Where In The World Are Former Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preki was a former Quake????;)

4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You are correct, not a Quake.
    1994-95 San Jose Grizzlies, '95 MVP

DotMPP repped this.
  5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Not such terrible news. Beita entered free agency with the thought that he'd take the best offer. He has a championship with TFC and probably doesn't mind moving on to the next challenge. Too bad it's LA though.

7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, that's what I meant.
    Otherwise, I'm happy for Beita to get as much money as possible. Just wish he wouldn't get it in LA

8. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, now someone will probably start a LAFC thread here.............oh.

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1687 falvo, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    The original Quakes founding owner , Milan Mandaric bought and founded the Grizzlies in 1993 wanting to put a team in MLS and brought Preki back from Europe. I remember reading specifically in the Mercury that he said he didn’t come back for the MLS startup but that is exactly what he did. He even listed San Jose as his hometown and I saw him at the Almaden Brit many times.

Then when MLS came forth with their guidelines on how it should be a single entity league , Mandaric balked at being an owner/operator mostly because he didn’t want to invest his money into a league that made money for his opponents. In retrospect , looking back and considering how so much favoritism and animosity has been shown for some teams and cities over others since the inception of the league, I don’t really blame Milan for not wanting to make the investment.

bsman repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
  12. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
  13. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    I went to several Grizzles games. They were not a particularly good indoor team, but Preki was arguably the best player in that league. I remember one night when they were down a couple of goals with a minute or two left on the clock. Being like hockey, players could be sent to the penalty box for a couple of minutes for certain infractions and the Grizzles had two players in the box, so they were playing 3 x 5. Preki managed to score, even being two men down. That brought one player out of the penalty box, so it was 4 x 5. He scored again to tie the game (plus get the other guy out of the penalty box). I don't remember if that league was sudden death OT or full OT periods, but I do remember he scored the winner on a free kick in OT. I doubt Steve Zungul (who is considered, by virtually everyone, the best to have ever played the indoor version of the game) ever did anything like that.

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tacoma Stars (MISL) were the first club Preki played for outside of Yugoslavia. The coach of the Stars saw him playing in a tournament there and signed him in 1985. I went to many Stars games and so had the pleasure of seeing Preki play on numerous occasions. I thought he was perhaps the best player in the league at that time, not only being a great goal scorer, but, a great assist man.

DotMPP repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zungul was more a power forward who relied on smarts, some speed and strength. Preki had great dribbling skills , finesse and moves that Steve Zungul could never do.

I never saw them playing together but I think they were teammates in Tacoma. I never really cared or followed the indoor game all that much but they both together must have been dynamic to watch.

16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zungul and Preki for Tacoma.

Zungul and Godfrey Ingram playing for the Quakes.
    [​IMG]

falvo repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better quality video of the Stars best year featuring their Fab Four of Zungul, Preki, Godfrey Ingram and Gary Heale.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From what I recall, the MISL was sort of a continuation of the old NASL. When the outdoor league folded, all players had was the indoor game and many ex NASL players flocked to the indoor game. Looking back, I think indoor hurt the outdoor game somewhat. I didn’t understand the reasoning at the time on why the indoor game was so popular but I’m glad it died. Either way , it would have been great seeing Preki & Zungul on the same outdoor playing field as they would have been dynamic in any league.

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O
    Duh, the scores were usually higher than hockey games?!?!? Impatient soccer ignorant 'muricans latched onto this game like they do arena pointy ball!

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1697 falvo, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    No you don't really understand what I meant by reasoning. My point was there was no reason on why the indoor game should have overtaken the outdoor version of soccer.

Fast forwarding 30 years, we have pretty much seen the death of the human pinball game and the outdoor game is doing very well. This just shows you there wasn't much place in the mainstream for the sport. Same can be said for the Arena League American Football.

The NASL provided a legacy for the game and the youth which is still evident today but the MISL and commissioner Earl Foreman saying he “didn’t give two ***** about outdoor soccer” did nothing for the game and it’s players.

21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh...

How about, "there was no competition for the indoor game"?

Besides being more exiting to the uninformed viewer, there was nothing but the obscure "Soccer Made in Germany" on the TV for someone to see the outdoor game?

Besides the World Cup coverage which lasts a few weeks every 4 years, born and bread Americans had no access to the game.

Contrast that to now, where you can see just about any league on the world on your TV and the US indoor game no longer has any appeal...

22. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Re: Baca.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club: