Where In The World Are Former Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Aug 10, 2008.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your memory is going. Adam score several clutch goals for us. We just didn't make very good use of him.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember very well. He scored 4 times in 2013 and then he scored 2 more goals in his last 3 years with the club.....or what is on average 0.66 goals a season.....

upload_2018-2-22_15-5-6.png

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    6 goals in around 2300 minutes with the Quakes, which would project to about 8 goals in a full season's worth of starting minutes. Not bad.

DotMPP, markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Big deal. After his initial tear , it took him three years to score two more goals. I am pretty sure he wouldn’t have scored many more had he stayed. It’s good that he is with the Crew and I’m happy for him. Let him stay there.

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He played a total of about 200 minutes in the sum of two of those years. You can't knock a guy for not scoring when he's on the bench. Best way to evaluate him is to add up the minutes for all the years, add up the goals, then look at productivity, and that shows that he's reasonably productive.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah ok. Wishing him well.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Another disrespected former Quake "full international". Maybe we didn't respect him enough because we never actually got his name right. It's Marcos after all. But sorry, Marcos, you don't have "explosive" speed. Good speed, and good engine, but IMO one of his weaknesses is the lack of a 5th gear. He runs a lot in 4th gear, and it's a good 4th gear, but doesn't have that last bit of explosiveness IMO.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-lafc-urena-20180222-story.html

9. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah but how much money did he make? Close to league minimum, therefore he must have been horrible.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could have made better use of Adam. He looks like a completely different (and better) player with the Crewless. BUT, we didn't make the best use of many of our payers because we insist on such a moribund style of play. That will be different this year, and no doubt better! I'm pumped.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol Jahn is still crap. What is wrong with this place when falvo is making the only sensible comments...
    Like half Jahn's goals 6 goals with the Crew have been garbage or luck. In two seasons with the Crew he has less than 800 minutes. When they were awful in 2016 he did okay, but last year when they were good he did almost nothing. Even the Crew beating Atlanta in the playoffs somehow being credited to Jahn is a joke, did anyone here actually watch that game? It finished 0-0 with the Crew winning on PKs, the credit goes almost entirely to Steffen who stood on his head. Jahn just happened to take the deciding PK, after coming in and playing one whole minute. I expect him to once again be in the 3-400 minutes played range, if that. If Jahn somehow scores three or more goals this season I'll never talk crap about him again... and I fully expect to mock the next Jahn-circlejerk.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1787 JazzyJ, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    We've already been over this multiple times. No one said Jahn is a world-beater. But he is not "crap" - big guy with good feet, good in the air, good in possession. Every forward gets some mixture of garbage or luck goals and skill goals and everything in-between. And you can't knock a guy for not producing while he's sitting on the bench. We can say well he wasn't good enough to get more playing time, but we can also say (baed on historical data) that he would have produced reasonably well given more minutes.

So once again, when there is a difference of opinion, time to look at it objectively.

Player-----------------Goals/90
    Marcos Ureña------ ~.25
    Danny Hoesen----- ~.25
    Quincy Amarikwa- ~.24
    Adam Jahn ---------- ~.35

Now let's look at value, where we factor in salary.

Player---------------Goals/(90 x salary in multiples of 100k)
    Marcos Ureña------ ~.083
    Danny Hoesen----- ~.05
    Quincy Amarikwa- ~.08
    Adam Jahn ---------- ~.35

So yeah, maybe not as a starter, but I'd be happy to have Jahn back as inexpensive forward depth.

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Every forward gets some mixture of garbage or luck goals"

At least you're not denying that's what they were, since we know you watched each one (because you posted them all here :rolleyes:)...

Stats can only tell you so much, for example based on the above, Hoesen, Urena, and Amarikwa are identical (in both goals/90 and factoring in salary). So this season should Stahre be dividing minutes equally between Hoesen and Amarikwa, despite the fact that based on a simple eye test the latter barely qualifies as a professional soccer player?

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I have seen most of Jahn's MLS goals. Some are more garbage-like, some are quality goals, just like any forward. IIRC most of his goals with the Quakes were, reasonably, skill goals.

So far Hoesen has a much higher assist rate than Quincy, so no I wouldn't split time equally between Hoesen and Amarikwa, just based on the data alone. Amarikwa may be questionable as a "soccer player" but he's got physical skills that other players don't have. The eye test has value, but can get you into trouble because it brings in your personal bias, whereas "ball" (the numbers) don't lie.

15. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop making sense

davez repped this.
  16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Some of that keen Doyle horse trading skill?

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well he was an executive at Mustang Soccer right? Seems logical that he'd trade for horses.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unlike Europe, and in most parts of the world, players begin their pro careers at 16, 17 or 18. This is the equivalent to our High School Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. Most North American student athletes (as well as their parents) ambitions is just getting a college scholarship to a top school. When you go on to college and get out at 22 or 23 years of age , most players either make it or end their playing days right away.

If you are a top college MLS draft pick and you get out of school between the ages of 22-23/24, the time window to make it as a top or even average player isn't very long. If you don't become a starter by the time you turn 25, its probably time to look for something else. I knew Hallisey at Cal. He was a good player but not really suited for the professional game. I recall seeing JJ Koval at Stanford and he was ok but also not really a pro level type player. After Dom cut JJ , he most likely saw the writing on the wall....

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1796 JazzyJ, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    I have heard this expression, I think from TT, but he may have gotten it from somewhere else "first, love the game". He says one of the reasons he juggles at halftime is to get himself back into that mentality where he really loves the game - just for a moment, amidst all of the pressure and seriousness of the game.

It wouldn't surprise me that some of these guys were really good at soccer, but didn't necessarily love it. That makes it a lot easier to walk away. When JJ says he hasn't watched a soccer match since he can't remember, that suggests to me either he never loved it, or it just brings up bad feelings for him.

My own very small potatoes example: I played Little League when I was 7-9 or so and got decent enough to make the all-star team and stuff, but didn't really enjoy it. I didn't enjoy the games as much as I felt stressed out about them. So I told my parents I didn't want to play anymore. Turned out that I wound up playing a few more years after sitting out a year, and did pretty well, but still never really loved it, and didn't miss it at all after I quit. Too bad it wasn't soccer :). I might have really loved that, if how I feel about the game now is any indication.

mjlee22 repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1797 falvo, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    I could see how JJ Koval could be a little bitter towards the game. He has been doing it his whole life and was probably a star throughout youth, HS and college ball.Getting drafted high and playing in MLS must have been thrilling but getting released after 2 seasons and playing in the USL must have been a total letdown for him.

I know there seems to be a lot support for the USLand they have made incredible strides but I still don't think its a great way for many players to make a living and that may be another reason on why he quit. When you divide a budget of $400k between 20-23 players, just in doing the math, I doubt most players can make ends meet.I hope the clubs are at least playing the players rents.

23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read Bobby Watshaw’s book and you’ll get a pretty good idea of what he and Koval went thru.

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003