Which is Better Summer or Winter Olympics?

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by ECUNCHATER, Feb 16, 2010.

?

Which is Better?

1. Summer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Winter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You're kind of missing the point. A sporting spectacle involves far more than a simple engrossing finish.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I didn't say it doesn't. The whole race today was great, nailbiting, athlete-against-athlete stuff. The Beijing 100m on the other hand wasn't even a contest.

The only thing that interested me mildly in 2008 was whether a new world mark would be set, and given how juiced everyone is these days even that's pretty meaningless.

3. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Your fingernails must be gone after watching those guys for 30 f***ing kilometers :D

Too each his own I guess :)

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    When I watch a sporting competition I want to see a contest, that's all. It's not about records or hype or glamour or endorsements, its about the battle between individuals or teams.

The better the contest, the better the spectacle. Bolt jogging across the finish line was an impressive display of prowess (or will be as long as he never gets done as a drug cheat) but it was a total snoozefest as far as competition goes. After the semis everyone knew he could phone it in if he wanted to.

5. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The lack of a contest can be a great contest in itself. Do you no enjoy the occasional blow-out in soccer? Barca beating Real Madrid 6-2 last year was memorable and a great spectacle even though it wasn't a contest per se :p

6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It makes for a good highlights reel, and it can be sweet if you're a supporter of the winning team. but I don't really rate it that much on the excitement meter. Not saying it's never enjoyable, but give me a close contest over a blowout any day.

If someone asks me in 30 years what was most memorable about the Beijing Olympics, it'll be things like the Mens' 4x100m freestyle relay final, or Matthew Mitcham coming out of nowhere to deny the hosts a clean sweep in the diving. The 100m sprint final might have been more hyped, but the actual event can't hold a candle to either of those others.

7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The 100 meter dash is too fast to be a snoozefest ;)

8. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I will say I enjoyed watching the games today, but NBC has crappy coverage. They had an extended live interview in the morning with the guy who won the gold in figure skating. Then they showed most events in tape delay while showing very little bobsledding. They also managed to add in more stupid interviews tonight. I don't care about the Royal Mounted Guard!:mad: I want live events and more bobsledding.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why do you hate ECU? They're not even an ACC program. They live to beat ACC programs. They tell their grandkids about that win over Duke when Coach K was sick and the nets were seven feet off the ground, yada.

I prefer the Summer Games because more of the sports I care about (football, basketball, tennis, golf, swimming, the sprint events in track and field) are part of those Games. As far as the Winter Games go, it's hockey, downhill and women's figure skating when there's a particularly fine woman in the competition. Gymnastics took a big negative hit with me once I grew up and the girls started looking more like children to me. The addition of some X-Games to the Winter events has helped a LOT, tho. I'd like to see more skateboarding added to the Summer Games, too. I don't know how you'd do that without the subjectivity of judging, tho.

10. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I know this is a soccer website, but when it comes to ECU we don't get along with them. They are UNC #2 in baseball and football. We also used to play them in men's soccer till they dispanded the program. ecunchater was also my first e-mail address.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    nobody really jumps out from what I've seen so far. Kiira Korpi looks good, maybe Sarah Meier but I doubt they are contenders. Better off watching curling if you want to see fine women in these Games. :D

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Tanith Belbin is gorgeous.

13. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a huge fan of the season I prefer the Winter games over the Summer.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, after seeing the women's short program skate I stand by this statement. The native-indian looking finish girl was cute but that's about it. The American is hideous! :eek:

15. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like all Olympics, but prefer summer. Track and field, swimming, gymnastics, these are the core Olympic sports.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The summer olympics are a much bigger event but I think the winter olympics has more of that olympic spirit. There are a lot of true amateurs in it, a lot of medal winners even are people who've battled away their entire mature lives on a minimum wage and training in complete obscurity for most of said lives. In short it's less cynical than the summer olympics, similar to the fact that the Europa League is less cynical than the Champions League.

17. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Let's not start this up ;)

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't mean to offend anyone! To me it's the perfect analogy though. In the winter olympics, similar to the Europa League, the chances of outsiders winning a medal are small yet so much bigger still than at the summer olympics.

19. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I prefer a bigger stage and higher level of competition.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's not a great analogy though. It suggests somehow that the summer olympic athletes are superior. They're not.

21. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no. i read it. but it wasn't quite so helpful as my post.

sorry.

22. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only a Nederlander would make this argument. :)

have the Dutch won an Olympic medal in Athletics ( track and field ) since 1952?

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The winter games! In general, they involve lots of speed events--and lots of speed! More fun! But I am biased since I grew up competitively skiing and love winter weather over summer weather. :)

The fastest man on two boards will always be faster than the fastest man on two feet. :p

24. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Winter Olympics has more extreme events. Quality > Quantity all thanks to mother nature.