When Random Jibberish is riding in a time machine way far into the future...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2019 NHL Western Conference Final (best-of-seven):

2-4. :(

The San Jose Sharks lost Game 6 at the St. Louis Blues. :(

Next up: preseason for the 2019-2020 NHL season.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So proud of the Sharks. Left for dead after Round 1 Game 4, fought back to extend our season for another full month :) I still remembered getting ready to lower down that Sharks flag a month ago (or maybe I did? LOL)

Anyhow, just lowered the Sharks flag and hung up my Quakes flag (yeah I threw that free one away but a coworker gave me her free one after our 3rd win hahhaha!).

At least the Quakes are now giving me a reason to tune in--I wouldn't know what to do with all this time I got until September LOL

Quakes05 and Goodsport repped this.
  4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Man, the Sharks got so beaten up between Vegas and St. Louis I was amazed they made it this far. PDB is either unwilling or incapable of making adjustments - as evidenced by the fact that we won all three games one and lost all three games two. Sort of reminds me of a Quakes coach or two...

I wonder if Pavs will ever be 100% again. :notworthy:

Goodsport and bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7030 Goodsport, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Agreed, the San Jose Sharks pretty much ran out of gas via attrition. :(

Besides Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski having already been shaken by teeth-shattering blows and concussions throughout the playoffs (with Pavelski also missing today's game), both Erik Karlsson and Tomas Hertl were also unavailable. It was already obvious in Game 5 that the team was done. :(

Not to mention that even if all the Sharks players were available, the St. Louis Blues as a team is still that much faster... and the Boston Bruins are even faster still. The Sharks would've been unlikely to prevail with the Cup any more than they could've prevailed against the faster Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2016 Finals. :(

Incidentally, the Golden State Warriors had some attrition as well in their playoff journey lately (namely, DeMarcus Cousins, Kevin Durant and Andre Iguodala), but the Warriors are still more supremely talented for basketball than the Sharks are for hockey and thankfully did make the finals. While Cousins is out until next season, hopefully the week-long rest until the NBA Finals begin on Thursday, May 30th will give Durant and Iguodala enough time to heal up and play.

As for the Sharks, while they shouldn't ditch all of their veterans, they do need to get much younger and faster if they want to be able to jump that final hurdle and win the whole thing.

-G

Quakes05 repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21-26. :)

-G

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Don't you know? She's currently persona non grata for some explicitly racist songs she recorded back in the day....

[​IMG]

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    BTW - one more comment on the Sharks and then I'm out. The Sharks had one questionable play in this series (hand-pass anyone?), and after that, the NHL totally turned its collective back on the head-hunting the Blues engaged in. It's no coincidence that Pavelski, Hertl and E. Karlsson were not available for the last game, as the Blues had been targeting those three from the get-go. However, apparently head shots are AOK in the playoffs according to the NHL. I, for one, look forward to hearing the outraged cries from St. Louis when Chara knocks Pietrangelo's head off....

bobby_guzman and Goodsport repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    . . . But if Smith can be condemned on the basis of two songs, what are we to make of Paul Robeson, truly a black superhero before his time? He was a star college football player, gifted student, powerful singer, commanding actor (“Show Boat,” “Othello”) and, to the end of his days, a radical and fiery civil rights activist. He, too, recorded “That’s Why Darkies Were Born.” Possibly, his take was ironic . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...29b90efa879_story.html?utm_term=.4216f8dcaba1

Love how the Washington Post thinks the song might "possibly" be ironic when it stinks of irony. It's not a racist song, but obviously an anti-racist song.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do I detect a hint of criticism of referees from you? :)

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The state of refereeing in the NHL is atrocious. There is almost no consistency in the way calls are handled game to game, and things get progressively worse through the playoffs since there is a lot of incentive not to call things, or to call them for lesser infractions than is probably the case.

I said it before and I'll say it again, playoff hockey is typically the worst hockey of the season. The league pays a lot of lip service about protecting players, and occasionally you'll see some suspensions, but most of it goes underpunished or unpunished completely. And it's hard to fix because like in other sports, players grew up playing the game a certain way and they don't want to change, even if it's in the best interest of their overall health.

It'll be hard to give up watching hockey altogether as half of my family is very invested, but it's beginning to interest me less and less the way the NFL has.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And always has been.

brett_hull_remembered_for_taintedgoal.jpeg

The Sharks benefitted from some highly questionable calls this past postseason, so they have no reason to complain about the officials.

