Which New Players?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by vjle, Nov 13, 2018.

1. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ok, now that we see the new coaching staff, let's speculate on which new players will be brought in. I'm going way out on a limb in predicting that we will see Mexicans and/or South Americans.

Antonio2020, mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to expand on that and add Central Americans. They have a decent track record in MLS and they are affordable, and we might be on a budget, depending on who we can jettison.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I want is good/great players. Don't care where they are from (although I would prefer US with the hope that MLS will help improve our USMNT). We have good players in the past from Central, South America, Europe and bad players from each region. Sure, there are cost reasons for targeting certain regions, but we have to fight Europe and other MLS Teams for the same resources. The good news is that our current coaching staff should hopefully be better in targeting Central and South America.

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas castoffs that the coaches like but were not Mexican.

Beerking repped this.
  5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think those exist.

Beckham7 and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  6. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you're not Mexican you don't play for Chivas.

Beckham7 repped this.
  7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D:D But we just got rid of a Uruguayan...

Seems like we will HAVE to end up with a clone of Diego Valeri or Urruti, right? At least 3-4 Argentinians, right? Actually, are all the new coaches Argentinian?

8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus why they are castoffs.

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And also, if these guys are taking over responsibility for the academy, then I assume most of the current academy coaches will be leaving too (I don’t know who or how many academy coaches there are) and that the academy will recruit largely Spanish-speaking players.

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and probably Brazilians are out, right? Maybe Peruvians too

11. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought you could only be a "castoff" if you were actually on the team? Not someone who was never even considered for the team.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup... Houston Dynamo are dead last in team salary, but they manage to find talented players in Central America (Alberth Elis, Romell Quioto) as well as South America (Manotas, Cabezas).

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did it say they are taking over responsibility of the academy? If they are indeed Almeyda's assistants they may not have any day in and day out involvement, but, rather may just be reorganizing and overseeing what is already in place.

SalinasQuakesFan and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven’t the Quakes said that the new staff’s goal is to bridge better the academy, Reno, and the first team? This is not a huge bureaucracy (yet). They are not putting a new tier of coaches between the different groups. They have to be replacing some of them; i would guess the oldest youth group and the youngest youth group.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you just list two random Argentinians? They play two different positions, and do so very differently. And one is MVP caliber and a club legend, whereas the other makes coaches tear their hair out until they trade him to another MLS team.

Venceremos repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that the new regime will have a pro-Spanish speaking bias. These guys are smart. They know that much of the team will necessarily be composed of USians. They are going to find the best talent they can, within the strictures of MLS rules. So most of the team will be US dudes, most of the academy will be local kids (and yeah, some of those kids speak Spanish). But they sure as hell won't overlook a player because he only speaks English or Portuguese. (The Peruvians speak Spanish too, just with more of a Castillian accent.)

I'm not sure that Almeyda is going to ditch Vako and Kashia. I hope that he does, because I think that Vako does not produce at a level comensurate with his wages, and I think that Kashia just isn't good enough and is only here to make Vako feel good.

I want to see Central and South Americans because I like that style of play, but I don't care if we sign guys from Eastern Europe or East Asia. As long as we bring in good players, they can come from anywhere. The thing with looking in the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, is that we'll have to pay a premium for those players, and we will likely only get dudes that are looking at retirement. But we may find some gems there too. We need to look in more places than we have previously.

In any case, I am eager to see what Matías and friends create.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

davez repped this.
  18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Listening to Omar Zarif and Benjamin Galindo, it is evident that we don't just get Matias, but we get a full Matias-led coaching "package", all on the same page and sharing a plan and vision for the Earthquakes project. As Galindo said, they see the Quakes as a "serious" team and Front Office.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    @markmcf8 - Almeyda can’t simply ‘ditch’ Vako unless Vako decides he wants to split, because I think I can pretty much guarantee that Fisher isn’t going to just eat the salary of his highest-paid player. That sure hasn’t been the case for the A’s!

markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  20. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are ways to make players want to leave and give up on their reminding contracts for the sake of their careers. Getting paid for sitting on the bench or in the stands sounds convenient, but most players prefer to play so they keep their short careers active and their market value high.

In MLS players are always paid on time and being treated nicely, but in those parts of the world where our new coaches are coming from as well as in other parts of the world, outcasting a player and making his life miserable until he agrees to leave is pretty common. My guess is that Vako will be replaced with a Hispanic player. He does not like to run and does not speak Spanish. Almeyda will push him away.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    People were saying he wouldn't eat a coach's salary either, and he's done it twice, and he did it with Dawkins' salary, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they cut Vako loose. Of course, Vako has been about 1000x better than Dawkins was, so I'm not sure it would be wise to get rid of him just yet, either.

If the Quakes are going to buyout a player contract, it should be Eriksson's, anyway. I'd take Vako over Eriksson every single day of week.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe the Quakes buy-out Eriksson and trade Vako?

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  23. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Vako is by far the most technically gifted player on the roster. If you're going to replace his skill level then it will most likely have to be another highly paid DP...a lateral move. I would rather invest the money that would cost to eat up his contract into other positions to improve the team around him as that would help the team much more and maybe even light a fire under his a** to improve his work rate.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree Vako is the most technically talented. I am dubious that the new coach will believe he can improve his work rate or will want him on the roster, however.

If the new coach keeps him and can consistently get the same team-first effort out of Vako that he will get out of Wondo then he will indeed be a miracle worker.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    By the way, was Vako hurt for the Quakes' season finale? He did not play, something I don't recall anyone commenting upon.