Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ladies and gents, Weah is just another player in a long list that Lennon has alienated, cast off, or just flat out refused to play despite obvious talent that can benefit his team. This is less of a Celtic issue and more of a Lennon issue. This is exactly why I have never liked Lennon. It seems like he picks one or two players in his squad and this happens. This is why many of the Celtic supporters were not in favor of his return. His on the field management is decent but his “player management” is horrible and caused several controversies. Anyways.....don’t let this fiasco and treatment of Weah stain your thoughts on Celtic. This is all Lennon’s doing. He poured cold water on this loan that was seemingly going smooth until he arrived. Oh.....google Weah and Lennon. There are several articles out there about the supporters being angered at the Weah treatment. Also several Celtic greats like Chris Surton have tweeted their support of Weah. I feel bad for Weah. He didn’t deserve this treatment from Lennon. For years and years and years I’ve wanted a Yank at Celtic. It’s been a dream. That dream was awesome until Lennon came on board. I hope he’s out at the end of the season and not given a new contract. I think that all hinges on if Celtic wins the Scottish Cup.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kind of glad he's already out of there. Can't stand having to watch the SPL.

3. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    #2953 hype25, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Strasbourg and a few other clubs were interested here:

https://thelaziali.com/2018/09/10/report-lazio-timothy-weah-psg/

"According to the source, Strasbourg have informed PSG of their interest in taking Weah on loan with or without an option to buy but have been told that a deal is unlikely at this stage.

PSG have told them they will consider whether a temporary move for guaranteed regular first-team football would be more beneficial for Weah than staying with the club this season."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...ffer-for-us-international-timothy-weah-source

4. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    No worries. You never know how credible the reports are, but I see articles linking him to Lazio, Salzburg, Galatasaray, Strasbourg, Amiens, Stuttgart and Bayer Leverkusen over the past two transfer windows.

And I agree with m vann that Lennon is the problem here, not Celtic. Unfortunate turn of events with the managerial change, but it's on to new challenges for Tim now. Looking forward to seeing how he does with the u20s.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Such a shame, but it showed how terrible Chupo was for the club. I can't imagine he's beating out Weah for much PT next Fall.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No idea about any of this, but let the silliness begin.

based on this, it seems, (if you want to be all Cosmo and read it in another language.)

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "Crystal Palace, Rennes and a third unnamed club have positioned themselves ..."

I think it's time to play ... Name That Club!

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Getafe, as they look to strengthen their attack before their maiden Champions League campaign next season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Chelsea, of course.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So far he doesn't become the Nth Yank parked in the Championship (a league similar in strength and style to MLS, they could as well get parked there), I'm ok.

LouisianaViking07/09 and adam tash repped this.
  11. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I actually think Dortmund would make sense. Despite Isak’s goal scoring exploits in the Netherlands, I don’t think he’s a long term option for BVB.

Weah can backup Paco, and provide cover on the wings. I think he’d do well and get solid playing time there

largegarlic and The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Crystal Palace desperately need a striker. Doubly so, someone who can break on the counter with Zaha and Townsend. He's not a holdup guy and they've failed with that for two seasons now with Benteke, Wickham, and Sorloth. So a different type who could be reasonably purchased with a massive sell on potential makes sense for a team trying to establish themselves as legit mid-table, Europa League level club.

13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I wouldn’t mind any of those 3. I can watch them currently so I’m good. He may shine more with Rennes however

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm gonna be ballsy and name Olympiacos.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Congrats to the little team that could.

16. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems pretty silly to sell him at this point, unless he has a really good U20 WC and they don't think he's good enough to fit the Choupo role. Which would be a strange congruence of circumstances.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure he's ready for the EPL. I think a decent French team would be a great place for him to land.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they get a good offer now, they might want to take it. Although I'm not expecting it, he could bomb at the U20 and lose some value.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This was my thinking - maybe Weah showed enough at Celtic to get a good money offer, but if I had his contract, based on watching his play, I'd think a loan to an upper-mid Ered team or a lower-Bund even, with a good developing coach/management would be a reasonable gamble on the possibility Weah could show as a special player and attract some real dough.

But obviously they know his game way better than me so if these rumors are true, it either means the offers are decent money or they don't think he's going to show much more with a different loan.

20. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you even suggest that? At what point in his career has he ever bombed? The guy has produced at every level, every time he’s given a chance. It’s odd that you would even say that, and I find it wildly unlikely that your hyperbolic negative hypothetical has even a minuscule chance.

Martino2Buddle and The Irish Rover repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Centennial and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That'd mean four, maybe five watchable games per year-long season, plus the two games in Europe before getting bumped out of the Champs/Europa.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm simply looking at the transaction from a business perspective. There's a risk that he may bomb at the U20. There's also a big upside if he succeeds. Personally I have an addictive gambling personality, so I'd bank on 5+ goals at U20 WC for TW.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I agree that he's being unduly pessimistic, but maybe you're being unduly over-reactive to that. Players - even the greatest - have underwhelming or even duff tournaments from time to time. I expect Tim to do just fine at the U20, but it's not the end of his career, or even a career setback, if he doesn't.

Assume Palace are seriously interested and Tim bombs at the U20: that cools their interest and clears the way for Rennes. No adjustment to the hurly-burly of the Prem is needed and so he gets more PT there than he'd have got at Palace. He shines in Ligue 1 and an offer from, say Everton, comes through.

There's no telling what can happen with young players, but even him bombing in the summer won't have much impact long-term. If it does, it'll be because of how he reacts and, like you, I don't think he'll react in that kind of way.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Doing well in the U20 World Cup guarantees nothing. Look at EPB. Heck, doing well at the World Cup and at your club pre-season friendlies doesn't mean much, look at Julian Green.

Sometimes it's all in the simpatico factor. If the coach doesn't like you because you remind him of the guy who stole his first girlfriend, well, that's that.