Which club should I support suggestions

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by FNU, Jul 15, 2009.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I recently started watching some SA football, and I'm looking for a club to follow and maybe even support. I narrowed it down to picking a club from Argentina because I don't have any ties anywhere else. Some relatives live in Mar del Plata is my link. I know they have a Div. B club, and maybe I'll follow them, but it isn't that easy. Any suggestions? thx

2. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires is very complex how fans grow up formulating their interest for their team. There's a 'feeling' that you are either Boca or River. That's not entirely true. Just because you have roots somewhere doesn't mean you should automatically qualify yourself to a club. I recommend following any club that isn't River or Boca.

3. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Welcome to the forum, FNU. Aerez is right, that is why you should root for the mighty Racing Club it has many similarities to Napoli, with it's loyal fans who haven't seen their team win a cup in many years :(

4. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    The club choses you!! Patience and a vision, a flag, colors, politics, ect shall lead you to your "final choice".

5. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Independiente!!

They have a player named Assmann... nuff said :D

6. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok.

7. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1. Racing club
    2. Independiente
    3. San Lorenzo
    4. Velez-Sarsfield
    These are "big clubs" of Buenos Aires besides Boca , River.. in Primera Division A

1. Huracan
    2. Lanus
    3. Argentinos Juniors
    4. Banfield
    5. Tigre
    6. Arsenal
    7. Chacarita
    These are the smaller clubs of Buenos Aires in Primera Division A

1. Estudiantes
    2. Gimnasia y Esgrima
    These are the two clubs of La Plata in Primera A

1. Rosario Central
    2. Newells Old Boys
    These are the two clubs of Rosario in Primera A

1. Godoy Cruz (Mendoza)
    2. Atletico Tucuman (Tucuman)
    3. Colon (Santa Fe)

8. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That club from Mar Del Plata you say is Aldosivi, they had good season on the beginning it looked like they had a very good shot on winning promotion but by the half of the season they began to fall and ended up being close, but still couldn't do it.

In reality from the first division: Boca, River, Argentinos, Huracán, San Lorenzo and Vélez are from the city of Buenos Aires, the others are from the province of Buenos Aires.

Here a list of the clubs from the 1st and 2nd division with their location.

1- Argentinos Juniors, Buenos Aires.
    2- Arsenal, Avellaneda(Buenos Aires).
    3- Atlético Tucumán, San Miguel de Tucumán(Tucumán).
    4- Banfield, Lomas de Zámora(Buenos Aires).
    5- Boca Juniors, Buenos Aires.
    6- Chacarita Juniors, San Martín(Buenos Aires).
    7- Colón, Santa Fe(Santa Fe).
    8- Estudiantes LP, La Plata(Buenos Aires).
    9- Godoy Cruz, Godoy Cruz(Mendoza).
    10- Gimnasia LP, La Plata(Buenos Aires)
    11- Huracán, Buenos Aires.
    12- Independiente, Avellaneda(Buenos Aires).
    13- Lanús, Lanús(Buenos Aires)
    14- Newell's Old Boys, Rosario(Santa Fe)
    15- Racing Club, Avellaneda(Buenos Aires)
    16- River Plate, Buenos Aires.
    17- Rosario Central, Rosario(Santa Fe)
    18- San Lorenzo, Buenos Aires.
    19- Tigre, San Fernando(Buenos Aires)
    20- Vélez Sarsfield, Buenos Aires.

In the second division.

1- Aldosivi, Mar Del Plata(Buenos Aires).
    2- All Boys, Buenos Aires.
    3- Atlético Rafaela, Rafaela(Santa Fe).
    4- Belgrano Cba., Cordoba(Cordoba).
    5- Boca Unidos, Corrientes(Corrientes).
    6- CAI, Comodoro Rivadavia(Chubut).
    7- Defensa y Justicia, Florencio Varela(Buenos Aires).
    8- Deportivo Merlo, Merlo(Buenos Aires).
    9- Ferro Carril Oeste, Buenos Aires.
    10- Gimnasia J, San Salvador de Jujuy(Jujuy).
    11- Independiente Rivadavia, Mendoza(Mendoza).
    12- Instituto, Cordoba(Cordoba).
    13- Olimpo, Bahia Blanca(Buenos Aires).
    14- Platense, Vicente López(Buenos Aires).
    15- Quilmes, Quilmes(Buenos Aires).
    16- San Martín SJ, San Juan(San Juan).
    17- San Martín T, San Miguel de Tucumán(Tucumán).
    18- Sportivo Italiano, Buenos Aires.
    19- Tiro Federal, Rosario(Santa Fe).
    20- Unión, Santa Fe(Santa Fe).

Other famous clubs.

