Alert: Where do you stand 2 years on?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Wenger out?

1. yes

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. no

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Really? I don't think there's a single club in that bracket that would hire him now. And even those clubs don't pay managers 10MM GBP per year, at least I'm pretty sure that most of them don't.

2. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I don't watch enough soccer outside the prem (these days) to know which manangers' jobs are safe, but whatever we think of Wenger, outside of Munich, Madrid, Barca, and the 5-10 truly elite clubs, every team in the world would take Wenger in a minute.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Side point does anyone want him to sign here?

4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will certainly be interesting, because all the stuff that we all b*tch and moan and complain about here in this very forum regarding Wenger will certainly be either debunked or validated if he manages somewhere else next season.

I'm not naive enough to think other clubs don't value what Arsenal has had in terms of success over the last 6-7 seasons. Financial and footballing success and stability?? Most will say bring it on.

But what about all the other stuff? No Tactics. Outdated training methods. No rotation of players. Runs players into the ground. Is all of that real, or just perceived through our own hyperscrutiny?

We shall see.

5. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Never. I can't think of a single club that's happy with their current manager who'd want to dump him for Wenger. Just to pick a name at random, do you think Everton want Arsene Wenger over Ronald Koeman? I don't.

If Wenger really does want to manage post-Arsenal, I think his best hope is that the usual manager turnover will create an opening at a 25-50 level club (Everton, Lyon, Intermilan, etc), and if he does take a job like that he won't have nearly as much power as he has at Arsenal.

6. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger won't manage in England next year unless he stays at Arsenal. You can bank on that right now.

7. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah but does anybody actually believe that Wenger would bring that to a new club? A club with less structural or financial power than Arsenal, and where Wenger's competitive advantages have dissipated long ago?

8. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure there are executives at many clubs who believe Wenger could bring that to a new club. Right or wrong.

Look no further than Arsenal's board. You think that's a room full of seasoned, savvy footballing minds?

9. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm not suggesting that any team will dump their manager for Wenger, though I don't think that's impossible.

I was just thinking along the lines of AC Milan, Villareal, Marseilles, for example, would take Wenger in a minute.

And when Madrid dump Zidane in a couple years because he hasn't won every conceivable trophy, Wenger would be right at the top of their list.

10. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    No, but for them it's a matter of keeping, the status quo, ie not firing the manager. Let's say that City sacks Guardiola or he quits. If I'm Lyon or AC Milan do I really think he'll bring me the CL, because he's been successful at prior clubs? Of course not, those other clubs have way more resources than I do. In his case they may want to hire him anyway but the expectations are completely different.

I can't see the upside for hiring Wenger. It'll probably be somebody like Leicester, where he's preferred to Neil Warnock and Alan Pardew. If he wants that job he can have it.

11. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I don't think those clubs pay the managers 10mm GBP put together.

How many NFL clubs are looking to hire Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Jon Gruden, Jimmy Johnson, Brian Billick? For me, Gruden is the only one with a prayer of getting a job, and even that's a pretty slim chance.

12. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we call the board? Seriously. I know I can call my elected officials and complain to them about politics, but is there like an Arsenal voice of the fan hotline??

Please take the contract off the table!!!! Don't sign da ting!!!!

13. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    You may be right about that, but Wenger is not going to be short job offers or money were he to leave and if the stars align and he ends up at Monaco, PSG, Barca, Madrid (or some Chinese or Saudi club that are willing to throw money at him) he'll be making a ton of dough.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Wenger to China wouldn't shock me, or to France as a full time commentator. Look, despite our opinion of him there are many IMHO who see his "issues" at Arsenal as having too much responsibility and should he be hired elsewhere he'll function within a more well structured club. I would LOVE for him to win CL with another club cause franky the board here are morons

15. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's the board that's kept us from winning the CL! :ROFLMAO:

(Sorry Dutch, I couldn't resist!)

DutchCane repped this.
  16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  17. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, I think we disagree a little bit but it's mostly just quibbles. He can clearly get another job somewhere if he wants one. The stature, the money, and the role of his new job is really up in the air.

The thing is, what does this have to do with us? Well, we're in the middle of a drama we don't necessarily want to be in. Wenger's real adversaries are us, the greater or lesser football intelligent Arsenal supporters. And the ball is Wenger's reputation and perceived competence. More than success or failure in terms of Arsenal winning trophies, Wenger is determined to defend himself as being in the top tier of managers all time, ie in the same category as Clough, SAF, Cruyff, whoever, at least in his own mind or in the press.

That's where all this business about how all the other clubs want Wenger and he'll be managing somewhere next year, yada yada blah blah comes from. When push comes to shove it's not really that important. Let's say Real wants to hire Wenger, they can have him. Or if they don't, he can work for Boro, or Monaco, or do commentary on French television. Whatever it is, is not our problem.

I know that Wenger being an institution, there's so much of our lives that overlap with the period of Wenger's management. And so the world is going to look a little different when he's gone, and maybe some people are afraid of that. Be that as it may, I think we just have to let it go. Even besides the lack of football success for Arsenal, even the drama itself is just not interesting any more.

DutchCane repped this.
  18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, he's not gonna move up in the football world. There are maybe half a dozen teams that are bigger than Arsenal and he's not getting any of those jobs. (Barca, RM, Bayern, City, Chelsea, MU, maybe Juve). If he gets a job it's going to be for a lot less money. (His salary puts him in the top 5 in the world.) The club he signs for won't be striving to win anything, it will be striving for stability and consistency.

darcgun, bigredfutbol and DutchCane repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is right, and perhaps he knows this and his pride isn't quite ready to accept that if he wants to stay in the game, he'll need to take a step down in order to do so.

Five years ago, he could have made a lateral move to another big club with resources and ambitions. I think at his age, age, with the last decade increasingly defining him, that window has closed. His only shot at going out on top is to retire at Arsenal, and he's not ready to retire yet.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    **waves**

Romfordray, darcgun and thebigman repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may he right but I hope not!! I still feel like a good move for his pride would be a nat team i.e. France. But I also think he may not fancy that much because of the lack of day-to-day with the players.

bigredfutbol and mebeSajid repped this.
  22. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    wenger's ego is the issue. he says himself he "built" Arsenal, so he's sitting in his pet project.

he has a real life daughter, Arsenal is his second child.

and he says himself he has no hobbies outside football, so he's well withing his comfort zone.

23. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Since if he stays, it's your best chance of getting above us.until your new ground's revenues kick in.

24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i support the protests. clearly something needs to change, and we won't change without some action.

25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    The board is a huge issue here never did I say its all the boards fault maybe reading is not your strong point