Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not so sure about the big things for mid-table BL1 sides (though BL2 sides should be possible :whistling:) but otherwise fair comment.

However, let's see how we'd react after 3 seasons playing for Sunderland with a fourth looming, especially when Sunderland will expedite any decent transfer offer but stonewall loan bids. He was too expensive for any mid-table continentals, and his record in England - plus his playing style - would deter anything other than a loan-with-an-option, probably with with Sunderland picking up 2/3rds of the wages.

MLS would look pretty good to anyone in those circumstances.

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Everton sneak in there?

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3178 The Irish Rover, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Everton?? Competing for the CL?? For the EL??

[​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Uh, nothing against Dempsey, but how are his choices the "harder road and bigger challenges" relative to Jozy?

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey rapped.

6. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    No, Dempsey spit hot fire.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Spitting bars for the stars and bars...

How could I have been so wrong?

8. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For that matter, didn’t Jones stick with his domestic league for almost his entire playing career and then pick the weaker national team instead of holding out the stronger national team?

superdave, WrmBrnr and freisland repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, all in all it's just a weird statement - but Weah OT as well.

I haven't seen much new on Tim. Still seeing on-line chatter from Paris that PSG-Lille have agreed on 10 million Euro, but PSG wants 50% transfer fees and Lille wants to knock that down. But none of this is from official sites so I think it's recirculating old reports.

Grumpy in LA and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    PSG is bluffing. Tim had good U-20 WC, the price will go down if he doesn't see enough playing time next season.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think PSG just realizes that his good showing in U20 has inflated Weah's pricetag and want to cash-in.

Before the U20 they seemed ready to cut-bait...but now they want max dollars (or euros)....maybe even they were intrigued by his showing...and don't want to let him go now unless a certain threshold is met because they like what they saw too....

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think if there really is a deal agreed on a 10 mill transfer fee and the outstanding issue is % of future transfer, thats pretty likely to get agreed, absent other competitive offers. LOSC is not offering 0, it seems, so the difference between, something and 50 is fairly easily bridged. But I'm not sure how accurate these internet rumors are. They get repeated so much they seem "true" but often are all based on the same source.

adam tash repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Tim Weah transfer update, Brought to you by Camilia Cabelo and Machine Gun Kelly... (The "disaccord" getting full internet hype this morning...)

1143837293150646273 is not a valid tweet id

14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they've agreed a fee and are quibbling on a sell-on %, I'd say it's looking pretty good

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Agree - if it's all true, which I can't vouch. Be surprised if it all breaks down over 10-20% of future money, but who knows.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True, but if PSG stick to their guns it suggests that they do rate him as a player, just not one that fits with their playing philosophy going forward.

The thing is, Lille are not a very rich club and if they sell Tim for serious money, they'll want every penny to plug gaps in finances, re-invest in the the transfer market, infrastructure, etc. PSG are, ahem, rich so they don't need the transfer fee but a) nobody likes to sell something for less than it's worth, and b) a lower sell-on % weakens a future competitor. Lille themselves aren't rich but the new owner has serious money, more than enough to fund the "trade your way to success" strategy they seem to be following. A higher sell-on percentage puts a bit of sand in the gears of that kind of strategy. Not a lot, perhaps, but every little bit helps.

adam tash, largegarlic and TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sure, if they have a better option for their 10 mill, maybe. Most likely reason it becomes a deal break is Lille wants to set a precedent, Because really, if you think/hope Weah will go for, what... 50 mill to the EPL in 2 years? You give up <50% is 25mill, which is nothing to sneeze at, of course, but you're also giving up a chance at 25 mill+ profit, which means you need to find another player you think can help you now and you hope to sell for as much for 10 mill with better sell-on terms. Those players aren't growing on trees.

It'll depend how much Lille believes in him - and most importantly what other real offers are floating in the clouds for PSG to grab.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Real offers? I hope you're not suggesting that we stop churning out unsubstantiated rumors.

freisland, sXeWesley and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. Insecticide

Insecticide Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is such a good move for weah. I have a feeling he's going to get alot of playing time this season

21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From reading earlier reports, sounds like higher upfront and lower sell on. That’s good. Lille really believes in him.

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    And playstation vue just added beIN sports to the lower tier packages, so I can watch french league and Tim. Yay!

kba4life1 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States