Which 3 New Players Should be on the USWNT Now

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by skybolt, Dec 3, 2012.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and isn't that the point of having the three of them up there? It's a pick your poisin kind of deal. Most teams will probably lock down on Alex and make Leroux & Press beat them, but I remember a game those two played well together.

2. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    p
    Missing the point, as always, when it comes to Women's Soccer o_O, which seems to be different from any other sport on the face of this earth, when it comes to this board. Even in the GREAT NFL, the best player on the team can turn into a decoy, depending the strengthens of the opposing defenses. Press wasn't a decoy, but she functioned in the part of the game, which was Germany's strong point, MF vs it's back-line and attack, so it took resources to keep her away from the box. Put Morgan or Sydney in that point, and the outcome is the same with Aver and Boxx in that lineup.

Put the best 6 when everyone is pretty healthy up front against top teams, and see can she be worked into the attack in a 4-4-2. if not, can it.

in time, teams will take away the HOTTEST of the three, once cap experience balances out. Sermanni has to make up the cap time and experience lost with those two in about 18 mths. Press is less work but more game flow and feel, Sydney is ALL work and softening up her heavy touch.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If he switches to 4-3-3 the forwards might be happy for a rotation. The outside forwards will have to play end line to end line instead of waiting at midfield for the ball to come forward again.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I suppose someone who actually has posting rights should post this under a new topic.

Roster for Eurotrip 2
    U.S. Women’s National Team Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (3):
    Nicole Barnhart (FC Kansas City), Adrianna Franch (Western New York Flash), Ashlyn Harris (Washington Spirit)
    DEFENDERS (9):
    Rachel Buehler (Portland Thorns FC), Crystal Dunn (North Carolina), Whitney Engen (Liverpool, England), Julie Johnston (Santa Clara), Meghan Klingenberg (Tyresö, Sweden), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Christie Rampone (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City)
    MIDFIELDERS (7):
    Yael Averbuch (Göteborg, Sweden), Shannon Boxx (Chicago Red Stars), Lauren Cheney (FC Kansas City), Tobin Heath (PSG, France), Kristie Mewis (FC Kansas City), Heather O’Reilly (Boston Breakers), Megan Rapinoe (Lyon, France)
    FORWARDS (4):
    Sydney Leroux (Boston Breakers), Alex Morgan (Portland Thorns FC), Christen Press (Tyresö, Sweden), Abby Wambach (Western New York Flash)
    Like this? Share this!

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Womens...anni-Names-WNT-Roster-for-Trip-to-Europe.aspx

5. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I don't know about posting rights . . . but I did post it as a new thread. If I erred, someone will let me know, I'm sure. :whistling:

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So basically add Johnston, Franch and Klingenberg to the list

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Now we joined around the same time...how come u can post a thread and I cant???

8. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    And you have more points and so on, too . . . No idea. I just saw the black Post A New Thread box, and clicked on it. :ninja:

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Bastard!!!

LeftCoastLondoner repped this.
  10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kernel you've been on much longer than me, but a few weeks ago I started the U-23 in Spain thread. I tried to start another last night and it wouldn't let me. Its another oddity I've noticed in addition to the sometimes I can rep, sometimes I can't.

Maybe just reload your browser and try again, I don't see why anybody should be prevented from starting new threads.

LeftCoastLondoner repped this.
  11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK, Im starting to feel put upon :)

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought he'd play with the MF a bit more. You know Edwards > Averbuch.

[​IMG]

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think Edwards will make an impact when he sees her with Portland (or not). He prolly hasnt seen much of her and the other people at player development arent pushing her.

Edwards was on that wsoccerchat thing that Averbuch does tonight.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK...since this question was raised back in December the following have passed thru the turnstiles. Since nothing much is happening til June I thought it was time to revisit.
    Gk Alyssa Naeher (limited trial)
    GK Adrianna Franch
    GK Nicole Barnhart
    GK Ashlyn Harris
    GK Jill Loyden
    GK Hope Solo
    GK Jane Campbell
    F Amy Rodriguez (Pregnant)
    F Sarah Hagen (limited trial)
    F Sydney Leroux
    F Abby Wambach
    F Zakiya Bywaters
    F Alex Morgan
    F Christen Press
    F Lyndsey Horan
    M Lori Lindsey
    M Lauren Cheney
    M Keelin Winters
    M Shannon Boxx
    M Heather O'Reilly
    M Carli Lloyd
    M Megan Rapinoe
    M Tobin Heath
    M Kristin Mewis
    M Yael Averbuch
    M Amber Brooks (limited trial)
    D Christie Rampone
    D Kelley O'Hara
    D Becky Sauerbrunn
    D Ali Krieger
    D Heather Mitts
    D Rachel Buehler
    D Whitney Engen
    D Julie Johnston
    D Crystal Dunn
    D Meghan Klingenberg
    D Amy LePeilbet (Injuried)
    D Stephainie Cox (Pregnant)

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    GK - Im not sure anything has changed. Whatever Loyden accomplished probably was undone by her ill timed injury. No idea if Franch or Naeher made an impression.

F - Christen Press has become the elephant in the room. Side note...as they do not have elephants in Sweden it's understandable that she was missed.

M - Im not sure anything has changed here as well. Mewis has showed some talent, but hasnt gotten much of a chance in midfield. Averbuch has had plenty of time at AM but other than the occasional boomer from 30 yards hasnt made much of an impression. Johnston could be the DM in waiting but she isnt ready today.

D - Engen looks as good as anyone they currently have and Dunn looks like a star in training. Throw in the return of Krieger and the back line looks on the mend.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    goaleemama repped this.
  17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    People believe Press needs to come to the NWSL. Personally, I think she needs to stay in Sweden and get 2 yrs on the pitch with Martha,is a bit of a "B" version of Marta. I could only see her in the states if Pali comes online in LA in 2014. Sermanni knows what she is doing in the US or not.

She was awarded the 1st goal.

No way she isn't one of his forwards going into 2015.

Marta getting her form back after those surgeries. Press should have gone to Brasil :mad: since she looks like the 2nd Brasilian on the pitch.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It doesnt matter for her US team career if she plays in the US or Sweden. The only real advantage to her coming to the US is endorsement money. Whether thats a factor for her or not I dont know but US sponsors would want her playing in front of a US audience.

19. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The big money comes after the WC. She'll pick up more playing with Marta through 2014 than carrying Washington or another out-of-the-running team. Pali/Strikers would be her only BIG meal ticket in the states right now. Game continues to get better in Sweden, more diverse. That 2nd goal was right out of Marta's handbook of turn, burn, turn it in and finish.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Someone should tell the fans that. Was the Goteborg Tyreso game, which is a big game in that league, as empty as it appeared in the highlights?

21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Not really 763, which is about 100 above Göteborg's home average (their home avaerage is below the leagues averag), and the game was on the telly.

22. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Her coming to the NWSL is more about that the league (may) need her than that she needs NWSL.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The league needs scorers. Too many low scoring games lends credence to the notion that nothing happens during soccer games.

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It is hard to deny that she is a prolific scorer :)

25. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Press certainly is: