Where are the WIZARDS going to play next season?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Doo Daa, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Doo Daa

Doo Daa New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Doo Daa
    I have season tickets, and have not heard ANYTHING about renewing for next year, except that it won't be at Arrowhead.

Where then?

2. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have not announced anything yet. As a season ticket holder, you should receive a mailer sometime soon (I suspect within the next week or so).

3. Doo Daa

Doo Daa New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Doo Daa
    Will this be about my tickets or about where they are playing? (both?)

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There have been several articles saying that the place for next year is unknown, it is in discussion right now, and the ownership will let us know as soon as they know.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a location is still to be determined, I would venture to guess it will be about tickets only.

You have to think that potential sites will be trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of the Wizards as they have no place to play. I would imagine that would lengthen negotiations somewhat.

6. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, as I mentioned the other night to someone....If you are a Wizards Season Ticketholder, most likely it does not matter where they play (I know it will matter to some, but not most). I know everyone I have spoken with that is a regular/season ticket holder, they feel the same way: Wherever they play, we will be there.....but it would be nice to know where "there" is :D

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the HS stadiums in Johnson County still the main potentials or has OnGoal decided to look outside of the Overland Park area since the vote?

8. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about all of the locations being evaluated but not all of the HS stadiums in JoCo are in OP (ODAC and the College Blvd facilities for example).

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Before and after the vote, the whole of the metro is under consideration.

Beggers can't be choosers.

10. clintn

clintn New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Springfield, Mo.
    Perhaps they'll do what Chicago did: add bleachers to a college facility and make do for a couple of years. Would any of the area colleges have stadiums that could be reasonably rennovated on a temporary basis?

11. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, probably not.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, none of the local colleges could support the additional of bleachers ala Naperville. I don't think any of the local colleges have the parking that would be needed either I don't think. Which is probably why most people seem to be thinking ODAC as it has a lot of space.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually this is probably what WILL happen, but it may be a HS not a college.

14. KC outlaws

KC outlaws New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    O-Town
    IMO, Olathe NW wouldn't be a bad choice if they let the wizards use the football field

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...118,-94.836259&spn=0.014606,0.019183&t=h&om=1

15. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct, from my understanding. And it's really the only option (assuming Arrowhead is truly unavailable due to the renovations). But, from what I am hearing, it sounds like it will be and exciting environment to watch the games. Much more intimate than arrowhead (think much smaller), much better interaction with the players (ours and the visiting team:D ), a good opportunity to really build the base (and the demand) prior to moving into the new stadium.

16. Doo Daa

Doo Daa New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Doo Daa
    I have heard (in the past) PARK U. (up north) haven't they played a few of the US Cup games there? (

17. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    They played two USOC games up there in 05. There's not nearly enough parking and the stadium is tiny (and doesn't appear to have much room at all for expansion).

I very much doubt they end up at Park.

18. KChaz

KChaz New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Kansas City
    This may not be popular because it is not in JOCO, but William Jewell in Liberty has a nice size football stadium and has room to add additional seating it looks like. Parking may be an issue, but it looks like there is some room around the school. It also looks like the pitch could be wider than at some of the other locations talked about.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...ll=39.248241,-94.410362&spn=0.003814,0.007253

19. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad for neglecting Jewell earlier. It's one thing for a stadium to "not be in JoCo". It's quite another for it to be in Liberty. For a few reasons, that would be an untenable arrangement. Nothing against Liberty, mind.

20. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but is Kauffman Stadium + grass trays a feasible option? can a soccer field be shoe-horned in the confines?

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're forgiven.

22. Doo Daa

Doo Daa New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Doo Daa
    Not a bad idea, I believe quite a few A-League (USL) teams play on baseballs surfaces transformed.

How far (where?) is Jewell? (north east?) further north/east than Arrowhead?

Speaking about a baseball complex, what about the T-Bones (is that the independent team out in Wyandotte (in the shadow of the race track)?

How big is that stadium? (wouldn't be traffic/parking issues there?)

23. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baseball fields and Soccer fields DO NOT MIX! Given the problems that D.C. United and the Exponationals had, it's actually a VERY bad idea to try and shoehorn a soccer field into Kaufman. I'd rather see the Wizards play at Swope Park for two years than set foot in Kaufman. There is even less incentive for the Royals to accommodate the Wizards than there was for the Nats to accommodate DCU.

As was mentioned in this thread (a mere three posts above yours....) Jewell is is Liberty. Roughly 16 miles north and 2 miles east of Arrowhead. For all practical purposes, it may as well be in Iowa.

As to Community America Ballpark, a soccer field would fit, but reference my first paragraph. Given that there is no incentive for the Royals to accommodate the Wizards, there is even less for the T-Bones. With the Royals, they at least have the infrastructure to put down grass over the dirt basepaths and mound. The T-Bones would find that nigh on impossible, leaving the Wizards to foot the bill.

People should try to get accustomed to the fact that the Wizards will likely be playing at a high school soccer or football stadium, with a capacity somewhere between 5k and 10k.

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm all for Liberty!!! Haha. Just 30 minutes from Cameron on a good day. That would definitly work for me, I don't know what all of you are talking about. :D

25. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be an absolutely terrible idea to play in Lawrence? Jayhawks won't need the place until September, right? Or, if not for the whole season, what about just playing a game or two there?