Alert: Where do you stand 2 years on?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Wenger out?

1. yes

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. no

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The last thread was 2 years ago, I am curious as to people's opinion now we have won 2 fa cups but, at the same time, not been close to winning the league or getting past the second champions league round

Wenger in my opinion has not adressed the 'usual' issue up top, bought in any kind of cover for coq and has shown the same tactical naivety with late substitutions and poor balance that he has for the previous baron years

I feel there is a real lack of progress at the club, and I really admire what arsene has done, but surely his time should be up by now? If u are realistic, you would say we have no chance of a major trophy this year and have already lost a group game in the CL to a very poor side

So get voting and explain why...

I hope @antifan doesn't mind this but I wonder if the decision will be closer now or a landslide?

2. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not, unless it is for a manager that Wenger has personally groomed, or is already of top, top quality.

thebigman repped this.
  3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt that our future with Wenger at the club is static. 3rd or 4th, round of 16, compete in the cups. Holes will go unfilled, injuries will pile up, money will pile up, prices will go up. It's a holding pattern until he decides to go.

Fifty, ArsenalJake and thebigman repped this.
  4. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's about how I feel at this time. I just don't see Wenger being able to get over the hump and win the league or the CL. Seems the game has passed him by. Arsenal are a very soft club that lacks intensity and focus.

I think Wenger probably only has a few more years as a manager before retiring. I guess keep him on until then. I don't think I would enjoy seeing him get sacked even though it might help the club to push on.

ArsenalJake, thebigman and darcgun repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's alot closer this year so far....

6. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    luke warm. we play both crosses and centrally, and we have more bollocks as a team than we used to. we need players like Gab who don't take shit, not pussies like in the Cesc/RVP times. that said, itr's not perfect, namely transfers, but i think it's more complex than Wenger ********ed up. i reckon we went for players, just he was quiet about it. So he can sty for now, he just needs to continue the tactical/temperament improvements.

NorthBank and thebigman repped this.
  7. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I'm not sure. I'll give him until next year this time. If we do hold in this pattern for this season and there is no significant action to attempt a remedy in January or next summer then it's time for him to move on.

He's done a job in shepherding us through the stadium deal and will always be a legend. But he's currently in what his 4th squad build or so? While there are some prize pieces (Ozil, cech, Alexis, kos, bellarin), it doesn't look as competitive as we'd expect at this point despite the money spent and in reserve. Either he's not willing to use more of it or the club is ineffective at using it. In any case, his record as of late is good but unspectacular for me: in 10 seasons it will have been 2 FA cups, one CL semifinal, and two half-challenges for the title. Not terrible, but the record coupled with the seeming lack of ambition means it is probably just about time for fresh blood unless there is some great turn around this year or some ambitious signings next summer.

thebigman repped this.
  8. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    I've pretty much lowered my expectations for the club completely. Wenger is clearly leaving the club when he wants. If we can win a few more domestic cups in that time then I'll be happy. There's little chance of him wining another title, and zero in Europe.

thebigman repped this.
  9. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    well past his expiration date.

Fifty and thebigman repped this.
  10. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's not doing much wrong in the past two years, but he also isn't lighting it up. Things could be much worse, breandan rodgers worse.

He's addressed some of his blind spots very well, bringing in Bould was a good move. But the player performances, individually, they seem to lack the mental edge. I thought bringing in Sanchez would bring so much more. Don't get me wrong, he's been good, but not "so much more". He seems to have been reined into the system, whereas IMO, we needed THAT player that would break up the predictability in the final third.

For me, as a supporter, trophies are the bonus. I enjoy watching the team play (when we have 11 on the pitch) weekly.

So he can stay. But I'm not deluding myself that he can get us over the edge thought. Although, this may be the best year in over a decade.

charlie15 and thebigman repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has built a squad with an incredible amount of talent, but he doesn't quite know how to utilize them most effectively. I'm not comfortable saying "WENGER OUT," but I don't expect to win the league while he's here.

thebigman repped this.
  12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It seems the fa cups have satisfied people somewhat

I love the guy and wish we would win with him here but he is past his best by some years imo

I think the reason fergy suceed ed so long was him changing his assistant for nee ideas and evolution etc

Wenger only did that when rice was ill and retired

I feel like our coaches seem to be yes men and we need people with nee ideas etc but I definitely think bould has helped our defence

antifan and bandwagongooner repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just voted OUT, but it's a very close call. I can't recall what I voted last time.

I've been frustrated with Wenger for many years now. Nothing that nobody else hasn't already said so I won't bother repeating.

I like the comparison to Fergy because, as much as an a-hole as he was, the thing I give him so much credit for was adapting & changing his style every few years it seemed. And also being able to win the league with a sub-par squad (the last title being the perfect example)

Wenger just doesn't seem swift enough... swift enough to change, to adapt, to even recognize the need for all of that.

And I guess there isn't a ton of pressure on him from the directors/owners, like there is at the other two clubs who are close to us and have won titles recently.

If he's got a year or two left on his contract, I'm OK with him seeing it out. But if we don't win the EPL or the UCL in that time period, then for god sake don't let him signup for another few years!

We need to roll the dice and move on. Even if we have to risk a year or two of mid-table, non-UCL life. (easy to say, wonder how I'd feel if that was our lot)

And absolutely no to Arsene as DOF. When he hangs it up, he should leave the club and his well earned statue behind.

ArsenalJake and thebigman repped this.
  14. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The results of this vote demonstrate the strong loyalty/commitment we all still have for Wenger, even though most of us agree that we won't win the league with him in charge. Kind of amazing when you think of it. I personally voted wenger out, but I know I'll miss him alot when he does leave. I hope we are starting conversations with Klopp... Time to start a new chapter at the club.

thebigman repped this.
  15. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love these threads.

Two FA Cup trophies the last 2 years. Acquisitions of Ozil & Alexis. Veteran team poised to have a shot at the prem this year. Solid financial ground to obtain transfers in January and the summer. The only team other than Barcelona whose coach Pele says he would like to play for so...

Let's sack him today! We lost two prem matches! Sack him immediately if not sooner.

charlie15 and thebigman repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If u think we have a shit at the league or cl with this squad u are nuts

We will be down the the bare bones by January and still won't sign anyone

17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 'shit at the league' is pretty accurate

thebigman repped this.
  18. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger out. It's groundhog day until he goes.

19. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 ArsenalJake, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    When I think of the big picture that is AFC, I think of Stan Kroenke, not Arsene Wenger.

To lay everything at Wenger's feet and say he's the problem is to not see the bigger picture.

Personally, I am extremely guilty of Wenger bashing because he is the face of the club in the public eye and all footballing decisions start and end with him.

I will fully admit that my vision is skewed because I began watching EPL religiously only 6 years ago and chose Arsenal as my club at that time. I have grown to love our club, the squad and all our history in the years since.

In that context, I can say with no regrets that Arsene Wenger was a great manager, and deserves all of the praise and support he receives. But he is no longer a great manager, and for AFC to compete for the league and for European glory, they need a new leader.

As an American, I look at Kroenke and see a man who owns many sports franchises in the USA and he likely goes to bed at night knowing that Arsenal is easily his strongest investment.

Why would he lose sleep at night knowing Arsene Wenger is in charge of AFC? Stan pays Wenger 7+million a year to oversee that operation and he's absolutely out performing any other athletic enterprise Stan is involved with.

Stan would literally order people killed if it meant the St. Louis Rams had a state of the art stadium and made the playoffs every single season for 18 years.

Right now, he's focused on taking his pile of British pounds and reinvesting them in an LA stadium with the intention of relocating the Rams to Los Angeles.

If Wenger decides to see out his contract and walk toward the sunset in 2 years, he will have served his purpose for Stan and maintained his legendary status here at Arsenal.

Mourinho got it right this week when he said there is only one manager in England who isn't under pressure.

Nailed it.

Plain and simple, Arsene Wenger isn't doing anything to advance our chances at greatness in the near term.

We have a fantastic squad today, but there is no pressure and no incentive to win the league.

And I truly do not believe we will achieve greatness until he sees out his contract and leaves.

I can only hope the transition to another manager will be without the pain that other clubs have experienced, but even with that pain, I will at least be satisfied in knowing that we are once again trying, truly trying to be the best.

danielh and thebigman repped this.
  20. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is why the blame is, rightly, laid at his feet.

antifan, thebigman and Fifty repped this.
  21. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no fan of Kroenke, but I think that Wenger is far and away the most influential person at the club in terms of both on and off the field activity and club culture. I don't think Stan was in anybody's ear saying not to buy players this summer.

thebigman repped this.
  22. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Where is the evidence that Stan the man is siphoning money from arsenal into his dumb-ass Astro turf loving. Dome-stadiumed. TV timeouting American-Rules club?

thebigman repped this.
  23. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #23 danielh, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    [deleted a bunch of stuff about being torn and not knowing and boy how things have been good but man, it really seems like we're not going anywhere, holy shit 200m in the bank, god i hope ozil doesn't leave and coq stays healthy this year and is a league title ever going to come again but man we had some close calls and good games -- damn rvp red and that 4-0 milan away leg and stupid monaco and what would jesus h rosicky do ........ ]

Screw it, wenger out.

kanonier and thebigman repped this.
  24. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    total_football and thebigman repped this.
  25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC