Where will PSG finish in Ligue 1?

Discussion in 'France' started by Mel Brennan, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See poll above. Elucidate, if need be, below.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    They're not as good as the good PSG teams of the past. If they want to win championships they need a few more great players. When I read that they probably couldn't afford Sylvain Wiltord that was disturbing. I think getting in the Champions League year after year will help with getting better players but it will be hard to do that because French league is so competitive.

3. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago

It's been a very long time since PSG actually played good defense. This team does that well. The problem is that we need a good distributor in the middle and a true finisher to partner with Pauleta. Solve those two problems and this club will do very well in Europe next season. I think we'll finish second due to the fact that Lyon and Monaco have a lot more matches to play. We're well rested and that goes along way this time of the year. This is that time of year the injuries due to fatigue start to occur. If you saw this year's Copa del Rey, the one thing the announcers actually got right was how the Galacticos were just spent and that was a big reason why Zaragosa beat them. I think our final position in Ligue 1 will be decided April 14 against the wrong shade of Blue @ the Parc. How fitting

4. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great comeback win against Nantes...

...But Halilhodzic was toning any Championship ambitions down when he said: "This was a great win that gives us a lot of pleasure and confidence for the rest of the championship.

"The squad showed a lot of character. I have always said I am more concerned about what is happening below us in the championship but it does not stop me from being ambitious.

"The championship is not over. We must remain fired but concentrated.

"I will sign the papers now for third place in the Championship," said Halilhodzic in remarks reported on www.psg.fr...

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG are still in the race for Pedretti, Wiltord and Deco. Imagine if they could get all 3. Just a pipedream I guess.

6. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deco's the smart move, particularly if Gabi (RIP to his father) is leaving anyway...

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The reality is they will need all 3 of those players if they want to compete well with likes of Arsenal, Milan, Manchester United or Madrid. I'm afraid 1 or 2 of those class of players won't be enough to go deep in Europe but it should be enough for a league title but a club like PSG has higher ambitions than just the league.

8. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Nous n'avons besoin trois. It's all about the right combo. Actually, I think getting Ogbeche back from Bastia where he's on loan would make a difference since he's getting quite a bit of playing time for them. Irony is that PSG will probably qualify for Ligue 1 but a certain Spanish club may miss out again.

You should also exclude Manchester Utd from that list. They'll have a hard time making it out of the group stage next season and actually could fail to qualify for the group stage since they've got to qualify for it this summer.
    :cool:
    A+,
    Fonsos

9. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three of these clubs will be at home, just like you and me, watching the CL semi-final and final. A better model seems to be Monaco, or even Porto; there's no replacement for coaches (like Didier) who know how tactics, know how to get the most out of players, and a relatively injury-free season; Vahid is doing just fine, thanks.

10. mondieu

mondieu Red Card

Apr 19, 2004
    Anyone have a link to Ronaldinho's PSG goals?

11. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody prepared to revise their vote?

Here we come...

12. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From the few matches I have seen in the US, PSG looks decent, but not good enough to beat out Lyon or Monaco. 3rd place is not totally awful, you know.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    either way we're gonna have 3 good teams in the Champions League for the 2nd year in a row. It wont be like last few years past where we had 1 year wonders like Nantes, Lille, Lens, and Auxerre who had no chance of winning and weren't committed. Lyon and Monaco did well this year they can do well next year too barring they dont lose anyone major and depending on who they're grouped with. Also I think PSG can do better than Marseille did in this year's Champions League.

14. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Actually, if it's one thing that the top three (3) clubs in Ligue 1 have is the fact that they play the same way -- as a TEAM. They're alll working hard for one another and it's the main reason why they've had success this season coupled with Top Class managing.

Monaco got it done w/o Nonda for most of the season and now that he's back watch out.

Lyon has kept it going despite injuries to key players throughout the season.

PSG just got it right with a new Manager and GM. We've got one of the best defenses in Ligue 1 and considering that we're still lacking a true play maker and in need of another striker upfront, we're doing a hell of a lot better than I expected this season.

PSG-Lyon May 15. Mark your calendar, this will be the week-end L1 title will be decided. Monaco will finish 3rd but considering that they'll win C1, I got the funny feeling they'll get over it.

Scary thing is who will these three teams pick up next season.

Fonsos
    100% PSG

15. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    undefined
    Putain Roni

Fonsos :mad:

16. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to Strasbourg and only getting a draw doesn't help our cause; we've been dead solid defensively on the road, but offense has been spotty.

A European spot next year will hopefully free up some cash for a difference-making attacking midfielder or supporting striker to Pauleta...

17. Another-David

Another-David New Member

May 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    My admittedly optimistic prediction is that they'll finish in first place. Having said that, Lyon and Monaco are great teams and this is the closest race the championnat has had in a long time, so we'll see.