Where In The World Are Former Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Aug 10, 2008.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yallop if the GM in Fresno, right? They just lost their first ever game 3-2 to fellow expansion team Las Vegas

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It's nothing that a Scott Sealy signing can't fix.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1828 falvo, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Not bad for a first game. Both teams looked slightly better than college teams but I’m sure they will improve as they play more games together. I remember Danny Barrera when he played at UCSB over 8 years ago. I’m surprised he is still playing.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I saw a bunch of those Fresno FC folks at Avaya during the MNU match (ref tickets are normally in the visiting team’s area) and it seemed to me they were cheering for Minnesota.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Freddy Adu playing?

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From the lineup I saw, Adu didn’t even make the bench. Not sure if he is injured, suspended , not in form or released.

mjlee22 repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read Freddy Adu’s wiki page. It seems he signed with Las Vegas on March 15th so maybe he isn’t eligible to play a league game yet.

mjlee22 repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1833 xbhaskarx, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    What, he is absolutely eligible. Why would signing on March 15 mean he wasn't eligible?

Partida signed with Reno on the 13th, Marie signed with the Quakes on the 16th and was immediately loaned to Reno. Both were on the bench "eligible to play a league game" for Reno on the 17th.
    How do you people even come up with this stuff...

Adu wasn't starting for them in the preseason, in fact he barely played, not sure why it would be surprising that he's not starting now that their season has begun...
    Also not sure why it would be surprising given Adu's decade-long history of signing with random teams and then not playing very much.

Vegas started three midfielders. Carlos Alvarez has been a USL regular in recent years and played in MLS before that. Daigo Kobayashi was a regular in MLS for Vancouver and the Revs until last year. Calderon appears to have come from Liga MX. What the hell has Freddy Adu done in the last half-decade to suggest he should be starting over any of those guys?

Edit:
    https://i.imgur.com/EmX5qso.gifv

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1834 falvo, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Initially , when I first posted I didn’t know because he didn’t play. I’m assumed then he would not have been eligible or ready play in their first game because he had just signed two or three days prior. Either way he didn’t play.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

If you're wondering why Freddy Adu didn't play, note that this is what he currently looks like.

mjlee22 repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Looks like a Doyle signing from the good ol’ days!

:D

mjlee22 repped this.
  12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You CAN care less?

I couldn’t care less... ;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok I deleted..

In other news former Quakes Mexican player Leonardo Cuellar’s son is now head man of Mexico’s U20 Women’s national team!

Mexico's father-and-son coaching duo -

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG
    what you talking bout Willis?

bsman and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he went from "Much Adu About Nothing" to "Too Much Adu".
    But, you sure that's not Kena Thompson from SNL?
    [​IMG]

xbhaskarx and mjlee22 repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1842 falvo, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    I am glad Chris Dangerfield made the Hall of Fame for his time , commentating , dedication and staying in the area.

It’s not a knock on him but as I recall though, there were a lot better players from the NASL era who haven’t made it yet but who did much more than he did.

Either way , congratulations Chris!

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, at least he is no longer hosting a GoFundMe page so that he and his fiancée can pay for their wedding. That may not be a bad gig - marketing manager for Bethel Music.

19. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Freddy seemed welcomed to a good burger or two....

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to believe Freddy is turning 29 in June-2018. That means right now, he should be just past his physical peak (age 27).
    This photo shows that he appears to be closer to the true age of 37.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan opens up about leaving San Jose Earthquakes for LA Galaxy

“At that time of my life, and I have spoken openly about my battles with depression, I was in a pretty bad place in my life,” Donovan said. “It was important to me to be close to my family. For people who are seeing it from purely a purely sporting perspective, I can understand they were disappointed and upset, and I can understand their anger. I always had to do and have chosen to do what’s important for me personally, and that’s putting my health and well-being before anybody else’s opinion.”

These were Donovan’s first public comments revealing the true reason for his exit from San Jose, but it was not a surprising admission for a man who has been very open about his efforts to address his mental health in recent years. He arrived in San Jose as an 18 year old, and was only 22 when he played his last game for the Black and Blue back in 2004, still to reach his prime as a player. Those four years in San Jose were memorable and shaped his character. He found it very difficult to face his former teammates during that first year in LA.

“It was hard at first,” Donovan said. “This was where I grew up so this was such a part of me in a real way. This was more first opportunity, so I felt this connection with the city and the people here, and I always wanted to reciprocate. So when I was in LA, it was hard every time we played the Earthquakes. After that, you sort of acclimate and it becomes more normal, but the first year was hard for sure.”

“It’s nice to be back in this city,” Donovan shared. “Every time I come back, I forget I miss it and how much I enjoy being here. I have a different perspective having been down in Mexico and seeing how excited my teammates are at being in the United States.

“I’m mostly excited to play, to be honest,” Donovan continued, “but I absolutely understand why some people are not happy about the ways things unfolded. I would be the same, and I can’t blame them for that. I hope people remember that for four years of my life, I gave everything I had to this city, the fans, the club, and this team. In the old days at Spartan Stadium, we would used to shower and change in a little portable next to the stadium, and at every home game, we would spend probably two hours afterward signing autographs and connecting with the fans. I’ve never connected with a fan base in that way ever since, and I hope there were some good memories.”

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. falvo

falvo Member+