- Atlanta, Buenos Aires.
    - Talleres Cba., Cordoba(Cordoba).
    - Gimnasia CDU, Concepción del Uruguay(Entre Rios).
    - Social Español, Buenos Aires. -Former "Deportivo Español".
    - Gimnasia y Tiro, Salta(Salta).
    - Deportivo Morón, Morón(Buenos Aires).
    - Los Andes, Lomas de Zámora(Buenos Aires).
    - Gimnasia Mza., Mendoza(Mendoza).
    - Racing de Cordoba, Cordoba(Cordoba).
    - Guillermo Brown, Puerto Madryn(Chubut).
    - Chaco For Ever, Resistencia(Chaco).
    - Textil Mandiyú, Corrientes(Corrientes). -Former "Deportivo Mandiyú".
    - Central Norte, Salta(Salta).
    - Alvarado, Mar Del Plata(Buenos Aires). -Aldosivi's arch-rival.
    - Nueva Chicago, Buenos Aires.
    - Deportivo Madryn, Puerto Madryn(Chubut).
    - Almirante Brown, La Matanza(Buenos Aires).

9. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well i meant from the greater BA metroplex , everyone knows Avellaneda is not in BA proper, but its considered part of the metropolitan area... thats wat i mean... Andres You are such Mod material...... RG can I get Amen??...;)

10. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Allahu Akbar, brother.

11. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Before I wholeheartedly recommend Newell's Old Boys a/k/a "La Lepra" and its "Hinchada que Nunca Abandona", you really have to ask yourself what kind of team you want to root for, and DON'T want to root for.

For example, as a Napoli guy, you are aware of the political and social connections clubs have with the populous in Italy. (Roma, rich city people, Lazio, more rural and politically in tune with fascism; Napoli and the Southern Italian teams vs. the egotistical power base Northern Italian teams; my team in Italia Torino, the team of the city, vs. Jumerdus and their non-Piemontese Fiat factory worker fans/strunzi). All sorts of historical divisions and interests on various levels. You are a fan of the Partenopei, why do you like them as well as other Italian squads, and more importantly, why do you hate certain Italian teams.

All those angles also exist in Argentina. As a general example, look at BA as the Northern Italy, with lots of those fans lfrom the "big" clubs looking down/lumping together teams from "el interior," or interior portion of the country/not BA.

I'm simplifying and perhaps generalizing a bit on that point, just wanted to give you a quick example.

Forget about rooting for teams with Italian roots in their club's initial formation though, as that will only eliminate a few clubs - Like Newell's and Central, formed by an English priest and the British railroad, respectively.

Always been a Napoli rooter, Diego "the player" (distinct from Diego, the sh1t natioanl team DT) of course is the main reason, but Napoli has always given Argentine players their opportunities.

Forza Toro, ritornamo a la A!

12. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What can you guys tell me about Aldosivi besides what wiki has to say about them?

13. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Forget about what everyone else has to say. If you become an "hincha" de Velez, Ill send you their Italian flag colored jersey, which was done in reference to the huge Italian fan base of Velez back in the day.

This is how it's done in Argentina. Some one you know buys your heart when you are young, they give you a shirt or a ball with the colors of the team.

In following with tradition, I offer you the same token as would someone from your family, at the very least your soccer family.

Aguante el fortin c a r a j o!!!!

FNU - We play Bosta Juniors, I mean Boca Juniors (sorry Moishe lol, devilman lol), on August 5th for the Copa Sudamericana. Until then stay cool.

:D

14. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A pic of this shirt you speak of? Italy support is nice and all, but Napoli is always first.
    I'll watch that game. I think I have to watch as many games as possible before I make any decisions. Thanks to all for the input so far.
    Why are Boca and River invited every year to the Copa Sud?

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It's just a rule that was set-up ever since the Copa Sudamericana was created back in 2002. I guess it was to assure it would have some sort of prestige by having two of the continent's biggest clubs in it? :confused: Regardless, this is the last year it will be in effect: starting in 2010, there will be no "invited" guests.

16. threervana

threervana Member

Jun 4, 2008
    China
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As a Napoli fan, I think you COULD AND SHOULD support the club that created Diego Maradona which is Argentinos:D

Or Boca Juniors which was his home before he became the NT coach:)

17. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Andres:
    Tremendous breakdown of division, team and location. And i thought that Diablo Rojo fans couldn't read!
    :D

18. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    He also played at Newell's for a year, but you'd never know he played anywhere except Boca.

The first time I ever saw him play was during his Argentinos Juniors days, when the played at Newell's.

19. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He played for NOB after Napoli, I remember that.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Several previous attempts at establishing a cup to compliment Copa Libertadores had failed. So, I guess the organizers of Sudamericana wanted to give their project a better chance to succeed, and they wanted to make sure that the two most popular Argentine clubs participated. Not exactly fair, but smart from a pragmatic point of view. And now the Sudamericana has survived long enough to where now they feel confident of its survival and will stop inviting them.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Many attempts at a cup to compliment Copa Libertadores failed. I guess the organizers of Sudamericana wanted to give their project a better chance to succeed, so they wanted to make sure that the two most popular Argentine clubs participated. Not exactly fair, but smart from a pragmatic point of view. And now the Sudamericana has survived long enough to where they feel more confident of its survival they will stop inviting them.

22. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After his suspension, he came back to La Liga and played with Seville, with Bilardo as DT.

23. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well for one, in honour to their nick name El Tiburón(The Shark) they always have a shark shaped thing in front of their stand with the colours of the club. A very curious thing if you ask me.

[​IMG]

This shark is named El Tiburón II came to life in 2006, in honour to a similar shark who had its parade around the port in the 70's.

On historical aspects, Allard, Doulfus, Sillard and Wiriott(founding members also the people from which Aldosivi got its name) were engineers and owners of an enterprise who were building the port of Mar Del Plata at the time, which is why Aldosivi is always related and attached to the port.

Something important about Aldosivi is that, while it's true Aldosivi plays its home matches at the Minella stadium, Aldosivi did have its own stadium at some point, but it seems that it had a problem with it not having a proper exit gate for visitors so it was closed down around in late 90's early 2000's(not sure of the exact date), fixing the old stadium was going to be very complicated so eventually they sold it altogether. However a couple of years ago they came up with a project for a new stadium, apparently they're still trying to gather funds for it. Aldosivi, very much(and to some extent Alvarado) are the only ones giving Minella's stadium a regular use, so outside the club there're mixed feelings about such, but the club managment and the supporters want a stadium of their own.

By the way regarding the Copa Sudamericana, i once heard Grondona or Marchi(It was one of them for sure) who saying that River and Boca being invited to the Sudamericana was also because they said that they weren't getting that much money from the Libertadores so they wanted a second cup which was why the same teams qualifying to the Libertadores qualified to the Sudamericana(well in reality it can still happen even without the invitees).

24. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hmmm, I like sharks. Very cool, thanks.

25. Sebo43

Sebo43 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Turquia
    @FNU
    when do you born?
    It is not random which Football Club do you like.
    Look what is happened in World Football during your Live which great Matches or Players especially do you enjoyed!
    What politic meaning do you have or only the Colors were reasons to like some Football Clubs.

My person for example...
    I was born 1981 and in the early 90`s the World Soccer has many great Clubs and Nationalteams with Legend Players, like Batigol, Baresi, Hagi, Maradona, Pep Guardiola, Okocha, Baggio, Bebeto, Cantona, Bergkamp, Klinsmann...
    Some of them the List were to long for this Forum :)

My Favourite Teams in the world were

1. Besiktas Istanbul
    because the great History of the Founder of this Club was a reason.
    The Club was found 1903 in the old Ottoman Empire, the young Turks with Ataturk organize later the Independent-War of the Turks and declared the Turkish Republic.
    The Fans of Besiktas be the owner of Decible Record in the Stadium, they beeing crazy

2. River Plate
    The colors were the same like Besiktas and River Plate stand for Argentinian Soccer.
    It was the Label for Diego Simeone, Pablo Aimar, Saviola and Co.
    The Jersey with the Red Band looks fantastic!
    My First NT Jersey was an Argentinian Jersey from Reebok, i like fast combinations and Dribblings of Argentina. They really live Soccer and the Ball is a part of their Body!

3. Olympique Marseille
    It a little similar to my Charakter, Marseille is a cosmopolitic Place in France.
    Christians, Jews and Muslims were supporting their Team in Velodrome together!
    Perhaps i like it because French Rap and Peugeot, Taxi (Movie) or
    Luc Besson - Jean Reno Double :rolleyes:
    It is Zidane`s favourite Club, he would play in his Career in Marseille but after Bordeaux he must join to Juventus!

4. Ac Milan
    The Home of World Stars, but i like the old Generation like Baresi, Albertini, Boban, Maldini & Co.
    Italy`s Nationalteam 1994 was build on a lot of Ac Milan Players.
    The Final against Brazil i`ll never forget, i was so sad after the final!
    Milan is a part of my Soccer enthusiasm, i would give a lot to turn back to the early 90`s

In my youth we played not Fifa or PES, for my Generation it was a duty to play Sensible World of Soccer, so we know many Countries and love Soccer!
    Hope you will decide the right Team in Argentina