Which teams will debut as first-timers in Brazil 2014?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Dr. Gamera, Jun 22, 2011.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big day for Iceland. Hoping they get there. it would be a nice story.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceland 0-0 Croatia

3. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nail in the coffin for Ethiopia. They had a great run, but looks like Nigeria will be our first team from Africa.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh well, so it looks like we've lost Ethiopia - one of the few FTQs still in contention, who lost 4-1 on aggregate to Nigeria. We've pretty much also lost Jordan who lost 5-0 at home to Uruguay, meaning they need a 6 goal win in Montevideo to qualify. So the hopes pretty much hinge on Iceland and Burkina Faso. Both teams play on Tuesday. Iceland drew 0-0 at home with Croatia so will need either a win, or scoring draw away to go through, while Burkina Faso won 3-2 at home, but need to get at least a draw in Algiers to seal qualification and join Bosnia & Herzegovina as our first team qualifiers next year.

5. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, Burkina Faso could also lose by 1 and qualify, provided they get 3 away goals (i.e. minimum is a 4-3 loss, and that would send BF through on away goals), but the chances of that happening are slim.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not going well for our remaining FTQs at the moment with both Burkina Faso and Iceland down a goal. Burkina Faso has 2o minutes to get a goal to get themselves back into the world cup.... going even worse for Iceland, down a goal but can't even get teh ball out of their own half...

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hold the phone... Croatia reduced to 10 men.. this could get interesting...

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh well, Burkina Faso go out... so I guess our only hope now for another first time qualifier to join Bosnia is...

LGRod repped this.
  9. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Croatia 2-0 Iceland atm.. I can't see Iceland scoring 3 goals to qualify

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They only need two actually as a 2-2 draw puts them through on away goals but yeah I agree, it looks over... but hang on... there's still Jordan - they only need 6 in Uruguay!

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    They seem to have a legit case that could send them to brazil.. What's the likelihood FIFA does something about it, or in other words, sends Burkina Faso to the World Cup?

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know they eliminated Cape Verde in similar fashion after they won in Tunis so if FIFA is consistent, this may happen

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Thing is that there is no such yellow card for Bougherra registered. Possibly the referee made a mistake, but then worst case scenario it will be a rematch.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A hypothetical rematch on a neutral site would be exciting! Hope BEIN Sport televises it. :p

16. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    A legit case, maybe... but isn't there a FIFA rule somewhere in the laws of the game which suggests they can't cancel a game simply because of refereeing errors? I mean if they can do that, then the away game should be voided as well. Coz BF got a bogus pk + i think they also got an offside goal.
    Cape Verde's case was different. The player was suspended & still fielded. That is vastly different from a layer who is eligible to start but stays on coz a ref missed a foul he committed.
    The most that will come out of this is, FIFA will suspend the player for 2 - 3 games. The guy will probably miss the world cup, but Algeria won't.

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No and that would be crazy to rule the match in favor of BF because of refeeing decisions when they had a phantom call for them in the first leg. What they are protesting is that goalscorer Madjid Bougherra shouldn't have been playing as he'd already picked up 2 yellow cards from previous matches, one being the 1st leg and should have been suspended for the 2nd. I think the standard punishment is a 3-0 loss for the accused team.. see the link below:

http://www.supersport.com/football/article.aspx?Id=2211564

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I recall a match a couple of years ago in the AFC Champions league, where an Iranian club (Sepahan) beat the eventual champions of the CL (Al Sadd) home and away in the quarterfinal, but were subsequently disqualified because their keeper had a yellow card from another AFC CL match playing for another club before his transfer to Sepahan in the middle of the AFC CL season. The same happened to our U23 team, which had defeated Iraq in a match but saw the result overturned and replaced with a 3:0 loss due to a confusion regarding whether one of its late substitutes (who came into the match around the 80th mark and had no impact in the result) had 2 yellow cards.

The point is that if Bougherra indeed had 2 yellow cards, regardless of whether he was the goal scorer or not, the result will be overturned and the match will be declared 3:0 in favor of Burkina Faso. On the other hand, if had not been shown a yellow card, regardless of whether he should have been shown one or not, I don't think there is any remedy that affects the result. I don't even a rematch would be warranted.

Bosnian Diamond and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  19. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read an article. The ref for the first leg said the information on the FIFA website is correct (Madjid Bougherra wasn't carded) and that he did not card any player in the tunnel or after match.... etc. so unless someone watched the game and flat out remembers that he was carded, I doubt anything will come of this.

The only thing I could see is if some foul occured by Madjid Bougherra and the wrong player was put in the book, I could see FIFA actually put forth a replay of the game.

Also a replay because of bad referreeing isn't unprecidented, didn't it happen in the AFC 5th place game last cycle?

20. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Oh snappppppppppp! I didnt not know that! All along I thought they were just bitching about the ref & the "no-red" decision!.. FIFA's website only shows the card against Mali though. I've gone through all of Algeria's games since the group stages & he only has 1 booking, which is the one against Mali. I suppose I can find a video of the BF game (Algeria away) to see if he got a booking; but if that is the case & the ref just missed to put it on his report... what happens?

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    According to the FBF - Bougherra received a yellow during the Burkina Faso - Algeria game that for some reason wasn't recorded as official after the game.

According to Bougherra himself the players are mistaken and the yellow card was given to someone else, but they may have been confused because Bougherra was talking to the referee when he showed the card.

Sikazwe, the referee for the game, says everything is in order.

I guess this can be easily solved by rewatching the game and pinpointing the situation in question.

Here is the game:

And here are the yellows shown - I watched those moments and the only thing I can say is that the yellows were shown to the right people:
    (7') Djamel MESBAH [​IMG]
    (42') Essaid BELKALEM [​IMG]
    (65') Adlane GUEDIOURA [​IMG]

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Based on what Zahzah posted, it doesn't seem Burkina Faso will go anywhere with their complaint.

23. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Well, I watched those incidents and didn't see the ref wield the yellow card at all, the footage was busy showing replays of the fouls. Clearly those were the perps who needed booking, but I couldn't tell from the images whether they actually did. Bougherra could easily have talked himself into a yellow card during any of those incidents or some other time, without the video showing it.

I'm not saying that he did, just that the coverage is a bit crap.

zahzah repped this.
  24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    My sentiments exactly.

25. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but the ref has said that the info on the fifa website is correct, which means he didn't give another yellow.