Which team should I go see in November?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Billy South Philly, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me set the ground rules here. I will not support a big club like Bayern or Dortmund for philosophical reasons. I must admit I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to the Bundesliga since US exposure is not very expansive. I will be taking my wife and family to Germany for wife's 40th birthday in November. I took my wife for her 30th to Rhine Valley/Neckar/Mosel region. She loved it and we had a great time. Plus the xmas markets were in full swing which brought extra fun. We plan on spreading out further in Germany and going to Bavaria, Baden-Wurtemburg, and Fairytale Road. Anyway, my oldest daughter and I like going to sporting events, which is one of our bonding times. She and I went to West Ham United last season in London. Great times and great atmosphere. She is always talking about the bubbles. There are a couple teams that have been on my radar. Mostly, I am familiar with Werder Bremen due to Mesut Ozil's genius and their propensity to attack at all times (which I totally love, despite causing problems for defense). Bayer Leverkusen seems to be interesting, but seems like Germans hate that team because they bought their way in with Aspirin money. Hannover 96 seems like a carbon copy of Werder's attack. Schalke is a big club, but they seem to underachieve big time. What about SC Freiburg or have they been gutted already with their recent success? So my question to you, putting your own allegiance aside, is which game should my daughter and I attend that will provide a lasting impression of quality attacking soccer, great atmosphere, and good attitudes?

2. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want great atmosphere, Kaiserslautern. I can connect you to some people if you want.

Billy South Philly repped this.
  3. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The famous Betzenberg......

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you're in bavaria and you want to see Allianz Arena, go for 1860 Munich. Long and famous tradition, the working class club of Munich, great atmosphere(25.000 draws Bundesliga crowds) and a fan friendship with West Ham since the 60ies. We always have some Amis players around. At this time: Bobby Wood.

But Freiburg or Lautern are okay too. Stay away from Frankfurt or Dresden.

5. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is wrong with Eintracht Frankfurt? Just curious.

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Their fans are the west's version of Dresden. You can go there if you want the 80/90ies footy experience.

But it's no place Id advise you to go with you daughter. Or your family.

Zak1FCK repped this.
  7. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, those days are quite something that I really don't want my daughter to experience. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are going to "Bavaria, Baden-Wurtemburg, and Fairytale Road" then the clubs in that relative area (I don't know what Fairytale Road is though so this is really clubs in Bavaria/Baden):

VFB Stuttgart: Big (60k), recently remodeled stadium in a cool city. Fans are a bit fair weather for the Bundesliga. However, even if VFB having a bad season and playing a small team there will be 40k+.
    TSG Hoffenheim: New stadium in a bunch of fields. Currently, the most "plastic" of the plastic clubs. They could have a good season next year under Gisdol and will play attractive football. Not the most atmospheric of fans. 30k arena, typically they get 25k or so.
    Kaiserslautern: Traditional, classic club with fantastic fans. Will be in 2nd division but still get a lot of fans and good atmosphere.
    Freiburg: Would be a bit out of way in Black Forest. Beautiful area. Always sell out in their small stadium 24k. Looking to expand to a new arena with increased capacity. Entire squad has been gutted this summer sadly. Trust Streich to find a way to pull a rabbit out his ass next season though.
    Bayern: Meh....as you said don't go there. Bunch of snobs and tools :)
    Nurnberg: One of the last bigger clubs with a running track in the stadium. To me this kills the atmosphere because fans are farther from pitch. Passionate fans, typically not a sell out unless its Bayern, Dortmund or Schalke.

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    As long as you don't stand directly with the Ultras all German stadia are safe for children. There are many kids attending games in Frankfurt and Dresden and I have yet to hear about any getting injured. I would think that loud fan-bases would be especially fascinating for kids.
    When I was young I always insisted to sit/stand close to the "Fankurve".

Schoppe23 and Alex_K repped this.
  10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Indeed. From a safety point of view there is pretty much no difference between which Bundesliga game you go to. I wouldn't exactly advise people to stand in the hardcore supporter's section wearing a kit of the rival team, but if you have a seat on the main stand, there shouldn't be much difference between Frankfurt or Kaiserslautern or whatever.

And I did the same when I saw my first matches as a kid - back then when you could experience that 80s/90s atmosphere anywhere (because it was the 90s and all, I mean). A rock concert is more dangerous.

Doc_Aeppler and Billy South Philly repped this.
  11. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    In Baden-Würthemberg the only club to be avoided is Hoffenheim unless you like rich mans playtoys.

12. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are some good tourist spots to visit with kids? I have the following:
    Xmas markets in various towns
    Europa Park
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    Dom in Koln
    Heidelberg Schloss

I would appreciate further suggestions as well as cafes/ restaurant/ eateries we must visit. Thanks in advance.

13. ZimbabweBob

ZimbabweBob Member+

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will you be driving or taking the train?

14. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both. I will drive in the smaller cities and towns, but take the train into the larger cities.

15. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    The 80s are long gone. There are family-sections in Frankfurt and Dresden like in any other stadium and there a lots of familys and kids around the stadium. this guy probably hasnt seen any of these stadiums from the inside... :rolleyes:

From my personal experience I can say that ALL german stadiums are extremely safe and comfortable places to go see a game. As long as you're not planning to stand in the terrace in the middle of the ultras-sections at a major derby, you and your daughter will definitely have a safe experience... and even there I have seen kids in between and it was never a problem.

So if its all about good football: I would suggest you wait until the season starts and then see which team has a good start. Because right now it seems that many teams of the Bundesliga can play attractive footy when they are on form... :)

Billy South Philly and F96 repped this.
  16. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    If your are travelling with kids to Köln, you can make a trip to another theme park: http://www.phantasialand.de/en/home
    You can also make a trip to the Xmas market in Aachen:
    http://www.aachenweihnachtsmarkt.de/index.php
    And in the region Mittelrhein (in the south of Köln, between Bonn and Koblenz) you can find a lot of castles and you can taste some wine: http://www.mittelrhein-wein.com/weinland/index-engl.html
    If you prefer beer you can try local specialies like Bönnsch (in Bonn: http://www.boennsch.de/), various sorts of Kölsch (in Köln) and Altbier in Düsseldorf. But don't make the mistake and order one of them in any of the other cities. Especially not Kölsch in Düsseldorf and vise versa Alt in Köln. ;-)

Lamprey and Billy South Philly repped this.
  17. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I would suggest you visit Millerntor Stadion, the home of FC St. Pauli, possibly the world's most democratic professional sports team. You will find no better atmosphere in all of Germany. Despite being in 2. Bundesliga, the stadium is usually filled to capacity. Interestingly, the VIP section (if you can get in there) features a "sausage train" that brings supporters fresh sausages during matches:
    [​IMG]

Furthermore the St. Pauli quarter of Hamburg has a long tradition as a recreation and amusement center. The whole family will enjoy the Hamburger Dom, which hosts the Winterdom fair around the time you will be visiting, and there is a host of other attractions in the area for all ages.