he looks close to hitting his stride.

22. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    pope, OLSEN, santino and ching.

and it's not just b/c i'm a DCU fan...well, i guess it is.

23. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope starting? We can sure hope not. His recent reemergence is nice and he should make the squad due to his experience and knowledge, but Gooch, Gibbs, Boca and Berhalter are better options than him in the middle of the backline.

I picked Pope, Twellman, Z, Wolff, and I guess I should've added other for Dempsey, and maybe Frankie Hejduk? Do we consider him a bubble player? I just don't see a better option to cover either fullback spot than Frankie right now. Sure Dunivant coming on strong is nice, but too little too late from him is my opinion, unless a defender goes down with an injury. Figure he'll be on the outside looking in along with Spector and Conrad.

24. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    I know what bubble players means, but who came up with that? It's ridiculous.

25. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Pope is a starter at center back, as well as a team leader. This list was poorly made. Noonan's name isn't on there, either. I am hard pressed to call Twellman a bubble player now after his last few performances. Bubble players should be considered long shots such as Dunivant, who has actually looked quite impressive as of late. But Pope, one of the best American defenders, ever, hardly a bubble player!

In any case here is my roster of 23 so far, ceribus parabus.

FWDS: McBride, Johnson, Twellman, Wolff
    MF: Reyna, O'Brien, Beasley, Donovan, Lewis, Ralston, Dempsey, Mastroeni
    DF: Pope, Onyewu, Gibbs, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Berhalter, Convey(more as a utility player who can play in MF and DF, and he has been one of the top performers in the English Championship), and possibly Dunivant if he continues to impress, and recovers from his recent hip injury.
    GK: Keller, Howard, ?(The third goalkeeper is a mystery... maybe Cannon, but I have no idea)