When will S.America have a superstar in the EPL!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by DerMongerer, Aug 8, 2004.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Ok aside from language differences, I want to know when S.America will have a player, ok correction, a TOP player from Brazil/Argentina or the other nations that makes his mark in the Premiership. Veron & Crespo doesn't look to me like they made their mark. Angel of Villa is probably the best S.American in the EPL currently, but he's hardly what I'd call a superstar like a Ronaldo, Aimar, Samuel or Ronaldinho.

All the players from S.America seem to go to Italy or Spain. And spare me the language/culture/food argument because I've seen some few top S.Americans that've made their mark in Bundesliga with a language that has even less in common than Portuguese or Spanish. There seems to be some barrier to S.Americans in the EPL, why? Maybe my memory is blank but I don't recall a top-grade S.American player in the EPL that did great things.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is difficult for these players to get a work permit to play in England. You must play a certain percentage of games for your national team to be given a work permit. Italy and Spain don't have these rules, so they sign the South Americans at a young age. All the best players have already signed for a Spanish or Italian team before they would qualify for a work permit.

3. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    :confused: Since when is Aimar a superstar?

4. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I think Juninho was perhaps the best S American to play in the EPL. Solano was also good. The EPL sucks in terms of quality (of some aspects of the game). It is mostly "kick and run" stuff. Not much ingenuity, unlike La liga (more open and entertaining) or Serie A (more defensive and tactical but not merely forceful kick and run). South Americans are known for ingenuity. Hence, they probably play more in leagues that suit their game. It is difficult for a Colombian (or another South American), with the propensity for fine touches, the dribble and showmanship to survive in a league where passing and collective running at speed is the forte.

5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Never to answer your question.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Ossie Ardiles was a superstar in England 25 years ago, Ricky Villa was also pretty good. Those are the best two South Americans ever to play top flight football in England.

I could also say Alan Brazil but I'm not sure he counts.

7. Argentina Girl

Argentina Girl New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Since when did you start to watch football???

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    You heard it here first folks, the English league "sucks" too much for Columbian players...

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The EPL sucks in terms of quality? Its merely kick and run? Do you actually watch the Premiership?

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Boy, its a good thing Cristiano Ronaldo, Thierry Henry and Damien Duff aren't south American. Because otherwise, they'd never be able to succeed in the EPL. :rolleyes:

11. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    All the players from S.America seem to go to Italy or Spain. And spare me the language/culture/food argument because I've seen some few top S.Americans that've made their mark in Bundesliga with a language that has even less in common than Portuguese or Spanish.QUOTE]

I beg to differ, I think you can get better food in Germany that in the UK.
    What is it with English food? It tastes so bad. Even Chinese food tastes bad in England. How can you posibly screw up Pepper Steak and chicken Fried Rice? only in the UK. The only exception is Indian food. If it is Indian, most likely is edible. However, the rest of the cuisine really sucks.

12. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I said quality of some aspects of the game, not all. The EPL does have intensity and passion, but not the subtlety and artistry that is evident in La liga and Serie A (to a lesser extent). I have no allegiance to any of the three countries, but the quality of play in EPL is just not captivating enough (barring possibly Arsenal).

13. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I agree with that. There is nothing better than Chicken Tikka Masala in the UK. :D

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh, OK, so you were on acid at the time. Makes sense. That's pretty much the only way you could come out with such ludicrous statements. Carry on.

15. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane are superstars. Beckham too (definitely). But Aimar? That's a joke right? I wouldn't even call Kaka, C Ronaldo, Rooney superstars, not yet anyway. Even a player like Shevchenko cannot be labelled as a superstar. Who the hell is Aimar in comparison?

16. the epl sucks they dont understand the qaulities of the beautiful game they just run and score a goal they even name forwards strikers becuase of this fact they dont understand the beauty of defense or a defensive team like they do in italy and spain...

17. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    What was so ludicrous, may I ask? I have always maintained that EPL lacks in the quality of some aspects of the game, not all. The Brazilian league has more of certain aspects of the game but not others. However, I would much rather watch Alex, Gil, Robinho, Athirson or Felipe play than watch Vieira, Gerrard, Lampard, Keane or Duff. Someone else may like to watch Vieira, Gerrard etc. for different reasons. Not that the first group of players is better than the second, but it's their style that is more captivating (to me). In addition, I feel the first group of players have a greater chance of success in La liga (say) than EPL. That is why, with money/earnings being constant, we (will) see more of them going to La liga (or Serie A) than EPL.

18. VivaPortugal

VivaPortugal New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    LOL...isnt Heinze gonna be playing for MAN U?

19. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think there have been plenty of opportunities for S. American players to succeed in the EPL but as we've seen a lot of these players have not panned out (Veron, Crespo, Forlan come to mind).

The EPL style of play is proabably just too different from latin American soccer and the South Americans are having trouble adapting. It's definetly not a result of the EPL being crap. If that was the case, these players would be running the league ragged.

20. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Hmmm...sounds like they understand the "qualities" of the game quite well, Einstein...

Run along now kiddo...the adults are talking, okay??

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The implication that the EPL involves less skill, which is why South Americans can't make it there. The French do fine in Italy and in England. Odd, huh?

Which "quality" doesn't it lack in? Supposedly it has poor tactics, poor passing, and poor technique. So what's left?

:rolleyes: The Brazilian league, while featuring some wonderful players, isn't as good as the EPL. Even technique wise, on average.

Uh huh. So when Davids or Emerson play in LaLiga or SerieA how do you look at that?

Your whole post can be paraphrased as "I think the EPL lacks technique, because good South American players can't make it there." Duly noted. :rolleyes:

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Spain understand the beauty of defense but England doesn't? Dude, I'm not even kidding anymore. Please leave the serious discussions alone.

23. X X I

X X I Red Card

Apr 9, 2004
    Hey the guy likes football to be pretty, so you can't argue against that. EPL isn't exactly beautiful.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :mad: Reading comprehension.

25. yeah im sure samuel,perea,marnsones, and perugio are a lot better than anything england has to offer defensively you guys cant defend so all that leaves it up to is who has the better forwards leaving it that suckers like henry can score a big amount of goals when he can score NONE on his own team