Where did it all go wrong? - The Early Exit WC Wrap Up Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by fernb8, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    assumed it would be easy to keep most of the post WC discussion here instead of over multiple threads

just an FYI this will be moderated as the other WC forums were

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The technical deficiencies, lack of tactical awareness and traditionally poor game-management of the players told, plus Hodgson isn't a very good coach.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Those damn foreigners having the cheek to be better at a game we invented.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    would probably start with the selection to begin with

Carrick- I know his form was not the best last season but to use the excuse that he "refused to play" in the past but then not only take, but play, Foster who basically did the same thing. On top of that we take Lampard and then claim that he has a future with the squad as well. It seemed pretty clear to me that despite the media agenda to cover for either certain players or certain areas that our midfield was consistently the biggest issue over the past three games.

also have issues with the LB- although many will not agree with that

the tactics and lack thereof is a rant for another time

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shoe horbing rooney sacrificed the shape of the side, cole and gibbs >>> baines, terrible generation of cbs and cms, gerrard and hendo left on an island both games, terrible coach with no idea how to balance a side and cant make changes, not pressing properly and a terrible structure and fa ran by clueless idiots

Anything else?

sinner78 repped this.
  6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Baines did poorly. I think he was continually left 2v1 and made to look poor by Hodgson's set up.

sendorange repped this.
  7. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would trade a nut for our defence of 2004/2006 and our midfield of 2002 to go with our current attack...

How did we go from having Campbell, Terry, Ferdinand, King, Carragher, Woodgate etc all in their prime and some of the best CBs in the world at their time, to the current generation of Smalling, Jones, Jagielka, Cahill.. :(

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ROONEY. Should have been benched.

Why was Wellbeck starting on the wing? Should have been on as a super-sub if you ask me

Why wasn't Lambert played more? At least given more than 12 mins against Uruguay.

9. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #9 kent paul, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Until we have a plan/vision that is put in place nothing will change for us, because it does not matter who is in charge of the NT if the pickings are slim even the best coach can only do so much, and our pickings as far as defence and holding midfielders goes is the worst I have ever seen

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Where did it all go wrong?
    According to Gordon Stachan, it was on that big green (painted) area out in the rainforest.

[​IMG]

fernb8 repped this.
  11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the seed of our elimination came from the decision to not press the Italians. Maybe we were too respectful of them, maybe it was too much focus on the conditions, but we've seen now they were beatable. The talent available is what it is, we need a manager and a plan that will get the most out of them. We shouldn't need a team full of superstars to get out of the group stage. Plenty of those already there have squads with clear weaknesses.

For multiple tournaments "we" (as represented by the UK media) have had too high expectations. Now we see the danger of too low expectations/complacency: the danger is, you meet them.

sendorange, Prenn and fernb8 repped this.
  12. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even worse is that the curious thing whereby low expectations are further lowered and looked upon as a good thing when the results are bad.

See "These have been the best England performances I've seen in years!", "The future is bright", "You can't expect to beat teams ranked higher than you" etc...

sendorange repped this.
  13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Good job only one team is ranked above us for the Euro Qualifiers.

Second place is ours for the taking!

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Poor tactics, weak mentality in the players and lack of any prime world class player.

The Potter repped this.
  15. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Before the tournament I didnt trust Hodgson to produce the appropriate tactics for each opponent and I was sadly right. I still thought we would find a way to get through the group ,but not look convincing doing it.

16. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh no, that's changed. You see it's alright for other countries to punch above their weight and beat teams ranked higher than them, England are not good enough to do this apparently. However if a team ranked lower than us draws or beats us then that's expected because we're not every good/expectations are low/they're punching above their weight. Expectations are adjusted accordingly so it becomes retrospectively expected that we draw both games with Estonia...

17. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd written a list of reasons why we were so poor in this World Cup but by the time I got to point eight of 'managerial problems' I lost all motivation and deleted it. I'll give you the truncated version:

Reasons why were were shit:
    1. Roy Hodgson

lanman, RobTheFool, thebigman and 3 others repped this.
  18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Problem still rests centrally with the FA, although hopefully Ashworth can prove to be more competent than Brooking. Can sack Hodgson but problem is no obvious candidate to replace, especially as the FA wasted 10 years and every available opportunity on trying to groom Stuart Pearce, that's something which has really crippled us. Terrible decision making and of course had to 'give him time'.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The Pearce experiment still puzzles me.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem wont stop till we qualify more intelligent coaches with a licences, pay them more and not rely on ex players and nepotism. Football from the ground up is laughable, get some foreign coaches in to educate us!

barroldinho repped this.
  21. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your right but whether the FA do it is another question because, owning up to your own incompetence is not an easy thing to do, especially for an organisation like them where the old boy network and little England mentality is rife and part of there DNA

Prenn and thebigman repped this.
  22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  23. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    England don't pick balanced teams. It's that simple.

This is far for more important than discussing individuals or numbered formations.

England lack players with all around skillsets (this isnt to say they re not good players in the right team) - we therefore need to pick players who complement each other and NOT the players considered best (particularily if this is based almost solely on clubform)

Gerrard and Lampard are the perfect example of 2 very good players with similar strengths and weaknesses in terms of skillsets - nobody seems to have learned the lesson that the best players dont always make the best teams.

********ing Groundhog Day.

24. rob88

rob88 Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Mexico city
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Are there in English clubs technical players similar to Paul Scholes?

25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--