Where the ******** are you? A Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Nov 25, 2017.

1. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBQ, BBQ, BBQ. Jack Stack Smokehouse is more of a high end BBQ spot (I know that doesn't make sense but that's what it feels like) and delicious. Arthur Bryant's is a good, order through bullet proof glass, cash only (might have changed) BBQ place right by the Negro League Hall of Fame and Gates is a local chain that is affordable and has a dynamite burnt ends (the KC specialty of BBQ) sandwich. Probably hard to find a bad BBQ place there, but other than Mexican food (which I always found better in KCK than KCMO for whatever reason) I wouldn't recommend much else. When my best friend lived here, he tried local pizza places that all sucked so hard that he eventually had to make Pizza Hut his go-to, which is downright scary to a native Chicagoan.

GHjelm repped this.
  2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Holy hell that’s frightening.

GHjelm repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Enjoy" the pizza in Scotland!

GHjelm repped this.
  4. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even worse - if you're stuck on the Kansas side of the border, that state hasn't ratified the 21st amendment (repealing alcohol prohibition). I can't think of a scarier version of hell than the state of Kansas, honestly.

5. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One of our traditions on this race around America adventure is to order the "best" local pizza the night after the race. Louisville holds the record for the absolute worst so far and I had tried a lot of bourbon before eating it. Still terrible. Best, non-Chicago style (Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan) has been Colorado. They had a surprisingly good super flat pizza at a local place in Littleton/Lakewood.

On the flip side, it'll be interesting to put KC's best bbq up against Feast and Doc Crow's in Louisville.

bunge repped this.
  6. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm glad I picked the hotel in MO. Yikes.

bunge and harrylee773 repped this.
  7. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Definitely ate Pizza Hut in the Grand Sheraton Edinburgh looking out at the castle.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  8. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our pre-race tradition (wife and I met @ the 2009 Chicago Marathon and plan a few vacations a year around races) is to have pizza or tacos, because those two are generally 'safe' pre-race options. We have the 'or' in specifically because KC showed me that you can't trust every city to have edible pizza, and tacos are harder to screw up than almost any other food out there. Strangely (for me at least- I thought they'd have great tacos), Arizona was the only place we stayed where both the pizza and the tacos were garbage.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on KC BBQ - I haven't had Louisville yet, but between St. Louis, Memphis, Atlanta and KC, KC is the only place I've found that I enjoy as much as Texas BBQ, which I have to say is best because I'm married to a Texan (but also because it's goddmn delicious).

GHjelm repped this.
  9. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Lucas Oil Stadium.
    1D8529F8-18BD-49C3-A399-83AEC15D4B03.jpeg

skinut and Mikebsiu repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You mean that is NOT Toyota Park, err Seat Geek Stadium?

skinut repped this.
  11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Geat Seek. the worlds worst specialized dating platform.

12. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunge, more Kintyre, I want to be there.

bunge repped this.
  13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Having trouble uploading images. Also, FOG.

xtomx repped this.
  14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    With the right kind of eyes you can see Jura.

[​IMG]

skinut, GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

skinut repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, you found BOTH trees that still exist in Scotland.
    Well done, sir!

You have earned yourself a Scotch (or three).

bunge repped this.
  17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Did I mention the ********ing fog @skinut?

[​IMG]

skinut and xtomx repped this.
  18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    This really is an incredibly beautiful place.

[​IMG]

Next up: Campbeltown.

skinut repped this.
  19. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm back from KC and should probably cross-post the following in the depression thread:

The presence for SKC in the area is amazing. I saw posters, street art, jerseys and hats everywhere. Their team bar, No Other Pub, is awesome. On Saturday night it was busy and lively, with a decent crowd watching the game even though they were at home (they also, somehow figured out how to get the Fire on a TV for me). The bar is right in the middle of the Power and Light bar and restaurant district. It forms the upper level of a multi-story, multi-bar complex that surrounds a city block. The interior of the block is an amazing, small, live-music venue with over-looking balconies. Inside the bar itself, there were free darts, pool, shuffleboard, and beer pong in addition to paid bowling, golf simulators and classic arcade/pinball.

We ended up there both Saturday night for the party atmosphere as well as Sunday night, after barbeque, for a laid-back drink and darts. They really have an embarrassment of riches and we're stuck with Hauptman.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  20. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The post-race Pizza from Mama Leone's was surprisingly good for a New York style. I had low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. It was easily better that the best from Louisville.

The bbq was a much tougher comparison. I asked about 10 local people which place was the best and we ended up at Q39 in midtown. Obviously the burnt ends, KC's specialty, were amazing. The other stuff gets a little more complicated. Doc Crow's in Louisville was definitely a little more high-end then Q39. That's not necessarily a good thing for BBQ, in my book. Q39 focused much more on sides and their award winning sauce, where Doc Crow's in Louisville focused completely on the meat. When it comes down to it, they're kinda hard to compare, but both equally delicious.

harrylee773 repped this.
  21. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stuck in a impatient physical rehab center quite far from home. :mad::(

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The beauty of this area is pretty astounding.

[​IMG]

skinut and harrylee773 repped this.
  23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The mussels were pretty ********ing good too. Thanks @skinut for the Black Sheep Pub recommendation.

[​IMG]

skinut repped this.
  24. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just looking at google maps for suggestions on places to go. Apparently there is a green acres Indiana. I wonder if that is worth $3 a gallon of gas?

25. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't know how far North you're going, but if possible, you shouldn't miss Skye. It's probably the best area to hike in Scotland and may be the most beautiful. Being up in the Hebrides means there is a lot fewer tourists, especially outside of Summer. Eilean Donan Castle is on the way and my vote for the most beautiful castle in Scotland. The best restaurant in Scotland is also on Skye: The Three Chimneys (although, if memory serves, you're a vegetarian. Not sure about the options there).

Skye is one of my top 5 places in the world. Damn, I need to go back.