Which game to attend

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, Oct 5, 2016.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All:
    I need your great wisdom. I am heading over the Switzerland in November and want to catch a match. Here are the possible matches to watch.
    I will be staying in Geneve, but I will have a train pass, so that is fine. I do need to get back to Geneva that night, so the Basel match is not really an option as it is not possible to get back until 2am. I will be in Bern during the day so travel to the match will be fine in any direction.

19 Nov

16:00 Breitenrain – Sion II

16:30 Stade Nyonnais – SC YF Juventus Zurich

17:30 La Chaux-de-Fonds – Bavois

17:45 GRASSHOPPER CLUB ZÜRICH – FC THUN

17:45 FC WOHLEN – FC WINTERTHUR

19:00 NEUCHÂTEL XAMAX FCS – FC CHIASSO

20:00 FC BASEL 1893 – FC VADUZ

I am also going to try very hard to get to the FCZ - Villareal Europa League match.

So in your great all-knowing wisdom, which match should I attend. I have been to La Maladiere in Neuchatel, but for a Biel match, not Xamax. Anything else will be a new stadium for me.

2. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Grasshopper-Thun or Basel-Vaduz.

3. Arrows

Arrows Member

Vitoria SC/Belenenses/Aarau
    Portugal
    Oct 29, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Xamax v Chiasso.... love that stadium!

4. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Wish I had seen this sooner. Each of these is a challenge.

Nyon/SC YF should be a decent game, but if I could only see one game, I don't know if I'd make it a Promotion League game.

GCZ/Thun would be a great game to watch if the match were in Thun. Stockhorn Arena is a great little stadium that has an amazing view of the mountains as you walk into it. GCZ is drawing poorly, and the Letzigrund is huge, but feels so empty. Also, you are FAR from the pitch no matter where you sit because of the running track. You'll feel like you would've made a better investment watching on TV. Good thing about the stadium is that it's easy to get in and out of, and then you can catch the tram right outside the stadium to take you back to Zurich Hauptbanhof. Outside of Rheinpark Stadion, I've been to the Letzigrund the most in all of my Swiss trips, mostly because of its proximity to Zug and the fact that I saw a couple of Europa League matches there. Plus, if you're going to try to get there for the FCZ/Villareal match, there's no need to see this twice.

Wohlen's stadium is disappointing with very little atmosphere. Only go if it's a last resort.

You've already been to Le Maladiere, so there's no need to go again. If you hadn't been there, I'd have recommended this match because it's going to be an entertaining fixture, and the stadium is one of my favorites. Also, Neuchatel is one of my favorite cities.

My choice would be to see Basel/Vaduz. First, St. Jakob Park is a wonderful place to watch a match. Really not a bad seat anywhere. You're going to get the best atmosphere of any Swiss stadium in Basel, especially if they get someone they know they can beat. My recommendation is to get a seat in the curva opposite the Basel supporters because the prices are more reasonable to sit 6 rows from the field than to sit midfield in the third tier. Also, being that close, you can watch Basel's attack work up close for at least one half. I got a ton of great pictures when I saw their match against Sion. Also, since it's Vaduz, there won't be any craziness before/during/after the match. You might be getting back to Geneva at 2 am, but the experience will be worth it when you're drinking that extra cup of espresso.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the thoughts. If I had a car, it would have been possible to hit
    16:00 Breitenrain – Sion II as well as either
    19:00 Xamax – FC Chiasso
    20:00 FC Basel – FC Vaduz

But as I am on trains that will not be possible.

I think that I am going to avoid the GCZ as I will be at FCZ-Villareal in Thursday. I like Xamax's stadium, but I was there for a Biel-Locarno match and all of that red made my head spin a little bit.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry - all of the last min planning for the trip, lots of student issues. Here is/was the plan.
    15 Nov - Swiss - Italy U20 match at Stade de Colovery in Nyon.
    16 Nov - FC Perly-Certoux vs FC Vallorbe-Ballaigues 2nd Interregional League Cup qualifying Round. I missed this match, I found out about it too late.
    19 Nov FC Breitenrain vs Sion II and Xamax vs Chiasso
    20 Nov Servette vs FCZ is what it looks like, but I will be in Yverdon in the morning. If I can not get away from my obligations, I might just catch the Le Mont vs Wil match in Baulmes.
    21 Nov - we are going to Belgium for the day so I will miss the Schaffhausen vs Aarau.
    24 Nov - I am still trying to get tickets for the FCZ-Villareal match.

