Which team is Concacaf's Sleeping Giant?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by waltlantz, Jul 19, 2018.

1. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    CONCACF's sleeping giant.? It would be a team from California.

2. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing's for sure: US Soccer is going to remain permanently asleep.

3. Kingston-King

Kingston-King Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    #53 Kingston-King, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    What you say is incorrect. The team that played against Sparta at that time were only local Surinamese players.They had not yet regulated their legislation.I also followed them.

Players like Diego Biseswar, Ryan Donk, Kelvin Leerdam, Miquel Nelom, Florian Josefzoon, Nigel Hasselbaink and Tjaronn Chery,
    they all play in the highest divisions in European / Turkish competitions and these players will soon appear on the scene.
    These guys will make it extremely difficult for the entire Concacaf region.

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For me it is Jamaica at least right now

andregunts repped this.
  5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Why I say it is Jamaica:

They haven't been to a FIFA World Cup since France 1998 and not to mention the past few Gold Cups they have either made the Final or Semi Final or Quarter Final...I would call that a pretty good run. Their players are playing abroad most of them and now they have their superstar, Leon Bailey who can become the new face the new poster boy of Jamaican football especially now that he is playing for Jamaica

Their goalkeeper Blake is pretty good

andregunts repped this.
  6. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I'd agree it could be Jamaica, or even T&T, if either team played better at home. In the 2018 WCQ, Jamaica lost at home to Nicaragua in the knockout stage and in the group stage they finished with one point from three home games. In the 2014 WCQ, they finished with 3 points from five home games in the Hex. T&T has also come up short at home in big games, the greatest example being the 1990 WCQ against the US when all they needed was a tie and probably had the better team. When these teams have defended home-field advantage, they've qualified for the World Cup. In the 1998 WCQ, 11 out of Jamaica's 14 points in the Hex came at home; in the 2006 WCQ, 10 out of T&T's 13 points came at home. Caribbean teams aren't as feared at home and can't seem to consistently make home-field advantage count the same way that Central American teams do. I don't know if that's because of the heat and humidity of Central America, the altitude in some areas, the rowdy fans, or the way the stadiums are designed. Jamaica and T&T both have tracks around their main stadiums so that blunts the effect of atmosphere and noise and lessens the fan impact.

Ofori repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    However, what gives Jamaica more of an edge over Trinidad and Tobago as far as being a sleeping giant: Jamaica have more players playing either in Europe or playing in the MLS, but also their goalkeeper Blake is a better goalkeeper than T & T's goalkeeper.

There is also a new poster boy of Jamaican football: Leon Bailey of Bayern Leverkeusen

andregunts repped this.
  8. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For me 2022 it is basically USA, Mexico and Costa Rica who will qualify directly as 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Now for that 4th place playoff spot it is pretty much between Honduras, Panama, Canada, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and Haiti for that 4th spot because any one of those teams could end up in 4th and go to the intercontinental playoff realistically

10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But at the same time we also cannot forget about Canada either as a sleeping giant. Canada is going through a golden generation of talent right now in their national team program but also Canada has not been to a FIFA World Cup since 1986 and they are also set to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup with USA and Mexico. At this rate, Canada is starting to pour out more talent who could potentially be world class such as Davies, David, etc

Plus they have the CPL now

andregunts repped this.
  11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really, sincerely hope that remains the case...any word on the league's current solvency?

slaminsams repped this.
  12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    It seems the league is moving in the right direction

13. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed. It's meant to showcase Canadian players so they can move on to better leagues. In the first year, it sent three Canadians to better leagues in Europe and one to South America. Three Canadians who represent other nations to other leagues. Brought 16 Canadians home from foreign leagues to make a living playing soccer in their own country, and had a player make the step up to MLS.

Forge FC won a round in continental competition.

Pretty damn good showing for it's first year.

slaminsams repped this.
  14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't forget upsetting an MLS team in the Voyageurs' Cup either :D

I would just hate for the CanPL to go the way of the XFL.

Ofori repped this.
  15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    That is also a possibility too

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very unlikely

Valour lost only $211k in their inaugural year while teams like Montreal impact loses millions every year.

Halifax, Forge and Cavalry most likely turned a profit.

FC Edmonton, York and Pacific likely lost money but I doubt it's drastically more than Valour.

The teams have very rich owners backing them as I doubt a club like Atletico would bother investing if the other owners weren't serious.

The league will be fine

slaminsams repped this.
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But if Canada also was a sleeping giant they would be winning Gold Cups which they haven't done yet. Yeah sure they have made quarters but not even a semi final with this new golden generation of players. But we will see what kind of a sleeping giant they turn out to be once they go far or win a Gold Cup or even qualify for the FIFA World Cup.

18. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

But isn’t that the point they are a sleeping giant not yet shining like Jamaica. The argument might be that Jamaica has put together impressive runs lately in the gold cup but the thing about Canada is players like Davies and David are very young. They also have this brand new league so we will likely see big things from them in the next few years. It also helps that the president of CONCACAF is Canadian he saved them from missing out on World Cup qualifying. They also already qualified for the 2026 World Cup which will line up nicely with the emerging of a golden generation

Ofori repped this.
  19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I guess but Canada is taking a step in the right direction but I'm still kind of skeptical

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also you keep hyping all these nations but only 3 won it...so

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah that was with an old generation of Canadian players...I am talking about this current, new guard of Canadian players this new generation not the old, this new generation who has won nothing much less qualified for any World Cups hell they haven't even won a Gold Cup or come close to one since 2000

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Davies started in 2017 Gold Cup under Zambrano and a very incomplete team

2019 is when David started at the Gold Cup under the Herdman era.

2021 might be a more appropriate time to judge this new generation, no?

calabrese8 repped this.
  23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the new boys have until 2026 - if they haven't won a Concacaf title (Gold Cup/Nations League) by then, or qualified for Qatar 2022, only then would I entertain calling them a bust.

24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yes they have until 2026 but they haven't done much or enough to inspire confidence but that is just my opinion anyway. Canada though as hosts in 2026 if we are given automatic qualification which I see no reason why we shouldn't, Canada is not going to be taking part in qualifying which means they will have more than enough time to prepare for the 2026 FIFA World Cup as hosts. In the build up Canada is going to no doubt be playing a lot of friendly matches and the thing about being a host nation is when you become a host, the other potential countries who do qualify in 2026 are going to want to face Canada in friendlies.