Where to watch USA-POR in San Francisco

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by OGx3, Jun 18, 2014.

1. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    Spending Sunday 6/22 in San Francisco. I want to find a restaurant/pub to watch the game. Fan atmosphere a must, decent food a plus. Suggestions? Obrigado.

Come on, you Yanks!
    ~OGx3

2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McTeague's is the official AO bar. Mad Dog in the Fog and Danny Coyles are two soccer bars that are a few doors down from each other. I saw the Ghana game at Danny Coyles and had heard that mad dog had a $10 cover (DC had none, although it was on Monday, obviously). There were plenty of US supporters. The city's pretty psyched. All the places here should have a good US crowd.
    There is also a public viewing at Civic Center, in the middle of downtown. Not sure about booze there, though. Finally for food, there's the Pheonix (great food, will likely be packed, as it draws an international set to begin with) and an amazing sounding viewing party at the Soma StrEat Park (an outdoor beer garden/revolving collection of food trucks-- a great place to go for amazing food). Tickets are $25 I think and you can buy online. Too rich for my and my friends' blood, but if you're willing to pay I'm sure it'll have everything you're looking for.

OGx3 repped this.
  3. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me add a few: The Chieftain on 5th Street and Kezar Pub on Stanyan Street.

Ricky's and the Englander are super East Bay locations.

OGx3 repped this.
  4. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forgot about Kezar. Saw the Gold Final from 2011 there. Haven't gone back since...

OGx3 repped this.
  5. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    Thanks much for all the great info!

I was initially thinking I would go to a bar; the replies reminded me of my trip to the Chieftain to watch USA-GHA in '06. I think I had suppressed that horrible memory--the game, not the place. In quest of domestic harmony--I will be with my wife Sunday--I'm going with Soma StrEat Park. I showed her some details/pics/other related things online, and I think she's gonna love it! Hell, we both will. The fund raiser aspect had a nice appeal, and I'm a sucker for food trucks.

Never would have heard about it if not for felloveranddidanadu--many thanks!
    ~OGx3

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  6. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was at the Chieftain to watch the Algeria game! Good times!!

7. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll let you know if i end up there. i'll see what the rest of the gang thinks. either way, have a blast!