The schedule did not work out great this time, but the U20 match was a bonus.
    I hit the U20 Swiss-Italy match on Tuesday evening in Nyon. Nice little stadium. Switzerland played well for about 60 min, then their central defender injured himself and was pulled, their central midfielder who plays for FCZ and was the best player on the team was subbed out right after that. From that point on, it was mostly Italy. Granted, I had a lot of jet-lag at that point and I could have slept through the match.
    I almost went to a 2nd Interregional Cup Qualifier on Wednesday, but it was on the opposite side of Geneve, and I only found out about it about 50 min before kickoff. I think that tomorrow I will see two matches a Promotion League match in Bern, then the Xamax match in Neuchatel. That way I can catch two matches.

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    19 November Match report
    FC Breitenrain vs Sion II 1-0
    The home team won the match. Their striker #19 was a fast and strong forward. The FC Sion II center defenders had trouble with him all afternoon. He drew a PK off a long ball where it was him vs 2 defenders and the GK. He had earlier beaten the trap twice and narrowly missed, once a great save by the Sion II keeper, the other a difficult shot that just went wide. Sion II could not put a cross into a dangerous area. It was obvious that they had more technical skill, more speed and more talent. They just were not really dangerous.

The stadium was small and sort of neat. Here are some photos. These are not mine, they now have what looks like the same fake stuff as Stade de Suisse just a few km away. The atmosphere was really neat. Thy had around 500 would be my guess, it was not just men, but families and old women. There was this one older woman who was very into the match. She had brought what must have been her granddaughter, possibly great-granddaughter to the match. There was also the really cocky kid who thought that he was so much better than all of the other kids his age (my guess around 10) and was also trying to impress a girl as they played on the touchline. It reminded me of a Friday Night High School Football game. It was obvious that this was a community team. Fun atmosphere. They even had a few young teen boys who were trying to act like Ultra's.

One other note, there was a great piece of refereeing tonight. The central defender for FC Bretienrain had just earned a Yellow Card, that he did not agree with. He protested loudly for about 5-8 seconds, then kicked the soccer ball away. Many times a referee pulls out a second yellow for dissent. I myself have done this in the past in High School matches. This referee recognized the situation and kept all 22 players on the field. Cutest moment of the match was a 2-3 year old girl chanting "Hopp Brei-ten-rain!"

Xamax vs Chiasso
    This game was one of a good team, and a not so good one. The Stade de la Maladiere is much better when there are actually people there. The last time I went, 4 years ago, FC Biel/Bienne was using the stadium as the Tissot Arena was being built. There were about 150 people in a 10,000+ seat stadium. The red was too much that night. Tonight, with around 2k would be my guess, it looked much better.
    Nuzzolo scored early, then Karlen came in as a sub around 55' and put the game away with two goals. I just looked at the stats and they were consistent with what my eyes saw 19 shots to 3. 9 on goal to 1. It was a dominating performance for Xamax, one which they needed to do over a weaker side.

KensingtonSC repped this.
  8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Servette - FCZ
    Over 6200 for the match, so there was a good atmosphere considering that 1/2 of the stadium was totally empty. The FCZ fans did well in their corner and the Servette ultras did well creating a good atmosphere. Servette played well for the first 50 min. Thy controlled the play for good stretches of those 50 min. In the other match I commented on how a good referee kept all 22 players on the field by keeping a second yellow card in his pocket. That did not happen today, now all that I will say next comes from a Servette fan, so I know that I am biased. In the 30' there was a PK for FCZ for a fault by Mfuyi. I know that often times these fouls are called because the defender got stuck and even if a foul was not committed, it looked like one was. I think this was a really bad call. In the 50' Anthony Sauthier earned a yellow card and he would not close his mouth and let the referee have an ear-full. This was a mistake on his part, he earned a 2nd yellow for what I could only imagine was dessent. After that, it was only a matter of time until FCZ really started to score. It was not a matter of when, but how many. They are too good to play down a man to. I was very impressed by their play. Now, Servette needed to learn a thing or two about composure.

