Where are the games being played?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Joga_Bonito_ATX, Sep 14, 2008.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, just a little north and east of that -- Berkman and 290 to be specific (just south of the stadium) there was an incident a couple weeks ago where they had everyone stay in their houses because of a firefight between police and criminals. Lisa sez that it started somewhere in the Berkman area (my memory is different, that it was more St. John's and Cameron) and ended with a shootout in the parking lot of the Randall's on the other side of 290 from the stadium.

Yeah, it's gentrifying, but there's definitely dangerous spots. They may be more up toward St. John's & Cameron -- which is where that other bar was that burned down.

I live a little west of there, and have a couple friends that live just east of Nomad's. I do know that historically our police district includes areas to our north and east, and we're usually overlooked by the Police because they're more concerned with those other areas.

In other words, on second thought, dodgy sidewalks and traffic aside, I'm not quite ready to walk back and forth from Nomad's to the stadium.

I did drop by Nomad's, and I can see what you mean regarding gentrification. I guess Mueller is starting to have an impact. Seems like a nice enough place, and the patio's cool.

2. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats just great!:eek: But hey we could allways gain favorable relations with the locals of the Barrio, and I am in no way trying to be race bias but the neighborhood "looks" to be primarily latin American and if we let people know that we are about football, well who knows.

And in the end, we just have to remmember that Nelson, and the Nomad, are only temporary.

3. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey lads, here's another option thats right down the street from the Nomad, the Carousel Lounge.

http://www.carousellounge.net/

Austin enough for ya? :D

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did consider that. It's just a little farther south. And it's a kick-ass, very Austin bizarro dive. Just beer (and I'm pretty sure the selection of that is appropriate for a dive:)), no mixed drinks. But they do have 'mix-ins' (I think that's right) to add to whatever you purchase at the liquor store conveniently located right around the corner.

The live music might make it a little loud for gathering.

But I've really enjoyed the place the times I've gone there to see friends play.

Of the two, I lean toward the Nomad for now. But I'm cool with either.

5. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wellll :rolleyes: Someone shot them an e-mail asking them how they fee labout football, and if they would let us gather for post/pre game events, drumcircles, etc.

I also gave them the sites of both the aztex and the army, soo we'll see if they reply.

6. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey wow how about this for a quick reply.

sure, would love to have you do some events before/after games.

Quoting Alex Schultz <
    masterlex1890@yahoo.com>:

Anybody who is free today, or anytime this week, I would highly suggest you take a peek, make yourself known to the management, and let them know your a Chantico.

7. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timber's Army does pub crawls far more that 15 blocks. This is totally doable guys. I'm really excited that Austin has a club. Second weirdest city in America.

8. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Them's fighting words. ;)

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Times like this, I wonder if we should request a USL Fan Rivalries forum.

Way too easy to get off topic. But I'm going to take the risk. Here's the most recent person I've added to my weird Austinites list.

Not for the faint of heart.

10. Staszu

Staszu New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I'm going to assume the first is one from New York, Frisco, or LA.

But seriously...though Nelson is kinda up near the Triangle of Death, I have been that way and it is a kinder, gentler barrio. Sort of. And it has a big advantage over Round Rock: BUS SERVICE! Hey...despite what you've heard, not all Texans drive.

11. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well, I hope you at least own a car, because from what I heard from a fellow empolyee of mine the 300 bus station is still their next to the stadium, but the route has been discontinued. However, buses still stop at The Nomad/Carnival block.

12. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Cap Metro's website, it looks to me like that stop is still active: http://www.capmetro.org/gismaps/stops/1402.html
    (southbound times are listed for the stop across the street: http://www.capmetro.org/gismaps/stops/1313.html).

13. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, although I love Nomad (has no one yet mentioned the Foosball table?), and the Carousel is a classic, I gotta say, it's hard to beat the convenience of La Palapa, just across the parking lot from the stadium. Atmosphere? Not so much, but they have a big-screen TV, homemade chips (!), surprisingly pretty good food, and I did extensive research on their margaritas this weekend, and was well pleased. And park once, and walk to the game.
    On the other hand, if there were an appropriately-timed bus from the Nomad or Carousel, and back, that would be kind of fun, too.

14. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree about the foosball table, I didn't mention it because I thought someone else might mention it. And yeah La Palapa is right their and the only question I have is, is their any guinness?

15. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]
    I cant wail till this is home.

16. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW!

At first I didn't recognize that that was House. And Ahmen brother, I can't wait either. I mean, just look at that skyline. And personally, i'll take no parking over tons of parking if it means I don't have to worry about not having a car waiting for me after the match, I say this in refference to the proximity of Nelson to the supposed "triangle of death".

But we'll manage and "when" we do we can settle into what I think is our most ideal home till we get our own stadium someday, Chantico willing.

17. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    http://www.downtownaustintv.org/#/sports/friday-night-lights-house-park-football/

This is what house park looks like on friday nights? it would look nice to filling the 6000 seats. i think it is just the right size for us has a more intimate feeling than nelson. The location, the nice green hilly terrain, and the skyline backdrop are what makes it a nice place. The "7 nation army" song heard in the video will be much more intense when Austin moves in. (chantico willing)

18. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it says on the site. As Austin as it gets. :cool:

19. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I also watched the other videos about The Austin Toros (basketball) and the now deceased Austin Wranglers (arena"football"). pathetic. I just cant help to think that soccer is the only other sport that would be able to catch on in a city like Austin. UT already has football, basketball, and baseball covered. (leave those sports to them ,you cannot compete). Progressive cities like Austin generally attract "soccer minded" people as well as a lot of internationals who are likely more familiar to the game than americans. I look forward to a move to house park, but as for the first season Nelson field will be fine. I think it will be a good chance to gain some support from the Mexicans in the barrio.

20. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium reminds me of Robertson before the last major renovation. Can't wait to get matched up with you boys for the open cup. :cool: Now USL just needs to put a team in San An.