When NWSL expands, who are the top head coaching candidates?

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Sep 19, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    So of course, we have Charlie Naimo and Paul Riley still sitting out there.
    Any college coaches that may come to the league during expansion?
    Steve Swanson? Mark Krikorian? Randy Waldrum? Tom Stone?

Let's say the league expands from 8 to 12 teams in 2015?
    Who are the top four head coaching candidates that intrigue you the most?

Is Hope Powell a serious candidate?

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Powell, no. She's done, except maybe in a country that's trying to establish the sport. You can probably scratch Riley off the list as well, most indications are showing he'll be the one to take Powell's spot at the helm of the English national team. Though that might not be saying much, considering the Athletica were able to nab Brazil's head coach...

Until NWSL proves to be stable, I'd be surprised if college coaches take NWSL coaching gigs. You'd probably be better looking at WPSL/W-League coaches in general. And any WPSL/W-League teams that self-promote into NWSL are likely to keep their coaches, I would think. (Houston and LA particularly come to mind)

3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes Powell isn't good at actually coaching but great on getting people to notice Women's soccer. She do well as WNT coach in a country trying to establish the sport or possibly as a Manager without coaching duties.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, I think any long term college coach will want to stay put. But you might see assistant coaches stuck behind those long term coaches leave for MLS backed teams (like CPC). Even though a lot of people criticized her throughout the season, I'm sure she'd have no trouble finding another coaching job, if the NWSL were to fail, after winning the championship.