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great atmosphere tonight at FCZ vs Villareal. The last 30 or so min were a little crazy, but lots of fun. For those who have not been to the Letzigrund, you are a long way from the field due to the track. It is one of the stadiums that I have been to where I felt that the experience was worse than being there.
    Villarreal is a good team. Anyone who says otherwise was not watching the same match. Pato should have scored off the terrible back pass to nobody. There were times in the first 20 min, that I thought that FCZ would get defeated by a large score. They righted themselves and as they gained some confidence, the fans really got behind them.

Fun week for me with a great group of students, and lots of soccer games.

IASocFan and KensingtonSC repped this.
  10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I sat with the ultras in the Sudkurve last year during Europa League qualifying since they only opened a few sections (It was a REALLY small crowd) and they are very passionate, and it's easy to get into the match. It was also my third match at the Letzigrund, and I really don't like the stadium. Just from the outside it doesn't feel friendly because of the walls that look like they're rusted surrounding it. Then when you get inside, you lose any views since they have the roof. Then you have the awful running track. It just sucks as a stadium.

A friend of mine on Twitter asked his followers what was their favorite and least favorite Swiss stadium. The favorites were all different, but everyone agreed that the Letzigrund is the worst stadium in Switzerland.

Glad you had fun, though!

11. Arrows

Arrows Member

Vitoria SC/Belenenses/Aarau
    Portugal
    Oct 29, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Speaking of stadiums. I met someone at a work conference last week who amazingly enough follows Swiss club football like I do. I am in the heart of Canada and while we do have loads of people that support Man United and the EPL and a fairly large German community who all appear to follow FC Bayern... I honestly thought I was the only one who supported Swiss club football not only in my province but maybe all of Canada as well (it really is lonely over here). Well I have met another who is quite an avid follower of get this Thun. Well long story sort of short he is going to Bern in the spring (for business) and is wating to watch Thun play at home. He wanted some insight on the Stockhorn in terms of getting to and from and how big the crowds get (told him shouldn't be an issue with tickets...I believe). Amenities at the stadium, etc. If anyone can help that would be great!

IASocFan repped this.
  12. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Stockhorn Arena is one of my favorite stadiums, so I can help out.

Take the train to Thun station and then either take the 2 or the 3 bus. The arena is in a complex with a shopping mall (Panorama Center), so it's not too hard to find. You will need to walk from the bus stop to the stadium, but there will be others on there going to the game, so just follow them. To get tickets (and, believe me, they'll be available on match day), you need to walk around to the other end of the stadium to purchase them, but making that walk is worth it because you're at the foot of the Eiger and the view is simply incredible.

[​IMG]

Tickets are somewhat reasonable depending on where you want to sit. Your cheapest tickets are on the ends, so you can sit in the South Block with the supporters, but there are other seats in that section that typically aren't occupied, so you don't feel like you have to join in with the rowdiness. Tickets on the sidelines are more expensive. Although fully square, the sections are quartered off, so if you sit in one block, you can't move to another.

There will be plenty of seats to be had. Thun is actually in a budget crunch right now, so they need as many seats filled as possible. The stadium holds 10,000, but they're only averaging half that. Games against YB and Basel sell better, but they still aren't sellouts.

Once inside the stadium, you can get food and drinks. Any drink you get you pay an extra CHF for and if you return the cup, you'll get the CHF back. The cups are pretty plain, so it's worth it to just return it. You can get a brat, bread, and beer for less than 10 CHF. They don't have concession stands, per se. It's more like a tent with some tables inside that you buy everything there. They do have merchandise for sale around the stadium if you want to buy a shirt or scarf.

Oberland Schwiizerdutsch is vastly different from regular German, but most people speak English at the stadium.

I wish I was going with him, but I hope he has a great time!

IASocFan and RobtheAggie repped this.
  13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I 2nd much of what has been said. I have always wanted to visit the Stockhorn Arena. Hopefully next trip. I do not that that there would be any sellouts in the Swiss Stadiums this season.