Where did it all go wrong? - The Early Exit WC Wrap Up Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by fernb8, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    the information you are looking at is inaccurate

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Countdown champions?

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    [​IMG]

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Don't ruin their delusion with such useless information as facts.

fernb8 repped this.
  5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  6. Distorted Humor

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Fair enough, what is the proper source for this information then.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    you could look through some of the appropriate threads or even go the official site but to save you most of your worry

GK- Blackman, Beeny- England

D- Conroy, Dabo, Kane, Wright- England. Christensen- Denmark. Davey- Scotland. Musonda- Belgium.

M- Baker, Chalobah, Clifford, Loftus-Cheek, Saville, Swift, Houghton- England. Boga- France. Ssweankambo- Sweden.

F- Brown, Kiwomya, Mitchell- England. Feruz- Scotland.

and if you want to factor in the U-19 players who appeared quite often- 17 of the 24 players in that team are English

Placid Casual repped this.
  8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Boga will probably be eligible for England too.

9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I suspect he will stick with France but would not mind being wrong

10. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #60 Metropolitan, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Alright, looking at things from the outside (I'm French), here are some observations on the topic:
    • The EPL badly needs a winter break. While the lack of winter break doesn't hurt in May for Champions League, it clearly does in June for Euros and World Cups. No matter the national team, very few EPL players actually shined at this world cup.

• If there are many international players trusting top EPL clubs, then English players should do the same and play abroad. There is room for England's players in Spain, Germany, Portugal, Italy, France... it's always interesting to bring something from other leagues.

• When making its squad, the English coach seems to try too much to collect the 11 players with the best individual performance at club level rather than thinking about how they could play together. Team play is what matters the most. Finding players who play well together is what should be focused on.

• England also needs to press more. I feel England too respectful of its opponents, especially against established sides. You never win anything if you don't bring doubts to your opponents.

11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    After 1998 - "We need to follow the French model"
    After 2010 " We need to follow the Spanish model"
    Now "We need to follow the German model"

How about we come up with our own and go with that?

MrOranjeBal, canis and fernb8 repped this.
  12. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If you had read my post just a bit more, you would have noticed that's clearly not what I was saying.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    My post was nothing to do with yours - If it was, I would have quoted you!!!

14. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Alright then. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    But the countries that revolutionized their youth system didn't just pull a philosophy out of their arse, they went around and copied best practices from everyone else, like we're trying to do.

16. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Yep - Understand that completely, but we seem insistent on copying the one that just won.

Always behind, never ahead.

St Georges Park opened last year? I think? Which is the result of the copying France in 1998.... with that kind of timeframe we should be where the Germans are now in time for 2030.

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Who is 'we' though? I haven't heard anyone from the FA saying we should copy the German system wholesale. In fact, wasn't there a delegation from the German FA at SGP trying to learn from us not so long ago? And no, SGP is not a copy of Clairefontaine, it's a national football centre, something all top countries have. To say that building SGP is copying the French model is ridiculous, especially given that they operate in completely different ways.

18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    We haven't heard a lot from the FA recently apart from " Roy's good for the next 2 years" and that stupid commission.

So you think that the development of players is going well in England? Oh that's right. You thought we couldn't be expected to beat Italy and Uruguay.

19. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate to say it, but Terry and A. Cole would have done better than Baines/Jagielka. Baines is an attacking left-back, what is the point of using him when you have no one to cover him? Rooney left him wide open. A. Cole is the better defender and has more pace.

Not only are Terry - Cahill - A. Cole used to playing with each other week in and week out. But they have huge champions league AND international experience. Mourinho didn't play Cole much, but when he did play, he hardly put a foot wrong and was fresh. I think Mourinho just wanted to get rid of his 200,000 a week wages.

One of Hodgsons biggest mistakes was not begging John Terry to come back.

Also, Steven Gerrard is not a defensive midfielder. Instead Gareth Barry should have been used in that position.

Half of hodgsons team is Liverpool FC with the exception of Gerrard = No CL experience. If your going to use LFC, then at least use the same tactics.

In short. Our defence let us down big time. But what the hell happened to Sturridge? The 2nd most lethal striker in the Premiership last season and yet shocking against Costa Rica and Uruguay.

What was clear though, when Lampard - gerrard were partnered together in the third game. The midfield totally lost it's shape and our passing went out of the window. Lampard - Gerrard together = no midfield. It's good for England that they are retiring soon. Excellent players but cannot play together.

Having said that. Like Martinez said, against Uruguay/italy they were small margins.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think a lot has changed in the last couple of years for the better and I expect that trend to continue. At least so far as things the FA can do anyway.

What does one have to do with the other? Not sure what sort of dig that is supposed to be anyway. Italy and Uruguay are better teams than England.

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't find the words to express how glad I am that he didn't do that. It would be a disgrace to the shirt.

22. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think they are. Especially a Uruguay without Suarez. All three are evenly matched.

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

the last two points you make are the most salient

perhaps we should sticky this but the primary reason why English players do not go abroad is primary related to one issue and it is not a language barrier, fear of travel, challenges with adapting to new cultures, etc. It is down to money- the wages are generally much better in England and put simply- even the average working person is going to move to where he/she receives the best compensation and in some cases where the compensation is significantly better than elsewhere

the winter break is an interesting debating point

24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Boga became English then that would be a huge coup. I've seen some clips of him and he looks fantastic. However I can't see France letting him slip away.

25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    very talented and creative player who combines raw skill with athletic ability