Further, NHL teams cannot rely on the officials to prevent mayhem, which is why smart teams employer enforcers (goons). The Sharks need to do the same. If some thug on Vegas or St. Louis is going to headhunt, retaliate in kind. It's called vigilantism, or self-help. It's part of the culture of the game.

tenfourteen repped this.
  13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Sharks might not have reason to complain, but as a spectator of the sport, I do. Whether bad calls helped the Sharks or not, they have been unjustifiably bad.

I'm fully aware of the culture surrounding this, and it is not a good thing. The risk to players is not worth whatever enjoyment people get out of the hits. It's similar to retaliation in baseball, which is one of the worst aspects of how the game is actually played.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I entirely agree with you. But it is what it is and long has been. Indeed it was once far worse. International hockey is gentlemanly and beautiful, but the NHL is run by troglodytes.

My point is that if the Sharks aspire to the Stanley Cup, they will need to adapt to their environment.

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No - the referees refereed this series the same as all the other playoff series - which is to say that an entirely different standard was applied than was followed for the rest of the season. I believe that is on the league, not the referees.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Glad to see you're consistent in your ideology of officialdom infallibility. :)

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Long suffering Blues fans." Backstory: the St. Louis Blues have not been to the Stanley Cup final in nearly 50 years, after qualifying in each of its first three seasons.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26798761/for-long-suffering-blues-fans-players-different

I have a somewhat different perspective. St. Louisans are great sports fans, and there probably is a hard core of Blues fans who have suffered over that period -- but there are likely fewer of them than the size of the crowd at Avaya last Saturday to see Wondo break the record.

I went to college in St. Louis in the early 1980s, and I attended lots of Blues games, being a rabid hockey fan from Buffalo. The NHL hockey culture in St. Louis was even more tepid than the MLS soccer culture in San Jose today, albeit better than the Bay Area hockey culture in the late 1980s before the Sharks arrived.

One anecdote in particular encapsulates the wasteland that was the NHL in St. Louis in the early '80s: The Blues were playing the Sabres in Buffalo, and not having a TV in my apartment (or a car), I walked to a nearby popular bar on Delmar in University City and asked that the game be shown on the one TV. (This was in the days before sports bars and ubiquitous flat-screens). The owner refused, pointing out that there were other people in the bar who were watching whatever sitcom happened to be on at the time. None of the dozen or so in the bar appeared to be looking at the TV and when I loudly polled the entire assortment, none had any objections to putting the hockey game on, but likewise none were affirmatively interested in seeing the game. Notwithstanding the absence of objection, the owner stood his ground and I left.

Such a thing would have been unheard of in Buffalo, not to mention Canada. If the local hockey team was playing on TV, the whole city watched, and every bar owner would at least give the pretense of caring deeply.

Goodsport repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    St Louis is a baseball town, first, last and always. Crazy mad for baseball, and rather tepid regarding other sports.

Goodsport repped this.
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21-27. :(

-G

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Cardinals have historically been a very good team, usually competing for a division title, at the very least. When your other option was the Rams, it's easy to see why they wouldn't care much. Although the Blues have had success in terms of attendance and the like, especially lately. Though they, too, have had serious ups and downs.

Although I do not understand some things about that team, like playing Take Me Home, Country Roads despite the team being named for another song entirely, and also not being West Virginia, and the stupid truck horn sound telling them all when to chant the incredibly creative "Let's Go Blues". And of course, the seemingly complete lack of anything related to actual Blues music at all.

Sports teams are really stupid is what I'm saying.

Goodsport repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And before the Rams moved there from Los Angeles (or more accurately, from Anaheim) in time for the 1995 NFL season, St. Louis' NFL team was the Cardinals before it moved and became the Phoenix Cardinals in 1988 (renamed to the Arizona Cardinals in 1994).

IIRC, St. Louis is the only city in NFL history to have lost two different NFL franchises, something even Oakland doesn't have a claim to. :eek:

-G

hc897 repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They were known as "Big Red" to distinguish them from the Redbirds baseball Cardinals.

I knew the pro football team's photographer, the late Herb Weitman, through my work-study job with my college alumni office. I have a framed graduation day impromptu photo taken by him when I ran across him on a campus path while still in my gown post-ceremony.

Weitman's 2016 obituary:

https://source.wustl.edu/2016/01/herbert-weitman-obit/

Goodsport repped this.