Which Martial Art Should I Take?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by USvsIRELAND, Apr 20, 2008.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I have these choices:

Aikido
    Hapkido
    Jiukido Jujitsu
    Shao-lin Kung Fu and Tai Chi
    Shorin-Ryu Karate
    Taido
    Taekwondo
    Ying Hung Gwoon

Right now I would have to say that I am most interested in Taekwondo or Karate.

Background: I was very athletic in HS, playing several sports. Got kinda fat in college and looking to learn a contact martial art this summer before I study abroad in the fall.

I'm not looking for the martial art that is solely most cardiovascular because I will be working out, playing soccer, etc. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but any recommendations will be happily received.

2. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    BJJ it's a lot of fun and it get's you into terrific shape. Plus it is fun to choke out your opponent with his or your Gi.

3. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Aikido is just plain useless and tai chi is mostly just meditative movement. Jiujitsu is the way to go I would think. Karate/taekwondo and kung fu are similar to each other, except taekwondo is a bit more high flying.

The best thing to do is visit the gyms in your area and see for your self which stlye would suit you best.

4. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've studied in Shorin-Ryu Karate and Aikido and really enjoyed both, though I would recommend Aikido, as it's more than just a martial art.

At its root, it's very spiritual and can put you in touch with the energy inside of you - call it what you will; Chi or Ki or Zen or The Force. :D

I really don't know enough of the other Martial Arts to really give a recommendation on them, but any good school/dojo should at least let you watch a class to help give you an idea of what it will be like.

I'm currently training in Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and recommend both wholeheartedly - they weren't options on the list, but I just wanted to throw that out there. :D

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I recommend the Scottish martial art of Fuh Ku.

[​IMG]

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    As others have said, the best way is to visit a bunch of places. I'd look a bit at each style and evaluate them based upon a variety of factors, such as: how they match up with your physical abilities, their aestetic/meditative value, street value, all measured against what is available in your area and price.

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only speak for tae kwon do since that's what I took. I guess it also depends what you're looking for. The school I went to is really simple and easy. There wasn't much of a challenge. There were the basic classes and then seperate sparring and board-breaking classes. If you want more of a hardcore style, look around for the different kinds of classes. I find the ones that cater to a lot of children aren't as challenging, despite having adult classes.

We had a kid who came from Korea and earned his black belt over there. The black belts at our school (myself included) couldn't even compare to the skill this kid had. He was more disciplined and technically on a different level. I mean this kid could really fly.

But really, it depends on what you're looking for. Like the ones Bison reommended, they're much more physical. Tae kwon do's purpose isn't to teach you how to fight so there isn't so much emphasis on sparring. So check out the different schools in your area and see if they'll let you watch a class or some will even let you take a trial class.

8. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I just visited my son at his BJJ school.

I found his instructors and other students as a whole to be really nice people.

One of the Gracies was there as well a nice guy and a good sense of humor he is currently training with Renzo Gracie.

I was a little suprrised when I saw everyone cover themselves in this white stuff before they would even set foot on the mat,

It is reduce the chance of something catchy being spread to the other students my son told me.

To me that was a big turnoff. What? I want to catch something from these people? I would rather shoot them then fight them if I had the choice.

9. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Ground 'fighting I would take No Gui BJJ
    for Striking I would do Muay Thai
    I did both and loved them both and was able to incorporate fairly fast to true mma.

10. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    "For Ground 'fighting I would take No Gui BJJ"

Can't you do both?

What I like about Gi is you can use your and his to choke him out. I like it mostly because it is legal and looks like it should have been made illegal.

You fight on the street you are wearing clothes right use it

11. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you can do both, though I was taught strictly no Gui so that is what I prefer. Aren't guis thicker than say a t-shirt?

12. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Sure but guys like to wear a lot of jewelry now like women. Choke them out with their gold chain :)

When I was coaching my last adult soccer team these guys would say hold this. I would be left with pockets full of jewelry until I put a stop to it.

I told them leave it with me it becomes mine and I will sell it and keep the money. That ended that. :)

Even long hair can be used in a street fight.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    You're right. I love MMA competitions, but one mistaken belief they have led to is that the martial arts that are useful in those competitions are "better" than some others. I think many people don't realize how many techniques aren't allowed or aren't feasible in the ring, but are fantastic for the street.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    So which martial art is most useful for the street? in your guys opinion?

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    In my opinion, it depends mainly on what you have a natural propensity for. Personally, I'm tend towards grappling and small joint manipulation, but I have friends who are excellent martial artists in other areas that can't seem to grasp joint manipulation. Also, it depends on the training level, i.e. something like TaeKwonDo can be very useful if you're good enough and especially against multiple opponents, but more than likely it's just going to get your ass kicked. For most people, I'd say something like Krav Maga is going to be the most useful--the dirtiest fighter is going to win the most in the street. Kenpo I think is pretty effective too.

16. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That stuff was likely to prevent staph infections, which are no joke. They can easily be spread on mats that a lot of people use - there's no such thing as being too careful in this regard.

17. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    It just caught me by surprise when I saw all of them use this stuff before going on the mat.
    ----------------
    When I was a kid they did not do this stuff. They had Karate and Judo but that is all I ever seen. No one used it on the street I guess mostly reason was not many people knew it back then..

You can believe this or not. I was walking on the street in Harlem that is where I was from. Some idiot was walking on the street with one arm straight out to his side. I was not going to walk around him so before I got to him I said move your arm. He didn't so we began to fight. That was okay with me. Then he grabs my arm and throws me over his shoulder to the ground a judo throw. Then I got up and shot him and I left. So Judo did not help him.

How good is this stuff in the street?

If a guy has a gun and does not think twice about using and is about 10 feet away. I don't care what you know your in trouble.
    --------------------
    My son was attacked by a car full of gang members. He happened to be with someone who they were after. That guy ran my son didn't. This was before he took BJJ. But he could fight he hit's you he could hurt you.

They had a baseball bat and long screw drivers he had nothing. There were five of them. Good news he was able to get away. Bad news his arm was broke just below the elbow from blocking a shot with the bat, and he was stabbed with the scew drivers twice. Good news it was winter time and he had a heavy coat on so the stab wounds were not deep.

If they would have fought him now I am not sure how he would do? He might not have tried to run, and you want them close with BJJ.

I would want them as far away from me as possible if it was me.

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    There is some real truth there--the most secure I've ever felt was when I was a very fast runner.