When's the rebrand?

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Riverhounds' started by SailorJo, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With nightingale in as team president, having a background in brand and commercial leadership, can the rest of the soccer world expect a Pittsburgh rebrand anytime soon? I sorely hope so, and that Pittsburgh becomes a stronger club. You guys are a pivotal city to US soccer heritage. If I could choose, I would buy out the name Pittsburgh Rovers SC from that local club. Good luck with the season!

PghContrarian repped this.
  2. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    I wouldn't expect anything this year. Maybe next. I know it's something they're discussing, though if it's a full name change or just a new crest, I don't know.

3. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    There was an article mentioned on reddit in which a reporter was advocating Pittsburgh FC but keeping the Riverhounds name as the unofficial nickname. I am not a big fan of the Riverhound name but calling the team just FC also is dull, especially when you have Cincinatti FC potentially sprouting soon. City won't work because of Lousiville City. I think the best name other than Riverhounds, would be Pittsburgh Steel FC. It harkens to Bethlehem Steel which is a historic team in the region and is a catchy and unique name. It sounds like the name of a future MLS team.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a WPSL team that is Steel City FC. I think that Pittsburgh FC or FC Pittsburgh would be fine and keep the nickname the Riverhounds.

5. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    That's pretty cool. I think steel (silver) + black color scheme is also unused right now in MLS. Kind of like the Spurs (NBA) uniforms.

6. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Since I now have relatives living in Pittsburgh, I have a bit of interest in this team and may be attending an occasional game........so let me just respond to this:
    with this:

:rolleyes:

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know how far Bethlehem is from Pittsburgh?

Do you know how people from Eastern Pa. and those from Western Pa. consider themselves to be from pretty different regions?

And lastly, do you know how long it's been since Pittsburgh produced steel?

8. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking pretty certain Bethlehem will be Steel. So it should be off table. Not to mention they already have Steelers (and soccer will never compare in support in that city). You are correct EPA and WPA are like Hatfields and McCoys at times. And why does your last question matter. Many team pay homage to things in past. Besides Bethlehem was rust belt long before Pittsburgh was.

I honestly think they should just go with Hounds. Kill the cheesy "River". Stick to Black and Gold (I love that all team in Burgh have same colors). Could have Blue as third color I suppose (Pirates use red as an accent occasionally). Kill the actual Dog logo and go with something like Steel Army's shield/crest - see Vesty above.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  9. chris570

chris570 Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds

Video posted by the Hounds.

Maybe some rebrand news coming next Monday.

10. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    I don't think it's re-brand related. Probably just when the new indoor training facility opens up. They've been talking about it a lot lately.

11. chris570

chris570 Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    *sigh*

You're right. Guess I got a little over excited...

On a side note, poor Willie
    [​IMG]

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That team store is still not online. Is that because of imminent rebranding?

13. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    I think it's more of them being bad at web stuff than anything. Though they did seem to have less merch in the team store this past season which I can only assume is because they don't want a large stock of extra stuff if they change the logo soon.

There's still a lot of rumblings about a brand change.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  14. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    No re-brand this year. From what I've heard they're aware of the need for it, but it's too expensive to do right now.

15. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Rebrand update: They're starting to work on it but want to take their time and not rush it. Targeting 2018.

16. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Yeah they started using just Hounds on most of their things last season for whatever reason. Not sure if they're trying to ease the transition or what. We were told the rebrand would be Pittsburgh centric but they're not going to completely abandon the Hounds nickname.

18. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Looks like the 2018 target was accurate. By all accounts a new logo will be unveiled along with the new kits on the 16th. The new kits are supposed to be completely custom and not a template like in years past.

Not sure if a name change is also a part of all this. Personally I’m leaning towards no. That said they have been using the full name Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC on all the marketing material this year which might indicate they’re going to lean on that more than just Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.riverhounds.com/news_article/show/887821?referrer_id=2869741

[​IMG]
    PITTSBURGH (February 16, 2018) – A new era has officially arrived for Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC. The club unveiled a new logo in advance of the 2018 campaign at a season ticket holder event at Highmark Stadium, swapping out the long-time “Hounds head” logo – the trademark of the club since 1999 – for a traditional badge look to coincide with an offseason of growth and change.

20. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally hope they move up to MLS, but hope they drop the cheesy Riverhounds name.
    Not really a fan of them adopting something like Pittsburgh S.C. either, but cant come up with a good name at the time.

Attached Files:

21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    New crest is a bit generic, but I like keeping the Riverhounds name and emphasizing the Pittsburgh color scheme. And while they're both unnecessary, I dig SC over FC.

22. JoePanther

JoePanther New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jun 23, 2019
    Living in Pittsburgh...

I'm ok with the Riverhounds name and the traditional color scheme. I hope that the hounds doesn't become SC Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh SC, FC Pittburgh, nor Pittsburgh SC. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC is good enough for me. I think there's more pressing needs IE, local broadcasting (radio/tv) and so on.

23. fragmag

fragmag Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jun 22, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'd love to see them move up to the MLS I just don't see it happening. I go to a handful of games every year and they get a decent crowd, but I can't see them selling 15k+ seats every game. Last year they were 24th in the league in attendance with 2,401 average per game. Anyways, I'll keep supporting them and will be getting season tickets next year, and I'll hope they can continue to grow in the city. As far as the Riverhounds name goes, count me in as hating it. Don't really care for the generic Pittsburgh FC (or SC in our case) either, guess I'm just picky that way.

24. JoePanther

JoePanther New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jun 23, 2019
    At the moment, I agree that it's tough to see them selling 15k every game. I think that's why getting on TV and radio is so important. They get such little media time, that it's really hard to really grow the fanbase, more than it is. I attended a game, and it was a fun time. I'll go to some next season.

25. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure this was really part of the big "rebrand", but I'm really liking this year's kits. Best I've seen from the Hounds in a while. Part of that was an AHN rebrand. Just might spring for a jersey to honor my former home in Loyal/Xolo land.