Where the ******** are you? A Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Nov 25, 2017.

1. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cigars?

2. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Let us know how it is. My guess is the lack of suggestions is indicative of the fact everyone else is as ignorant as myself. Cuba and Venezuela are the big Latin American gaps in my passport.

3. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the hipster neighborhood of Indy with a Motorhead short on . Feel so out of plaxe. Nope found it
    IMG_20190311_150150667_LL.jpg

4. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the hipsters ask what Motorhead is just tell them it's an IPA. :D

Im currently in London wondering why the hell I left Edinburgh. This place doesn't exactly make the best first impression. Hoping for an awesome day tomorrow as the last day of my vacation.

And yes the Haggis was delicious.

GHjelm, xtomx, skinut and 1 other person repped this.
  5. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like London, but agree that Edinburgh is sooooo much better. Glad you liked the haggis.

GHjelm repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    London is the greatest city on earth, bar none. It is the entire world (except no decent Mexican food).

It can be completely overwhelming, much like New York. Hard to experience it in a day or so. I was there for several months and only just began to feel like I knew the city.
    You have travel outside of central London to find any real fun, though.

I would tell you to head to the Intrepid Fox or The Ship, both on Wardour Street, but I believe both are closed. I know Intrepid Fox is and last I was there, so was The Ship.

If you only have a day or so and want a place to go, head to the British Museum. It is one of the world's great museums and it is free (although they recommend a donation).

I ran into the actual Rosetta Stone when I was there. They were moving it for a special exhibit. I went around a corner (into an area that I learned was off limits) and ran smack into it.

The Tate is also free. Great if it is cold or raining.

Ke1n repped this.
  7. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. I was reading this like oh cool you saw the Rosetta stone, then I realized you ACTUALLY ran into it. That's great.

Second impression has been much better (aside from the weather, just got hit with a microburst) I think I will make my way to the museum to stay out of this rain for a bit. I've been through Hyde park, princess Diana memorial fountain, to Buckingham, basked in the craziness of the Brexit demonstrations near Westminster, and walked the Thames to London Bridge. Once I dry off a little I'll be back at it.

bunge and xtomx repped this.
  8. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Edinburgh has been hanging on to the number 2 spot of my personal favorite cities for two decades. There's a vibe that's hard to put into words.

xtomx repped this.
  9. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Glasgow's also a good time, on various levels.
    (Rode across town on Gangstarr's tour bus to their show. Not yer typical night, but good one.)

xtomx repped this.
  10. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    check out the Chatterbox

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Find Gordon’s Wine Bar before its too late. Don’t worry. It’s not “foo-foo”.

12. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Indianapolis? Cause I kinda hightailed it out of there this morning. Will probably go back at some point for an Indy11 game if the fire don't get their shit together soon. I want to go to one anyway. It's not a bad drive assuming you're not blocked by 2 trucks going the same speed in both lanes. Definitely want to go back when not sleep deprived. Metallica concerts aren't exactly conducive to good sleep the night after. I'll probably have One permanently cemented in my brain for a week.

13. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haggis? Isn't that made with like pig testicles? I was at a produce place this morning and saw a vegan reuben sandwhich advertised. That was almost enough to empty my stomach thinking about it.

14. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No testicles in there. Just sheep heart, lungs, OATS!, and spices cooked in the sheeps stomach. Written out it sounds terrible, the reality is much tastier.

Thanks for that museum recommendation Tom I would have not gone there otherwise and I had a great time checking out everything. Cool seeing the Rosetta Stone and all the mummies they had.

And wish I had seen that wine bar recommendation earlier. I'm back by hotel and my step counter tells me I've walked 15 miles today. Aside from food and booze I don't think I can make it anywhere else or my feet are going to fall off.

skinut and xtomx repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Haggis is better than it sounds.

Did you find my "forehead print"? [okay, there isn't one]

Walking way too much is easy to do there.

Ke1n repped this.
  16. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    yep -- live music bar with down-to-earth vibe on Massachusetts Ave, not far from the big Vonnegut mural

of the hipster-ish/New American vintage, but worth checking out: Bluebeard, Milktooth, and Shoefly Public House. Some community development-funded neighborhood spots: Cannon Ball Brewing Company, West Fork Whiskey distillery, and Unleavened Bread Cafe.

sportscrazed2 repped this.
  17. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    LIZZIE and xtomx repped this.
  18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I would NEVER eat one. Again.

20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I would NEVER eat one. Again.

Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  21. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: Oh hell no.

So Tom exactly how terrified were you when you realized you bumped into it? I think that'd send me into an anxiety attack.

bunge repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Again

bunge repped this.
  23. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugggh I love Wikipedia. Reading up on small "towns" I want to just drive to one of these places with a population of 15. Just to see what the heck it's like. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Forest,_Indiana Also how do I form my own town? I want to legalize pot by being the mayor of me town

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not at all.
    It was a shock and then all was fine!

BTW, did you enjoy any Innes & Gunn is Scotland?

I am at Monk's Pub and having my second Innes & Gunn Kindred Spirit, a whiskey aged Scottish Dry Stout.

I have enjoyed few Scotch stouts and this is the best.

Ke1n and bunge repped this.
  25. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Three cheers to Monk’s Pub.

xtomx and sportscrazed2 repped this.