Where are they now ...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Heaps. I wish him the best. Always thought he was in over his head as a manager of the Revs, but felt he was a good guy.

dncm repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. And perhaps seeking a GM/Pres role vs coaching hints at his true ambitions. I'm sure he was frustrated the revs hierarchy is incompetent and maybe even him set up to fail.

Hope he does well there.

3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan McCrary has just been signed by Seattle. Is this one of those situations where the Revs lose out for lack of a farm team to groom their raw recruits? Time will tell!

NFLPatriot and rkupp repped this.
  4. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs 96ers (and Vermont Catamounts):

Kevin Wylie is an analyst with Reebok, still based in Boston.

Jim St. Andre is a high-end real estate broker in Manhattan, selling townhouses for 8 figures to 'elite global clients'.

Crooked and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wondering, how much actual success have other teams had with their USL teams? How many cases are there of draftees being sent to a USL team and then, after a year or so, being called up to the big team and becoming a contributing player?
    Sometimes I think he just assume the grass is greener over there.
    Regardless, they did drop the ball on McCrary. Maybe exile wasn't a smart move.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Dom Dwyer.

7. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any more? Are we really just talking about a handful of players?

8. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Dwyer, Aaron Long for NYRB, Ballou Tabla (Montreal USL --> Montreal --> Barcelona), Daniel Steres for the Galaxy, Derrick Jones and Richie Marquez for Philly... looks like Danny Acosta will also be making the jump this year as RSL's left back. I'm sure there are more.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly Dwyer is the poster child. There have been others with varying degrees of success (Sean Okoli turned a Golden Boot season with Cincinnati into a contract with NYCFC).

Playing in the USL doesn't guarantee success in MLS, but you've got a better chance than someone who wastes away on an MLS bench and never sees the field.

10. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...usl-mls-partnership-offers-rich-opportunities

Somebody already did all the work. Tyler Adams, Tim Parker, Nouhou Tolo, and more.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one of those things where, we don't know who among the border-line players will eventually make it by playing in USL, but we definitely know who won't...

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    McCrary is a prime example, if not the best, of the Revs failure to develop young players in recent years.

firstshirt and NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too soon to make that call either way IMO. Not saying McCrary is any good and Heaps is no expert at talent evaluation obviously, but his castoffs haven't exactly gone on to be world beaters. Friedel is really the A/B test to see if it was the manager or the talent.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL partnerships are still relatively new, so it's not that surprising the numbers aren't higher. I do expect that to continue growing.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kouassi back to Sion
    Le milieu ivoirien Xavier #Kouassi (New England Revolution) signe pour 6 mois au FC #Sion.

16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    965971237154578432 is not a valid tweet id

NFLPatriot repped this.
  17. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    is ANYBODY suprised about the coach k reference?*

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. :D

But I am surprised to learn that he had an offer to be an assistant coach with another MLS club before he took this job.

19. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Jordan McCrary (remember him?) started and went the full 90 for Seattle in their CCL victory over Guadalajara.

Too bad we didn't have room for him

:eek::eek::eek:

NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

msilverstein47 repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Rooney Bringing Wealth of Playing Experience to Head Coaching Position with Boca Raton FC
    May 14, 2018

http://www.npsl.com/news/2268

Rooney’s professional career began with the Long Island Rough Riders in 1994, where he remained until 1997 when he joined the NY MetroStars of MLS. From there the central midfielder joined former MLS club Miami Fusion where he made 67 appearances and scored 12 goals. Rooney finished his career with stints with the New England Revolution and a return to the Rough Riders.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I like Rooney when he was here, but he was falling off the over-30 cliff.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another guy who wasn't really given a shot here, but the right type of signing back then.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh... He was the epitome of the Revs just going through the motions. Signing a guy as a $54,000 "First ever DP" with a kick-in clause to pay him some real money afterwards, which they never had any intention of doing. I thought he did really well to acclimate himself to a new team, new league, new country and turf, in just a short time. He even scored a few goals and here I was, thinking he'd be the guy to build around for next year.

But they decided not to bring him back after a third of a season. Apparently they expected a golden boot from him. This was a few years ago, but there is a reason why a lot of agents think the Revs are "difficult" to deal with and would rather shop their players elsewhere in the league.

pwykes and a517dogg repped this.
  25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It wasn't about expecting a golden boot, it was concerns about his knee. He held up well while he was here, but that wasn't particularly long trial.

Maybe they were over-cautious (I thought so at the time - because I thought he was just the kind of hold-up guy they needed), but it would have been a risk to purchase him from the loan agreement, no doubt. In hindsight, he did hold up, but they didn't have the benefit of knowing that.