Where should the next GC be played?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MoRado, Jul 17, 2009.

?

where should the next GC be played?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2011.
  1. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Canada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Costa Rica + Panama

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Guatemala + Honduras

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jamaica+ Trinidad & Tobago

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other, please name it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only you had a vast network of information at your fingertips...

http://tinyurl.com/yaksowo

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how you do that, but is nice. Every time I have a stupid question I am asking you.

3. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    The post was only meant for the person I directed it to becaue he would understand. Something tells me you're not Mexican or Mexican American, which if you're not then you wouldn't understand.

4. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't exactly next to each other. But perhaps they can do something like "the road to (insert final venue/country that it's in)".

Each groups starts off in a different section of the caribbean.

examples:
    Mexico can start in Jamaica along with Jamaica and two other teams

USA in Puerto Rico along with two others

Canada in TnT along with two other teams

Obviously the 3 host islands would get an automatic entry to ensure a better gate.

And gradualy via the knock out rounds, the matches move geographically towards the final venue.

And for those saying that caribbean teams would be destroyed, let look at some of their recent home results from World Cup Qualyfing

(I appologize if the dates are wrong)

USA vs Tnt 9/9/09 1-0 to the USA but I'll admit was a very difficult match
    USA vs Tnt 10/15/08 1-2 loss (granted it wasn't the full squad, but TnT still won)
    Jamaica vs Mexico 10/11/08 1-0 win to the reggae boyz
    Costa Rica vs Grenada 6/15/08 2-2 tie
    TnT vs El Salvador 9/9/09 1-0 win for the Soca Warriors
    TnT vs Honduras 3/28/09 1-1 (TnT gets the draw with seconds remaining)
    Jamica vs Honduras 10/15/08 1-0 win for Jamaica
    Mexico vs TnT 10/14/09 2-2 (Mexico rested most of the starters, but still an impressive result)
    Jamica vs Canada 11/19/08 3-0 win
    Puerto Rico vs Honduras 6/15/08 2-2 tie

A Caribbean Gold Cup (with a Confederations Cup spot on the line) could be more interesting than people would think. Especially if the caribbean teams could pull off similiar results to those listed above.

5. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would like to see how USA's "A" team will fare off in a Gold Cup held entirely in Mexico. I dont think they would even qualify to the second round.:cool:

1 person likes this.
  6. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Stay on topic, This thread is about where it should be held, not how a team would do. You know those kind of comments are the ones that derail most if not all threads, so stop hijacking threads. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    Ya that would definately be a sight to see. But would they even send the "A" team or would it be the "D" team?

8. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you tried.

1 person likes this.
  9. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    the next godl cup could be held in my back yard! :D

10. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That shouldn't be a problem for them. See the 1999 Confederations Cup.

Now that this issue as been addressed. Back to the topic at hand, which is where the Gold Cup should be held. Regardless of who we all support, the one thing we all have in common is the fact that we all want a change in venue for the tournament. Whether it's the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, or that one guys backyard, that's we are here to debate.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Great post.

1 person likes this.
  12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Like it! And the finals is played in Puerto Rico, so Jack still gets his US soil requirement :)

13. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I mean no disrespect but that is a ridiculous idea. Its hard enough to host it in 1 country let alone several. You have the normal logistics problems with any event and you add in international border crossings and it would just be a mess. Lets just keep it simple :)

14. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was a sane and safe idea. It would definately be risky. It'll take the higher ups in CONCACAF some courage to pull it off. But if they did, it would make for a very interesting Gold Cup.

15. destruktion

destruktion BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 30, 2006
    Woodland,CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it should be held in Canada, to grow the sport more.
    Play one group in Toronto
    Play a second group in Montreal
    Play the third group in Vancouver, there you have a tourney hosted in Canada.

16. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I think its going to be a while before FIFA changes the rules in regards
    to Gold Cup . The american soccer association reminds me of there track
    athletes , used drugs to enhance there athletic ability , its the same way
    in concacaf they manipulate things and bend all the rules to have it their
    way . I support the mexican federation and all who wants to host a Gold
    cup Tourney . The americans are truly eagles , anything it sees it wants ,if
    it gets it , when it drops it , its finish ! power to the people of the Americas
    excluding USA . :p

17. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What in the world are you talking about?

18. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    [​IMG]

19. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone seems to forget one thing that the USA is the only place that has enough ethnic diversity to draw crowds. The US will host the Gold Cup next year and every year after that. We hav the bucks and the facilities. :)

20. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah and mexico dont have the bucks and the facilities thats why mexico has never hosted a world cup (or two) or olimpic games right...........

but dont worry gold cup is a worthless tourney so the USSF can enjoy it forever and ever...........

the day this tournament becomes a real one (if by some miracle it happens) like the ones the rest of the world have,that day im going to want mexico to host the event,right now i dont even waste my time watchin it on tv.

21. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    See?That's the type of comment that hate to read from American posters.You Yanks should be as pissed as everyone else that this thing is only staged in your backyard.Why not spread it around and share it with the other countries in the region?Why do you guys(US posters) keep holding on to this thing so much as if it's entirely yours?Quit being selfish!Give the other members a little something.CONCACAF is the only confederation that doesn't rotate its regional event.That attitude makes me sick to be honest.

22. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a US poster and I'm pissed. I'd like to see the Gold Cup in the Caribean. But I'd settle for Canada. I posted my crazy plan for that a page to two back in this thread.

And most of us US posters, Yanks, etc.. feel the same way as I do.

23. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    I highly doubt Canada would get to host the whole thing but there's been talk of them hosting a group or at least supplying a venue for one or two of the matchdays. We all know CONCACAF just wants make money off this tournament by targeting ex pat communities and Toronto has the largest population of Jamaicans outside of Jamaica plus a lot of Trinis as well. A group in Toronto with Canada, T&T, Jamaica, and whoever else would draw well. If it were in Montreal I know Haiti would draw well there.

24. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I can't agree with that,some US members who had their say in this thread or any other thread that had to do with the Gold Cup's hosting aren't much in favor of a host rotation.They keep bringing on the same stuff about ''we have people from all over the partipating countries in the US'' and yet some of the stadiums are almost empty for some of the matches(especially matches not involving Mexico) as seen on television.

25. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said most US posters don't agree with the current rotation and you're retort was that some support it? Looking back at the thread the majority of US posters have supported some form of rotation. The Gold Cup probably does better in the US financially and in terms of attendance than it would anywhere else, but there are reasons other than money to have it rotated. The demographics and economics of CONCACAF are unique but I'd still support a rotation away from the US using joint bids in Central America and the Caribbean. I don't think anyone truly contends a Haiti-Guatemala matchup would make more money or get a larger crowd in Jamaica or Panama than it would in say Miami.