Where is Twellman?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Lithium858, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha, another one of these threads! Everyone is tired of this but, when will Taylor Twellman get called up again? I think he still can be a force to recken with and I also think he'd team up well with McBride.

[Let the bashing begin...]

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is he healthy?
    He'll likely get another few chances, but he's hardly grabbed those he's been given by throat thus far.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman's healthy again though he hasn't quite got into the scoring act just yet (4 goals in 1240 minutes).

He was never one of Bruce's favorites even when he was scoring goals by the bucketload for the Revs so it's not shock to see him out of Bruce's plans when his scoring is more or less normal for an MLS forward right now.

The finishing touch has deserted him a bit and that really is his biggest asset when he's on. When he's got it going, he's easily the best finisher we have and he does the work necessary to get the chances.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Dempsey comes back (very soon now). Nicol has switched to a one forward setup with Dempsey out, and the one game I saw the Dempsey/Twellman combo up top they were simply inspired dismantling the Fire 3-1 in a game that could have easily been 5-1 or 6-1.

He was excellent in his last game for the Nats though: the catalyst for the late goal to beat Mexico 1-0.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    He's a good player in bad form.....

5. sandman012

sandman012 Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Providence
    Twellman's in bad form right now ... his passing has been horrendous, so many turnovers.

6. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Here are the "chances" that you talk about for Twellman:

11/02 vs. El Salvador (84 min)
    01/03 vs. Canada (last 23 min, entering after the score was 4-0, US)
    02/03 vs. Argentina (45 min)
    06/03 vs. New Zealand (88 min, paired with Jovan up front)
    06/03 vs. Turkey (last 11 min)
    06/03 vs. Brazil (last 7 min)
    04/04 vs. Mexico (last 24 min)

My point is this, he has been given very limited chances to make this case to play for the US. Basically, 2 full games, and the one against New Zealand was with a midfield of Klein, Stewart, Armas, and Lewis. Why is it that Armas plays/played EVERY FRIENDLY we have had, but someone like Twellman gets these limited chances? He either comes in to mop up (like vs. Canada), or to try for a miracle goal in the final minutes of a game. He has very LIMITED experience with "A-list" players, and his last game (vs. Mexico) he was a big factor is us getting the win. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Some players get chance after chance, and all sorts of playing time, under Arena (see Armas, Kirovski) while others get a few minutes here and there, at the end of a game, and that is it.

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Twellman is doing quite well at becoming a very effective scorer in MLS and a complete non-entity on the international level.

In other words, he's the new Jason Kreis.

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was very good in the final minutes against Mexico and almost got a goal. It seems like he would hook up well with Hejduk or Martino. Bruce seems to team him up with players he can't connect with him so it's hardly his fault that he doesn't have that much success. Look at last night's game with McBride. We all know he is a world class player but he didn't do well cause the midfield didn't do their job well enough for him to do anything.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Twellman is doing quite well at becoming a very effective scorer in MLS and a complete non-entity on the international level. In other words, he's the new Jason Kreis..."

Actually, the situations respective of both players (Twellman and Kreis) are a good bit different, so it's unfair and innaccurate to compare them so casually.

FWIW, this isn't the sort of match where Twellman would expect to be called up, at least not yet, and considering his recent run of play in MLS after returning from a lengthy injury (which has been left wanting somewhat), it's not surprising he didn't get called up... at present.

The Magpie

10. Beethovieff

Beethovieff New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Twellman has been awful this season. The first 7 games or so he was getting a few chances per game, but couldn't finish. Then he pulled his hammy. Upon his return he had a brace, but got red carded on a stupid foul at the end. He missed a game and has not exactly been firing on all cylinders since. This is not the time when Twellman should be called up. I wouldn't rule out a call-up in the future, though. He needs to get his act together first.

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

I remember that game against Canada. He was served a cross from the right side on a lopsided break. He should have touched it once to settle the ball and launched a BOOYAKKA shot upper 90. Guess what, his first touch let him down and the ball went into touch for a goal kick. One incident yes, but as a forward, in a friendly, trying to prove yourself, you MUST put those away.

End of story.

12. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    I actually like Twellman, but sports is "What have you done for me lately" and what has Twellman done recently to warrent getting called up?

13. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so his injury slowed him down big time this year and has yet to find his "form" in MLS but do you think he will be called up for the next game against El Salvador?

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie Stewart's on line 5.

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Sadly, with the utter lack of depth we have up top I wouldn't be surprised if Twellman gets at least into camp for the ES game.

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    06/03 vs. New Zealand (88 min, paired with Jovan up front)
    06/03 vs. Turkey (last 11 min)
    06/03 vs. Brazil (last 7 min)

Also of note is that he played both these games while suffering from "walking pneumonia," the later in heat that was close to 100 degrees in St. Etienne that day. Wasn't diagnosed until after he returned home from the Confederations Cup.

The Magpie

17. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman will get his chances, I'm sure of it. He's a quality finisher with a great workrate and a pretty good aerial game, and he's fairly good with his back to goal. I am a big fan of his.

That being said, he's not really done much this season to warrant a call-up.

Comparing him to Armas is apples and oranges--one's a dmid (competing with Zavagnin, Mastroeni & Mulrooney for time), and the other's a striker (competing with McBride, Mathis, Donovan, Ching, Wolff, EJ and Kirovski). It's not a surprise that he's had a tough time seeing the pitch...he's got to make the most of his chances when he gets them (Mexico game was a good start).

With the injuries we're dealing with now...it's possible we'll see him at least in camp for ES. But whether it's this game or down the road, I'm convinced he'll contribute. I don't know if he makes the 06 squad, but he'll be a part of us getting there.

18. Chromeknee

Chromeknee New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Reno
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ching is fit, I think he will get the nod. McBride should also play, even though his last match was far from a stellar performance. He should excell against ES, whose players are smaller than the Jamaicans. With Wolff, Mathis, and Donovan also in the wings, I think Twellman may have a long wait to be on the starting 11. But we all know how it goes; how injuries at the worst times can cause Arena to dig deeper into the player pool. And if he has to dig down to pick Twellman, it certainly will not be anywhere near the bottom of the barrel. We have more depth now than ever, and if an injury does occur (or better said, when there is an injury) the quality of the replacement does not significantly drop off. MLS is to thank for that.

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman has had is shot but needs to finish. Ching scored in when he had is shot. Twellman will get more chances but has to score to be called up

20. SoundgardenSoccerbal

May 24, 2004
    Los Angles
    Everyone sould remember this. Watch when twellman scores his first goal with the nats he is going to score so many we won't know what to do with all he needs is that crucial first goal i'm sure of it . we should call him for the next game in front of his home fans and give him a penalty or something. ;)

21. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I forgot that the next game will be in Boston. It would be the perfect time for him to score a goal. He has a real home-field advantage.

22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the game today, it was announced that no one from NE or DC would be called into camp. So no Taylor this time - also no Earnie.

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The real knock on Twellman is not that he hasn't scored. It's that, except mexico, he hasn't been able to get the separation needed to score the goal. Until he scores, he remains the Second Coming of Kreis.

24. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    They actually said that Taylor and Earnie were on the injury replacement list. Cobi got in off of that list last time so it could happen.

25. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope it does casuse the US can use a target player like him up front.