Where Are Soccer Fans In Miami Going To Park Their Cars?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, May 18, 2017.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I've seen some stupid ideas in my time, and this sure is one of them: Beckham and Co. are proposing to build a soccer stadium in the Overtown section of Miami without any parking lots or garages nearby. Apparently they don't seem to realize that Miami is not a mass-transit city. People drive their cars everywhere. This is from today's Miami Herald:

"To address parking concerns, Leiweke unveiled a strategy he said would help keep cars away from the stadium area. He said the team plans to arrange for a dinner-cruise boat to deliver fans to the Miami River a few blocks away, and would arrange for shuttle buses from parking garages in Miami."
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article151188752.html

He thinks that people are going to drive to remote parking garages, and then take buses to the game? That's not going to happen! If Beckham and friends go through with this plan, I predict no more than three or four thousand fans a game will show up.

2. Revolusean

Revolusean Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They will park in the empty lots at Lockhart Stadium and takes shuttles. Because that would be hilarious

jayd8888, Elninho and DaveBrett repped this.
  3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    There is a conversation about this on the Soccer By Ives site. One guy had an amusing comment: If they aren't going to build a parking garage next to the stadium to encourage people to walk or use mass transit, then they should also forgo food in the stadium to encourage people to diet.

Unak78 and EvanJ repped this.
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Where are the fans supposed to tailgate? :)

flippin269 repped this.
  5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL Miami failed once they are looking to repeat.

6. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Beckham still appears squeezed for the cash he needs to purchase enough land to do this properly. The city seems to be fine with selling him whatever parcels he needs in that area of the city. It seems that the problem is that Beckham still wants have pow primary ownership privileges while asking others to commit most of the money. Granted it's his contract that grants the massive buy-in discount, but he's still asking wealthy men to commit a lot of money on a stadium in a city that's already failed in MLS once. Granted, that was a long time ago, but it's still a risk. I think he'll probably end up doing this simply due to the contractual deal he has with MLS and his stubborn commitment to Miami, but I'm thinking that these delays have more to do with Beckham's lack of funds than anything that Miami has been doing to stonewall the deal.

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Might as well build it on a delta and tell everyone they have to arrive by boat.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  8. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    OMG,... legal gambling at an MLS stadium, it's genius...

vividox repped this.
  9. jabbaahabbaa

jabbaahabbaa Member

Toronto FC
    Canada
    May 12, 2017
    In Tampa or Orlando... just kidding

There must be enough parking garages in the area, right? I don't know Miami, but in every major city I've been to, there are usually several parking garages within a mile distance to the stadium. The revenue wouldn't go to the team, but at least people with cars would have options.

Unak78 repped this.
  10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Street parking in the neighborhood is going to be a b***h. :) Also, are there no parking garages in the area? I thought the location was only a couple of blocks away from Marlins Park? While I see that Marlins Park has their own parking garages, are there any others in the area?

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fired up google maps, and I see the location is going to be a mile and a half from Marlins Park and on the other side of the Miami River. I hope the street parking is amazing.:)

12. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If I'm looking through the right colored glasses, this is actually a masterstroke. In 10-15 years we'll all be in self-driving cars anyway, and they won't need garages. While the rest of the world is demolishing or retrofitting garages, Beckham will be smiling over the one he didn't fund. Genius.

Maybe.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coincidentally enough, 10-15 years is probably when Beckham United will play their first game.

whiteonrice04, Len, USSoccerNova and 3 others repped this.
  14. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Real fans only take mass transit anyways so I don't see what the problem is.

15. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    What if real fans don't live anywhere near mass transit?

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Makes it harder for them to be Eurosnobs. :)

Real fans tailgate.

SeminoleTom and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such things shouldn't matter to real fans.

Real fans would walk 20-miles uphill through neck deep molten lava to get to the nearest bus stop and complain about how kids these days have it easy, because back in their day it would be 40-miles uphill through molten lava that was over their head and they had to carry their elderly grandmother and grandfather upon their backs just to get to the point where they would only have to walk uphill 20-miles through neck deep molten lava to get to the nearest bus stop.

The Franchise, WarrenWallace and Unak78 repped this.
  18. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Let's say they actually build this stadium without any parking nearby, in a city where people don't use mass transit. Would anyone here care to predict how many fans will show up for a typical match?

I am sticking with my original estimate of 3,000-4,000 fans per game.

19. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's just trolling.

No MLS club (even during MLS 1.0, even the ones that contracted, even *Chivas*) has averaged less than 7,000.

TheEmperor14, jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  20. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    has ever played in a stadium without parking.

21. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... except for the Timbers.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  22. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Shit, you want to stick to your guns? I'll bet you a beer next time either of us is in the other's town. ;)

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're still going to sell more than 3000-4000 season tickets from sponsors alone

24. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
    Azerbaijan
    Mar 28, 2017
    The Dinner Table
    hey Miami there is something you can do its healthful too! WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    When you read Overtown, think Compton. I wouldn't park my car there on a bet even if I could find parking.