Where did it all go wrong? - The Early Exit WC Wrap Up Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by fernb8, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cms are a very weak area

After carrick guddlesone is the next best passer lol

2. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Huddlestone is a better, more incisive passer than Carrick. Strikes the ball truer than any English player.

But re the balance thing, might need to pack the team with Hendersons and i'm not sure I'd like that.

thebigman repped this.
  3. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    You mean good passers? None on his level but there are a number of players who are mobile and good off both feet. We just don't seem to value these abilities.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Rather than what went wrong I am far more interested into what is going to change. We are told that we are now playing with this new approach. To my mind we have gone from one extreme of ultra defensive play to another extreme of open, unbalanced attempts at taking the game to teams.

All this talk of philosophy and how we should play but I don't think we are playing in a manner that has long term plans in mind. We don't press as a team, make no attempts to control the game at all, poor positioning as a team with and without the ball. All those awful friendlies we had that we played in the exact same manner and nothing was done about it. So why expect anything different in the future when Hodgson thinks we've progressed?

There is no evidence that I can think of to assume that Hodgson is going to offer anything different to what has just happened in this tournament. If we are supposed to be developing a competent style and working on it for the future I can't see how it can be deemed that he is the right person to do it.

I would be able to accept teething problems if there was hope that we were getting somewhere. But the team staff are coming out of this tournament like it's progress. We have a manager that seems to think he didn't do anything wrong all tournament and our main issue was being unlucky. All the while talking like we should be happy with 0-0 draws or just by witnessing what he deems positive play.

If results and performance are now deemed of a lower requirement then why are we sticking with a coach that has never been the best tactically and also never been able to create a team to play in the style that the FA's plan of a philosophy seems to require?

Placid Casual, Prenn, fernb8 and 2 others repped this.
  5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #30 The Potter, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Players aren't good enough. We seem to have a major age imbalance in our squad (and not for the first time). We tend to have experienced vets and youngsters who need to gain experience. Until we have a core of good players between 26-30 we will struggle.

Costa Rica- 14
    England-8
    Italy-11
    Uruguay-12

6. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #31 RobTheFool, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    Lol.

The media were actually downplaying our chances this year..

The fault comes down to some very simple reasons:

1. Not having enough good quality players
    2. Despite this, years like 2004/2006 we have had good players and should have gone further.. which leads to no.3 -
    3. Shit tactics from managers - How many times did we have to see Lampard/Gerrard in a 4-4-2 with Scholes on the left.. until we play a 3 man midfield nothing will change.

With the squad of players we have, a QF appearance should be par. Unfortunately we have a dinosaur in charge who described our 0-0 borefest with Costa Rica as 'encouraging for the future' and who has no tactical nous apart from ordering players to stand off and invite pressure.

7. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Hodgson is a senile old duffer who lives in cloud cuckoo land. Some of his quotes are ridiculous. He genuinely believes he had a good tournament tactics wise.

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  9. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone who's team has ever faced relegation will recognise that mentality. It the mentality of losers and no good can come of it.

10. bluejon

bluejon Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got about half way then lost interest!

11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Personally I think England's biggest problem is that its personality is a lack of personality. The best nations have a some style that distinguishes their play, and its part of every player from the time they first kick a ball.

The real irony is that a lot of these nations, Spain in particular really got great when some of their players were exposed to English football. Anyone else remember how pathetic Spain used to be? Would give up as soon as the game got a little difficult.

One of the things that really lets England is, fine they like direct football that's a legitimate style and strategy and can be quite attractive actually, but at least do it well.

thebigman and canis repped this.
  12. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nice post.
    Everyone with some basic football knowledge will identify England with direct football. Problem is when a team gets subborn about it´s style and lacks flexibility to adapt. I great example is Parreira and Jogo bonito. Brazil was obsessed with it´s style (still is to some extent) but had not win a cup in 24 years. Parreira changed it´s style and nobody liked it, but he won in 1994. Somehow similar was Bilardo in `86 (besides Maradona ofc).

13. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Maybe england should take the draw against Costa Rica as a positive and focus on that and the performances of their youngsters instead of trying to focus on what went wrong in trying to achieve the impossible.

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    must have missed the thread title

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*breathe*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

canis repped this.
  16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I appreciate all players make mistakes but it's interesting how high levels of errors and sloppiness from players like Sturridge and Sterling don't seem to be noticed at club level.

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Roberto Martinez' thoughts:

'I was very impressed with the manner that England approached the competition. Looking back at other tournaments, it was the case of trying to progress and go through. This time around, it has been a clear approach of: let's try to be ourselves, let's try to find solutions and learn from the experience for the future; if we progress in this tournament, great, if not we'll get the benefits. There is a real legacy growing in this new England set-up. I love the eye-to-eye mentality and having a really brave outlook about their performances. The defeat against Uruguay was marginal. The game against Italy was very small margins as well, not to get the victory. Overall, it's a positive approach, and I think there is an understanding from the English public that there needs to be a bit of patience and a structured path to be successful; not just to be good in big tournaments, but to try to win a big tournament. To get there following the methods of Belgium or even Spain takes time. There has been a step towards achieving that with how England allow youngsters to have a major say and develop a clear way of playing that is going to be very beneficial for the future.'

18. Distorted Humor

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    This is a honest question....

Is there too many non-English in the Premier league for the English National team to thrive?

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    There shouldn't be. It makes the league more competitive. Thus the English players that play in it would tend to be more talented. If the placement of foreigners in the EPL is the problem, why don't the manager scout out some Championship players. Perhaps they discover a few gems there.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Not necessarily, but the numbers certainly don't help matters.

21. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Please make room in this thread. There are 200 million people coming in, anytime now.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Huh? I think germany and spains revolution comes from proper u21 teams, a national overhaul and and a style of football that suits them. Not to mention alot more homegrown players at top sides. How many of the german team hae been first teamers from a young age?

23. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #48 kent paul, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    If you don't invest in the future you cant expect results in the future, because after Euro 2000 Germany invested hundreds of millions into youth development after coming to the conclusion they were doing something wrong, and we can all see the fruits of that investment. But what did England decide to do we built Wembley, so instead of building a foundation in which to build on like the Germans did the FA was more concerned with window dressing and glamor and built a stadium which we did not need and completely neglect the things that did, and we can all see the results of that, because English football is a big posh house without a foundation, and a building without a foundation will fall down sooner rather than later

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You are missing the point.

The FA now has a shiny new stadium where the local FA types can show off how important they are. That's all that matters.

Question for everyone - Who are these people?

Roger Burden
    Barry Bright
    Mervyn Leggett
    Michael Game
    Trevor Gilmore
    Roger Devlin
    Heather Rabbatts.

25. Distorted Humor

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    I am also looking at the U-21 teams. The FA depends on the clubs do develop talent, and the million that many top clubs in the EPL pour into youth are to develop non-English players. For example, of the 25 U-21 players listed on
    Chelsea u-21 squad, only 10 are English.