Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA is dominated by UEFA.

FIFA rankings are skewed towards UEFA teams and playing and beating UEFA teams....

pretty sure if you look into you will see that this whole regional national league idea started in UEFA...and since they are doing it, the other regions basically have to as well.....

If UEFA's open dates are all in their own league of nations...cuts out a lot of the prime friendly opponents for the US.

Would be nice to see CONMBEOL and CONCACAF merge....then we'd finally stop seeing these minor league tactics that get the USMNT through our region exposed for what they are - second-rate.

So no..UEFA didn't force CONCACAF to have a nations league but they didn't leave much of an alternative as soon as they decided to have one in UEFA - (which suits their interests vis a vis the other regions).....

Its like "playing hard to get" in dating...scarcity increases value. (and makes it harder for other regions to knock them off their perch)

Tom Collingsworth and Pegasus repped this.
  2. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    After watching the game against Nigeria, I keep thinking that Weah needs to develop a chip shot when he's one on one with a keeper. I can't count how many times he gets through and then lasers the ball into the keeper when the chip is wide open.

Here are some examples but I know I've seen it a bunch:

https://streamable.com/9uke0

https://streamable.com/zdbof

taylor, Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be funny if all countries do a reciprocal rule where club teams can only play in your country if their national team has played there is the last year? Two, four years? Why allow their club teams to make cash grabs all over N. America and Asia when their national teams snub those regions?

Combining the Americas is an alternative but until the money justifies one of those new fangled super fast planes then the flight times are daunting. At least the jet lag wouldn't be as much of an issue.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree. The deft touch that chips the keeper close in is the tool that the best strikers seem to utilize at exactly the right time. Timo just keeps trying to pound that round peg into a square hole and wondering why he's not able to craft himself into the PSG set-up.

Gacm32 and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Timo is a maddening player. Have watch all 3 u-20 games so far and he's played every minute. He reminds me of a player on Football Manager who has very high flair but very low first touch; his ideas are very creative and intuitive but he can rarely pull off his flicks. It also seems like he'd rather do a clever one touch flick because he doesn't trust himself or have the ability to trap and turn and carry the ball at speed while being defended against.
    He stunk it up for the whole game and then popped up with a moment of quality to score the only goal in our 1-0 win against Qatar. If he could improve his finishing and technique/dribbling, he'll be a good player. Until then he'll struggle certainly to make it at PSG and struggle even at lower tiers, as a lot of guys can do what he does as well.
    Personality-wise though, I love the guy. He's always working, so positive, picks up teammates

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He's got a good knack of being in the right place at the right time, making smart runs. But agree. He's going to need to be more consistent when does have the ball.

7. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I think the jury is still out on how good he can ultimately be. My concerns for him eventually reaching the highest levels are:

1.) His first touch is relatively poor and he lacks the close ball control to beat defenders off the dribble or look comfortable in tight spaces. Finishing is decent enough, but nowhere near elite. Limits the types of games you can use him in and his effectiveness in general.

2.) He's relatively fast, but his speed isn't elite and certainly not fast enough to compensate for his current limitations.

3.) Outside of the nice goal and assist, he hasn't looked very impactful at all at the u20 World Cup. And a top prospect with his aspirations really should.

Might turn out that he's a good, not great player. I agree with those that think that making good runs is currently his strength. If he does realize his high ceiling, it will be because he improved on the issues in point number one above.

wsmaugham repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He always looks a step out of sync with respect to the rest of the team. Reminds me of Aronjo.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    O/T

a Norwegian scored 9 goals against Honduras. Remember that for when your grandkids are playing Trivial Pursuit with you.

adam tash and taylor repped this.
  10. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    His touch is one of his biggest strengths.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I agree at all. He has had a hand full of god awful first touches every game, either because he's trying to push the ball around a player or it's a genuinely poor touch. He makes excellent runs for 90 minutes, can at times combine really well and seems to relish the big moments...still have high hopes for the guy

tomásbernal and bballshawn repped this.
  12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I think this is his style, not so much his touch. If you look at how he receives the ball, he instantly pushes it in front of him so he can run with it or make his trademark loop around a defender. But, I think he is starting to become predictable with this.

If you look at his breakaway attempt that was saved vs Qatar, it was Pulisic-level touch to bring the ball down with ease and in-stride.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  13. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a bit of an enigma on the ball. Long term viewing will tell you he has a certain magic about his touch and confidence.

He can't truly be depended on to retain possession in tight spaces, or to continue an attack at speed seamlessly the way the true maestros can, but he also uses his technique to conjure beautifully things out of nowhere in the final third on a regular basis against all types of competition.

He's going to make a mark in Europe stretching defending lines, and ruthlessly finishing poaching situations.

14. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He never drives at players from the wings like Konrad and Llanez does. This to me shows how he isn't a winger. He always cuts inside passes to striker looking for a one two then shoots of lays off to winger and gets in position to poach.If he doesn't do that he back passes after a long touch.

15. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His future is at the 9. But he needs to be able to work off the ball and get played in behind. That's why it didn't work against Ukraine, because they bunkered and his hold up play isn't good and doesn't play to his strengths.

He can play on the wing but he's better at playing combos and quick passes than how Tab wants his wingers to play wide and beat their man. He's not getting a lot of chances to combine, and his goals and danger moments have been, no surprise, on good runs being rewarded by Mendez and quick combos.

tl;dr he's not a really good fit in this particular team, and I think he plays up/down to the quality of his teammates.

adam tash repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unreal.

4 spots for CONCACAF and 4 spots for CONMEBOL is a farce.

LouisianaViking07/09 and kba4life1 repped this.
  17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea at least Panama advanced as a 3rd place team.

On Weah, not sure how he can compete for a spot at PSG when he can’t dominate in a U20 WC. Guy needs a loan somewhere else, but his performance isn’t going to warrant any interest in Ligue 1 unless he can blow the lid off against France on Tuesday.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I rarely subscribe to single matches or YNT small samples being huge contributors to club future but this is a huge opportunity for Timmy. All eyes in Ligue 1 will be on this and he will be matched up with many of the top players he is being compared to. A strong performance would go a long way for him.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Saving the Best for Last :cool:

adam tash repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Uh? All four CONMEBOL teams made it past group. No other confederation managed 100% of their teams going through.

21. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I read his post as “it’s crazy that lowly CONCACAF gets the same number of slots as a very good CONMEBOL,” but maybe I’m wrong.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ah ok. Well, 4 teams is 40% of C-BOL.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDC....panama and honduras would never qualify out of conmebol....besides CONMEBOL got 60% in Brazil.

Honestly CONMEBOL should have some more spots in the WC...even 6 is not enough. It's the best region in the world and almost all of their countries would consistently make it out most groups. That the copa america champs Chile was not at the last world cup is a joke, imo.

Would be cool if CONMEBOL and CONCACAF merged...the USMNT would be forced to evolve and couldn't get by on "well, at least we do well in our region"

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a merger would suck because of all the CONCACAF minnows in the mix. Now, USA, Mexico and Costa Rica leaving for CONMEBOL (which, of course, cannot happen ) - that would be interesting.

BostonRed repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s okay, the minnows can compete with Oceania!