Where are they now?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd that he would want to leave the PL for the Championship?

Guessing that 1) Stoke can pay him at or more than he was making at Huddersfield and 2) he understands that he will shine in the Championship again in terms of end product - which he couldn't do in the PL.

This could set him up for one more payday since he's only 26. And heck he might come back up with Stoke as well.

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Watford have loaned Jerome Sinclair to Sunderland. In League One.

Klopp called his bluff a couple years ago and is being proven correct...

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Poor lad listened to his agent, the same chap who represents Sterling and, strangely enough, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

He's going to have restart his career again which may not be a bad thing [for him].

4. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Agents need to make their cut so Ox moved from Arsenal (benefited Liverpool)

There are plenty of young players wanting to create a career at Anfield, they just need less selfish representation and agents looking after the players (now that's a rarity )

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which is why I was surprised that Oxlade-Chamberlain ended up at Liverpool rather than at the chavs who were offering more money , both to Arsenal and the player himself.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Brad Smith- hopefully this will lead to more game time......

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/done-deal-premier-league-aussie-seals-loan-move

7. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    We know how to beat Real Madrid in a final - break Ramos' leg in the first minute.

SamScouse repped this.
  8. :D
    Why wait for the kick off?;)

el-capitano and SamScouse repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you could make money raffling off the opportunity. :)

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Why wait for a final!

11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched Stoke at home versus Wigan and saw a previous Red on Joe Allen. It was a shockingly poor performance from the home team which is in danger of going through the trap door.

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    surprised a lower-level Prem team didn't pick Allen up. maybe not a starter these days but a good solid sub I'd think.

16. Liverpool oldie beats ManUnited oldie.
    Kuyt beats van Nistelrooij in U19 Feyenoord vs U19 PSV Supercup match
    [​IMG]

SamScouse and jeffcoop repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Owen talking about his injuries. I wonder how much of this applies to Sturridge now?

Former England striker Michael Owen says he "hated" playing football late in his career because injuries had left him "petrified".

Owen won the Ballon d'Or in 2001 when at Liverpool, and scored 222 goals in a 17-year club career that ended in 2013.

But he says injuries forced him to change his game, a process which began when he tore his hamstring aged 19, leading to five months out. "Once I did it once I was gone really," Owen, 38, told BT Sport.

"I was quick, running in channels, beating people. That's who I was - compared to the last six or so years when I turned into the only thing I could. "I was petrified of running into a channel. I just knew I was going to tear a muscle. The worst thing about it is your instinct is to do what you have done all your life but you start thinking: 'Oh no, don't.'"

He left Liverpool for Real Madrid in 2004, had agreed to return to Anfield a year later but Newcastle trumped the Reds' bid.
    Moves to Manchester United - where he won his only Premier League title in 2011 - and Stoke followed.

Owen - who scored 40 goals in 89 appearances for England and captained his country - says his fear of sprinting led to him taking up positions where team-mates would not play passes which required him to give chase. "For six or seven years I hated it," he added. "I couldn't wait to retire.

"It wasn't me. All I was doing is coming short, linking play and getting in the box. It ended up with people thinking I was a great goalscorer who didn't do much else. Mentally I could do it, but physically I couldn't."

'For me, it was turmoil'
    Owen also suffered injuries such as a broken metatarsal when playing for Newcastle in 2005, an anterior cruciate ligament tear on England duty a year later, and persistent thigh and groin issues in 2007.

He made his Liverpool debut at 17 and starred at the 1998 World Cup aged 18 - but points to genetics rather than a volume of football as the reason for his problems. He says he was "made to get muscle injuries" because his father and brothers have endured similar problems.

Injuries prompted Owen to consider retirement "loads of times" and he says he offered to end his contract at Stoke in December of 2012, before eventually retiring in May of 2013.

"I admire people who can play for the love of the game," he added. "They may lose a yard of pace and they can go down a division or play against lesser teams - but, for me, it was turmoil."

18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's a sad story but one that probably rings true for many other footballers .Guys like Owen with that explosive speed really have to worry about those hammy injuries . Owen was lightening quick back in the day.

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the kind of doubt he talks about can kill a striker's advantage over defenders -- not able to act / react on instinct, and second-guessing all the time, trying not to over-exert in case of yet another breakdown.

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep and I wonder whether Studge has also had similar worries about getting reinjured over these past few seasons.

21. dakid

dakid Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why is it surprising? You do know that the player makes the decision not the agent? It's funny watching people be critical over sterling's age e when he was just doing what his client wanted him to do!!!

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or play the match in 1981!
    ;)

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #824 zaqualung, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018

There seems to be a perception that all agents have discretionary power over their players. This probably stems from the actions of big name mercenary players who don't really care where they go as long as they land the most dosh (Neymar, Tevez, Pogba, etc). If everything that gets reported is along those lines then it follows that the armies of near-percipients who treat The Dail Mail and The Sun as if they were Le Monde or The Sunday Times will tend toward the belief that the structure of the agent-player relationship is one where the agent tells the player what he is going to do because he (the agent) knows the way to get the most cash.

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would have thought he hated it because he was playing at Man Utd.