Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #2701 kruck, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Did he glare at the coach and point to his wrist Clint Mathis style?

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As hard as it is for me, I managed to applaud this...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He glared at the coach and pointed to a family portrait.

5. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007

He’s needs another after that bs. Lol

I guess they all count.

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the man said, they all count.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Weah should have taken that penalty. Still 0-1.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the word "janky".

9. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Score goals and be dangerous, that's all he can do. Hope he showed Lennon something.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Only his 4th goal in 12 matches. I had felt he should have far more goals by now; then again a bunch of those appearances are as a super-sub.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    335' in the Scottish Premier, 3 goals, 1 assist. That is a goal per 112'. Not bad.

By comparison, Edouard has 14 goals and 6 assists in 1477' (a goal per 106').

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got 4 goals and 1 assists in 379 minutes in Scotland. That's a better way of looking at it.

frankburgers, Gacm32, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Meanwhile at PSG, Choupo-Moting finally got his 2nd goal of the season a few weeks back. So, it stands 2 goals/2 assists in 25 matches.

Gacm32 and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Went back to this post from December. Weah is clearly overperforming those expectations, with 4 goals in 410 minutes (1 every 102.5), but isn't getting nearly as many minutes as I hoped.

15. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope that next season either Timo gets to take the Choupo Moting role at PSG, or is sent off on a loan that gets him 1500-1800 minutes somewhere.

I would be perfectly fine with the role he's playing at Celtic if only it was at PSG.

16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timo got the proper shaft because the manager obviously owed a favor somewhere. There’s no universe ECM can hold a candle to Weah.

So either Tim takes the ECM place next year easily, or Tim goes somewhere that’s interested in including the best players in the squad and on the field.

Either way, Tim will be fine. This guy responds to every knock back and every challenge. And he does it with a smile and a ruthless commitment to getting on the scoresheet.

For a Jozy or similar, yeah, it can be tough to have setbacks. Not worried about this cat. Not at all. He’s a winner, and he’ll sort it.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Doing well for Celtic is not something to be easily brushed off. Yes, the SPL sucks now, and winning games with Celtic there is like shooting fish in a barrel. But Celtic carries still some prestige.

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #2718 taylor, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    I would perfer he try to do a permanent move to a club like leverkusen or whatever the equivalent is in france (i am seriously ignorant about french teams since 3? Yanks have permanetly played in france over the past decade aguedlo, that car wreck forward and ... Varney? Oh bocanegro!)

Edit;
    Forgive my french but having a young american in the bundesliga appears to be "en vogue" at the moment so it will be easier to get a transfer to bundesliga. This summer will be very interesting for young yanks and mls transfers.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bedoya says "You seem not to believe..."

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    France def seems to be a league with little Yank appearances. I'd wager Bocanegra had the most success. He made a cup final and scored in it. Bedoya was so-so. Davies had a lot of potential at his club until you know.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I am a Celtic homer. I happily and freely admit that. Over the last few weeks, I've sensed many around have soured, cooled, or however you want to phrase it on Weah's loan spell. Why? It is because his playing time decreased and he went unused in some matches? Realize that a managerial changed occurred. Realize that Lennon - who I'm not a fan of - has huge pressure on his back to maintain the momentum from Rodgers created and fans would not accept the slightest dip in form regardless of being comfortable table toppers. Not only that Lennon is trying to earn a job. He's there in the interim. Therefore, he's going to play those more experienced players. Lennon could can count on them for results. Results that the fans and boardroom deem acceptable. Weah's loan has gone exactly how I envisioned it. Highs and lows. Some games he plays. Some games he sits. But when given the opportunity, he has produced. That's what you want. From my standpoint, the loan has been a success. It's naive to think. Weah could waltz right into Celtic and be the #1 option and blow everyone out of the water. It doesn't work like that at a club like Celtic. They aren't world beaters but it's a roster chalk full of international players. I would love, love, love to see Weah have a full season on loan at Celtic. He's already learned so much, been embrace by the faithful, and has had success when he's played. Spread that out over a whole season and he can iron out some inconsistencies. Then he return to PSG or wherever, at a higher level, and be ready to produce at that level.

22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The sour turn of Weah's loan spell was fully underway under Rodgers. When Lennon came in it was more of the same.

I fail to see the value of the loan if he isn't going to get PT. That's the whole point from Weah's and PSG's perspective. He can "train with internationals" at PSG.

Loans work better when players go to clubs that have a need If Celtic have a surplus of attacking talent then it's not going to work out well (and it really hasn't IMO).

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is the same dynamic that many young players in MLS suffer from - clearly good enough for the level - but stuck behind "vets" that coaches prefer b/c they feel more secure/think they will likely keep their job more safely....also in MLS there is the salary pressure compounding matters....against "unproven" players..........

thankfully in weah's case there are a continent full of team's he can jump to and perhaps even PSG - whereas the players in MLS that this happens to are simply stuck.

As long as Weah dones't get stuck for next season in a role that doesn't allow him to play - everything's fine....4 goals in 400 minutes is pretty damn good.....all things considered.....

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's played. He's received minutes. It's not like he's been rotting away on the bench. Weah just hasn't played as much as some around these parts would have liked or think he deserves. He moved mid-season to boot. I think his loan has been a success. Celtic had a need. They needed some depth, an occasional starter, and a guy that can produce when called upon. Weah has done that. For a 19 year old that is success. He got ZERO PT at PSG. This is the most he's played as a professional. Next season, if he stays on loan at Celtic, minutes and his contribution will increase. I think there's little doubt in that.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's averaging a goal every 102 minutes and a goal contribution every 80. He has played, in sum, about 4.5 games in 3 months. I think it's fair for people to be frustrated with a lack of playing time when he produces so regularly if given opportunities.