Where will Detroit play? Venue-quest

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by ButlerBob, Jan 12, 2009.

1. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Re: USL 1 or 2 team in Detroit?

Harrison is good to seat a bit around 3-3.5k maybe. When Farmington Public Schools redid all of our football stadiums, North Farmington was the smallest, Farmington was the middle one and Harrison the biggest but I played a year at Farmingtons new stadium and it held maybe 2.5k. Harrison wasn't that much bigger really so I'd say 3.5k is a stretch, standing room though you can fit 6k easy.

Stoney Creek might be the better fit from what I remember, played there once or twice.

Wisner Stadium is falling apart, we had to play there a lot against Pontiac Central. The bleachers are starting to crumble, the grass is AWFUL. It would need some big time renovation to play there.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Keep me updated.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Besides being able to hold 5,000, USL also requires lights for all their pro venues (PDL too I believe).

4. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Will do. We're currently up to 8 posts on the thread, so we need more people.

Thanks. That's actually good to know...not a lot of 5K seat high school stadiums in Michigan.

I would love for them to start out in our hometown Farmington/Farmington Hills. With the USL's requirement, the stadiums are probably too small. What about Bicentennial Park in Livonia? I haven't been through there in ages, but do they have a central field that can be used...maybe add some bleachers to make it about 6000 seats?

5. Jboc15

Jboc15 New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Detroit

I kinda hope they dont use the Bucks name because I just dont like the color's at all.

6. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Something tells me that the new team will have a new name and colors.

7. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

If they are going to bring in 6,000 seats worth of bleachers they might as well just do it at USA, but that won't happen. Logically it will be some sort of High School stadium IF we play in 2010, if we play in 2011 I don't see why we wouldn't be in our own stadium (the one Duggan has talked about multiple times of building).

I wouldn't mind keeping the Bucks honestly, but I agree I have a feeling it will go in a different direction, but I expect the Bucks to remain as they are which would give us both a USL-1 and a PDL team!

8. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We are up to 10 in the subforum request thread. Let me know what the next steps will be from our end, if any.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its all up to the SuperMods. :D

10. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let the good times roll.

11. DetroitLFC

DetroitLFC New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm counting down the days until USL1 in D-e-t RIOT!

12. atkruz789

atkruz789 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No dice on Bi-Cen in Livonia, no lights and no bleachers. Not to mention that would be a scheduling/parking nightmare on game day.

Bring it on boys (and girls) we are ready for ya! We already know how well Cleveland traveled for the USOC last year...had to day it...HAD TO

13. ca218

ca218 New Member

Mar 9, 2008

livonia or PLYMOUTH makes sense for a pro team since you could get newspaper coverage and they are soccer towns . surely with 5 hs football fields in the 2 towns you could find a place to play that you'll probably need since this area is short on $$$ and time to build a field anywhere

14. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

Livonia probably would make a bit of sense, but here is the thing. None of their High Schools stadiums would meet a 5k requirement, in fact very few in the Metro-Detroit area would. I know Livonia wouldn't I played at Farmington High. Here is the other thing to consider, Duggan already has plans for a soccer plex so to speak at the Ultimate Soccer Arena and probably already has the outdoor stadium plans drawn up and ready to go...chances the real stadium is anywhere but there are slim.

15. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure that Livonia or Plymouth would be ideal locations, since there are a lot of fans on the East side of the metro area, and near where the permanent home will be in the northern suburbs, for whom that would be a mighty long drive.

16. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

Yeah I think we can all agree, the best place for a stadium would be downtown, where its a 20-30 minute drive for most everyone from the suburbs. But that is a pipe dream and I'm gona let it go right now.

17. ca218

ca218 New Member

Mar 9, 2008

there are a lot of fans on the west side (aka plymouth whalers ) as well and if this is to be metro detroit's team then should'nt a central locale be the home of the team ? (yes) ! the current pontiac locale is probably too small and if a usl detroit entry is a go for 2010 and i dont see the bucks having the $$$ or time to build a new venue . the market on and off the field has been overlooked for too long but a poorly located team could make it a non factor before game one is ever played

18. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

You are right the current stadium in Pontiac is too small, only seats about 2,000. But the plans are there to build a 5.5k stadium outdoors across the street from the indoor stadium and create a soccer complex.

The one thing that I think the organization has going for it is that if the team is a winner, Detroiters have been known to drive all over the metro area to watch good teams play (the Palace is further away than the soccer complex would be, and 20k some fans go there). So not my ideal location as its still a 45 minute drive for me but I'll take pro soccer in any form in Detroit.

19. leland_palmer

leland_palmer New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Looks like it might be at the Silverdome. Supposedly the new owners want to bring a MLS AND a Women's pro soccer team to the dome. I think Pontiac’s emergency financial manager may have confused Professional Soccer Team with MLS.

Most likely the Toronto firm is working with Duggan on the USL-1 Team. The company could own the facilty and lease it to Duggan or co-own the team with him with the hope that it will eventually move up to MLS.

OR this could be an entirely new player.

20. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm guessing new player. Duggan already has a venue in mind, a much-cheaper new stadium on land adjacent to Ultimate Soccer Arenas, where the Bucks play (which is about two miles due south of the Silverdome). Why spend money on land you don't need, even the dirt-cheap price for which the Silverdome was just sold, with the prospect of having to spend more for demolition and remodeling than you'd have to for the whole new place at USA?

21. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Good points.

22. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member